Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we that blind and forgetful?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Villain wrote: »
    I see your logic the problem is most people voted for parties in the last general based on their mandate, however a lot of that has been done away with in the last few months,so should we have another general election becasue they were mis-informed?

No, because the government changed their position (or broke their promise, depending which way you look at it). The Lisbon treaty hasn't changed. What people voted for in the election is not what it on the table now, but in order for the treaty to change (post-ratification) there would have to be a new vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rengaw

seamus wrote: »
    No, I read the friggin' things before I sign them. :rolleyes:

It wasn't rocket science. If you could read, you could understand it.

Very early on, a Libertas cohort came out and said, "I'm a big rich businessman. I've read this and it makes no sense. So don't bother reading it, it's nonsensical".

And a lot of people seemed to listen. Without fail, every single person who told me that they didn't know what it was about or didn't understand it, hadn't read a single piece of literature about it.

Libertas distributed 35,000 copies of the Foundation for EU Democracy's readable version of the Lisbon treaty free to members of the public while they were canvassing. Doesn't seem to fall in line with the "so don't bother reasding it" line very well. They were the only ones to distribute the treaty, giving people the document they were being asked to vote on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Rengaw wrote: »
    Libertas distributed 35,000 copies of the Foundation for EU Democracy's readable version of the Lisbon treaty free to members of the public while they were canvassing. Doesn't seem to fall in line with the "so don't bother reasding it" line very well. They were the only ones to distribute the treaty, giving people the document they were being asked to vote on.

Any link to that document? Was it one of those "readable" versions as interpreted by a eurosceptic, twisting the wording of the treaty to convey every imaginable evil? I think there were a few of those knocking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

oscarBravo wrote: »

Maybe you need to get out more.

Really Oscarbravo, that's not really becoming of you or your charter. At least you accept my Eurosceptic stance as a valid reason for voting no.

PS Sorry about the delay in responding, I was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rengaw

Any link to that document? Was it one of those "readable" versions as interpreted by a eurosceptic, twisting the wording of the treaty to convey every imaginable evil? I think there were a few of those knocking around.

Didn't see any of those myself so no, it wasn't. Also strange that there was no official readable version.

http://www.j.dk/images/bondes/Consolidated_LISBON_TREATY_3.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Rengaw wrote: »
    Didn't see any of those myself so no, it wasn't. Also strange that there was no official readable version.

http://www.j.dk/images/bondes/Consolidated_LISBON_TREATY_3.pdf

What you've linked to there is a consolidated version. The official consolidated version has been available since mid-May.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement