Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Case

Options
  • 12-11-2008 1:09pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a nice system, but it's a bit noisey, the fan are on manual control at the front, I was thinking of getting a new case that'll be nice an quite while looking after all my cooling needs as well, any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

SPCR seems to be where an awful lot of people go for quiet computing stuff. Cases Section

I use an Antec Sonata III, with the components chosen with a view to being quiet. After changing the CPU heatsink and VGA sink and fan its barely audible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Snickit

Clareman wrote: »
    Nah, this. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That doesn't make note of being quite though, it does mention liquid cooling which I don't have, I'm confused now.................

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

That doesn't make note of being quite though, it does mention liquid cooling which I don't have, I'm confused now.................
    I'm confused aswell, what do you want?
    Full tower, mid tower?
    Price range?
    Do you care if its easy on the eye or is it going to b shoved under a desk?

Could you give some more details pls?
    Would I be right in saying you want a quiet case without watercooling and without a psu?

Have a look at quiet PC's recommendations in cases here

• Advertisement

Mid would be fine, it'll be left in teh desk so it doesn't matter that much what it looks like, the case I have at the moment is a noisey beast that you can hear all over the house when it's on so I want to change it. I'd be willing to go the watercooling route if required.

Price wize, not sure, I guess 300/400 the lot if it was spot on. I'm just replacing an existing case so power doesn't matter that much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Mid would be fine, it'll be left in teh desk so it doesn't matter that much what it looks like, the case I have at the moment is a noisey beast that you can hear all over the house when it's on so I want to change it. I'd be willing to go the watercooling route if required.

Price wize, not sure, I guess 300/400 the lot if it was spot on. I'm just replacing an existing case so power doesn't matter that much

The you will not go wrong with either the antec p180/p182.
    (p182 is a slight revision with better cable managment get this if you can over the p180)

Both cases are extremely quiet, have fantastic airflow and very thick cladding on the doors fo the case to reduce noise.

Either will serve you well.

I would also pick up some scythe flex 120mm case fans and use these instead of the default Antec ones. They can be found on this page
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/manufacturers/scythe

The Antec ones are ok but I have found the scythe felx fans to best over all.
    (I have an antec p180 with a mix of 1200/1600RPM scythe flex fans)

I think I'll go for the 182 so, might throw in a new power supply for myself, I've noticed a few crashes recently that might be power related.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Why not the antec 900 .Its the best case imo and hasnt failed me once

That's a nice case, looks noisey though (don't just a book by the cover, I know).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I think I'll go for the 182 so, might throw in a new power supply for myself, I've noticed a few crashes recently that might be power related.

Look at either a seasonic or a corsair power supply. Top quality and quiet.

The Antec 900 is a good case, but has a windows kit and the front is all mesh: a lot of noise leakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I have a p180 grand case and all but a bit awkward to work in just so you know. What i would suggest would be a large case with some very low noise/speed fans. aformentioned Scythes are great.
    The antec fans are awful by the way absolutely have to be replaced where noise is concerned.

Maybe Lian Li or Silverstone would be worth a look at that budget.

Thse are very large and my reasoning is the have great airflow and therefore don't need quite as much force to push air through so very low noise fans suit.

http://www.xcase.co.uk/p/549006/lian-li-pc-a77b-aluminium-case-black---no-psu---free-delivery.html

PS what is the full spec of your build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I have this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=347240 with 9 120mm fans and it's very quiet, these are the fans http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=316880, the case is cool, lots of room for everything

Advertisement