Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy locally or go to Cargiant?

Options
  • 12-11-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I am looking to acquire a 04-05 Honda Accord with a budget of around 10k, and I have been researching like no tomorrow and ended up with two choices.

There's a guy an hour away from me selling an 04 Accord Exec, 83k, 17" alloys, Full leather, Heated seats etc. He himself is into importing and selling cars from his backyard and he gets them serviced locally. He will also give 6 months warranty and will get the car NCT'd and VRT'd etc. I am no expert but car looks aright, except for a lot of tiny scratches in the bodywork, like someone washed with a metal brush or something. He final price is 12k.

On the other hand, I can go to Cargiant.co.uk, 04-05 Accords with similar spec goes for about 5000 to 5500 sterling (approx €6500) and VRT is approx €4000. Plus flights (approx €100) and ferry back (€200), and a full service at local (Honda?) garage (may be €600?) etc, which is approx 11k and a bit. On the plus side, I will get to pick from a number of cars at Cargiant, try out the estate version etc.

I need the car ASAP and I can't make up my mind between these two options..! :o

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Maf180

I bought a 04 Avensis in February this year from Cargiant and have had nothing but problems with it. The car had a full Toyota service history and CRO.

After getting it over here, the starter motor needed changing. Admittedly Cargiant paid for this. Since however, the Clutch and fly wheel have gone costing me €2k. So amy saving I made has gone.

Unless you are a mechanic and know a good car from a bad one I would avoid Cargiant. They do a 113 point check on cars, which when buying would mean the car would be hassle free. But I was very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭positron

Whoa, that's a lot of problems for a Toyota, supposed to be reliable and all... Hmmm. What do they check their 113 point check? Also is there a need to get an RAC check when you buy from CarGiant?

I saw a car with a cargiant sticker as I stepped out of the house this morning, I was thinking may be I should go there, but now I am less certain..!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Maf180 wrote: »
    I bought a 04 Avensis in February this year from Cargiant and have had nothing but problems with it. The car had a full Toyota service history and CRO.

After getting it over here, the starter motor needed changing. Admittedly Cargiant paid for this. Since however, the Clutch and fly wheel have gone costing me €2k. So amy saving I made has gone.

Unless you are a mechanic and know a good car from a bad one I would avoid Cargiant. They do a 113 point check on cars, which when buying would mean the car would be hassle free. But I was very wrong.

The exact same thing could have happened if you had bought from a local garage so I wouldn't be deterred from Cargiant based on one users experience.

Maf180 wrote: »

Just wondering if you get the car checked out with a Toyota dealer after getting it over? I am curious because what if Toyota had spotted that the clutch would soon need replacement, would Cargiant cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

hi, im in the exact same boat as the OP. torn between cargiant and local.

The selection on cargiant seems to be alot better, but theres the hassel of traveling and importing(vrt etc..)and then when you get there what do you do if you dont find the one you want. Youll have to go home empty handed!
    These days, I'd go with the local guy. The accord exec has the same spec in england as it has in ireland, and I think the six month warrenty would out weigh any savings via, piece of mind and time saved.
    You say you need a car asap, id go local! pity you cant wait till the new year, surely theyll be cheaper.

• Advertisement

Thanks stek, fair points - however - I think I will go to Cargiant now for a number of reasons - the local "dealer" is not a proper dealer, he is more like someone importing and selling cars from his backyard. I am worried he might not be around another six months to support the warranty he is offering, especially considering the state of the car sales these days...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Would it be cheaper to wait and buy a used car in the new year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Again the clutch and DM flywheel is an issue is some avensis models. Its a shame that its happened to someone bringing a car back from the UK but no matter where or who you buy a second hand car from there's always an element of risk involved. My experience is Cargiant are worth the trip. I know of one taxi driver who buys a car from them every two years and in fact he religously bought Passat's until last year he bought a Honda Accord i-CDTI. Its a lovely car. DOn't think he'd go back to a passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Have a look at the Eur / Stg 1€ur = 0.85p rate at the moment. It makes it very attractive to go to the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Moanin wrote: »
    Have a look at the Eur / Stg 1€ur = 0.85p rate at the moment. It makes it very attractive to go to the UK

Bang on there with the sterling.I'd go for Cargiant.Good choice of Accord diesels at the moment.Bring a mechanic with you if you can, if you dont know a lot about cars.There's a 91 pound admin. fee on each car they sell so bear that in mind..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you could also try http://www.unbeatablecar.ie/

5 min drive from Gatwick airport so flights are plenty with Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    you could also try http://www.unbeatablecar.ie/

I just had a look. They're quite expensive compared to the opposition!

I agree.

Scott suggested http://www.autoquake.com/, and I like they way they have detailed pictures and description of the vehicle condition. Better prices too. But Cargiant has more choices for you to test drive on the day.

I wonder if the good euro/sterling rate will stay like this till new year? :)

Positron, go for cargiant so.. Could you please let me know how you get on? Id be very interested. Best of luck with your venture!

have you checked this site from Northern Ireland? might save you a ferry ride..
    http://www.usedcarsni.com/home_page.php

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

positron wrote: »

If your paying by cash, and have the cash at the minute then you could always take out sterling at the minute! Thats what I have just done!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

stek wrote: »
    have you checked this site from Northern Ireland? might save you a ferry ride..
    http://www.usedcarsni.com/home_page.php

Cars are generally cheaper in the UK mainland than they are up in the North. I know folks living outside Newry who buy their cars in the UK because of the savings.

Like anything you pay for the convienence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Scottie99

positron wrote: »
    I agree.

Scott suggested http://www.autoquake.com/, and I like they way they have detailed pictures and description of the vehicle condition. Better prices too. But Cargiant has more choices for you to test drive on the day.

TOP SECRET:D

Advertisement