Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should there be an Ireland Olympic football team?

• 12-11-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Proposal for a GB Olympics team in 2012 is gathering steam, throwing up some interesting questions as to who's who.

Should there be an Irish team? And who should be on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Most definitely.

But sure doesn't it depend on how you do in under 21 competition as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just let all the LOI players play on it. None of the National team players.
    Then the LOI fanboys can stop whinging about not getting on a national team.
    And the National Team fanboys can be happy as we still have the same real National team.

Everybody's Happy*

*Fully aware LOI fanboys will not be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Exactly, the talk in GB is only relevant as they will be the hosts and therefore have a spot, but seen as they play in the u-21 champs as four seperate teams but are part of one team in the olympics is where the debate has come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But sure doesn't it depend on how you do in under 21 competition as well?
    Don't know how it works tbh. But if so, if we were going for an Olympic team effort then one would assume that would mean more effort at u21, and also might affect the, ahem, selection process.
    Would it also upset boys in green fanboys by affecting player (e.g. the I'm not Irish but I'm Catholic brigade) decisions on who to declare for?
    Would Niall McGinn play for GB, since he plays for NI, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Frisbee wrote: »
    Just let all the LOI players play on it. None of the National team players.
    Then the LOI fanboys can stop whinging about not getting on a national team.
    Actually, we already have an U23 team comprised of LOI players. There are also several LOI players represented at U21 level.

Check. Mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I can imagine, should it happen, the Irish team playing the GB team being an utterly confusing state of affairs for anyone outside of the two countries. Ty and explain Clinton in a green jersey to a yank! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ty and explain Clinton in a green jersey to a yank! :confused:
    In fairnes, Freddy Adu only plays for the US because his ma won a green card lottery and shipped the family over from Ghana when he was a little lad.

His link to the US is far less than Morrison's to Ireland.

Also, there's 40m Americans who claim to be Irish, even though most of them are about 3G or 4G at this stage.

In fairnes, Freddy Adu only plays for the US because his ma won a green card lottery and shipped the family over from Ghana when he was a little lad.

His link to the US is far less than Morrison's to Ireland.
    From what you say, it seems he's lived in the US most of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It wasn't a political issue for (Republic of) Ireland football in qualifiers for Beijing, Athens or Sydney, so why should 2012 be any different?

We (the FAI, Eire, ROI whatever) will enter a team in the qualifiers for the 2011 Uefa U-21 championships, and if we get to the semifinals of that competition we will also qualify for the following summers Olympics. The qualifiers will be starting in just over 12 months so I don't think there is any time/inclination to do it any other way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can imagine, should it happen, the Irish team playing the GB team being an utterly confusing state of affairs for anyone outside of the two countries. Ty and explain Clinton in a green jersey to a yank! :confused:
    Plenty of athletes at the Olympics already take advantage of the citizenship rules...

It wasn't a political issue for (Republic of) Ireland football in qualifiers for Beijing, Athens or Sydney, so why should 2012 be any different?

We (the FAI, Eire, ROI whatever) will enter a team in the qualifiers for the 2011 Uefa U-21 championships, and if we get to the semifinals of that competition we will also qualify for the following summers Olympics. The qualifiers will be starting in just over 12 months so I don't think there is any time/inclination to do it any other way.
    Would things not be different if GB had a team? And what of this bit?
    An Olympic football team would be primarily made up of players under-23, with three over-age footballers also allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

SectionF wrote: »
    Would things not be different if GB had a team? And what of this bit?

I don't think it would change at all from Irelands point of view - Olympic soccer is ran under FIFA rules and what happens in NI/Scot/Eng/Wales has no bearing on us.

The qualifiers being an U21 tournament one year before the U23 (+3) finals is an ananchronism alright, but hasn't bothered anyone up to now.

As i said the qualifiers start in about 15 months, and going by our previous U21 campaigns this will stop being an issue in about 16 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

I don't think it would change at all from Irelands point of view - Olympic soccer is ran under FIFA rules and what happens in NI/Scot/Eng/Wales has no bearing on us.

The qualifiers being an U21 tournament one year before the U23 (+3) finals is an ananchronism alright, but hasn't bothered anyone up to now.

As i said the qualifiers start in about 15 months, and going by our previous U21 campaigns this will stop being an issue in about 16 months.

Or they have ended already if Don Givens is still the manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not if it requires funding. There's little of it to go round as it is for Olympic sports...

Advertisement