Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of trading up

Options
  • 12-11-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 99 Nissan Micra GX car which is in good runningorder (60000) miles on the clock and I was thinking of buying a 08 or 07 car (Ford Fiesta/Renaualt Clio type hatchback). I would not need a big car becasue I have no kids. I was wondering is now a good time to go to a dealership and trade up or would i be best off waiting till the new year. I heard its a good time to get a car with a surplus of vehicles for sale with the economic downturn. Also if I went to a dealer how much do you reckon he would reduce the cost of the failry new car if I traded in my Micra.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No one wants trade ins, especially low value ones, you'd get next to nothing on your micra, you'd get a better deal with cash only and no trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

To answer your last question ...not at all, the dealer will just make it look as if.

The last hing a dealer wants at the moment is yet another used car clogging up their yard. Sell the Micra privatly and then bargain like you never bargained before for your "new" car with cash in hand and no cumbersome trade-in

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No one wants trade ins, especially low value ones, you'd get next to nothing on your micra, you'd get a better deal with cash only and no trade in.

I had exactly the opposite experience. They were very interested in my 99 Passat as they could put it out to trade. Valued by different dealers at anywhere between €1500 and €3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The value of your car probably won't drop as much as the value of the car you want to buy, so I would hang on. Even as bad as the 2nd hand market is, I would imagine that your micra would still be pretty desirable to a lot of new drivers, so why not have a go selling it yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 buzzbuzzbuzz

I also had the opposite experience, i had one dealer offer me 1250 for my 96 nissan micra and the other 700. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A Micra is a popular car for beginners and you might find it easier then you think to sell privately.

Sure give a go at selling it privately and then you can haggle as hard as you can for your next car

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

People are too obsessed with the trade-in value of their old car. The important price is the "cost to change" price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »
    The important price is the "cost to change" price.

+ a million.

If you can afford to, keep your micra and buy straight deal. I bet the cost to change would be the same if you kept your micra, or if you traded it in.( Example, the new car is 10,000. They give you a cost to change of 9,000. And at the same time they give you a straight deal price of 9,000. Then you sell your micra for 1,500 or whatever it's worth, then your cost to change if down to 7,500.)

Keep your car, sell it privately, and bargain to your hearts content on a straight deal.

Advertisement