Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Bravia 40" LCD-TV KDL-40V4000

Options
  • 12-11-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

Can any one recommend this TV? I've read great things about it but when i seen it working in Curry's i wasn't blown away. I guess this may have been due to their set up?

I can get it for €805 online but would like to get some other opinions before i take the plunge.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

markc1983 wrote: »
    Hi

Can any one recommend this TV? I've read great things about it but when i seen it working in Curry's i wasn't blown away. I guess this may have been due to their set up?

I can get it for €805 online but would like to get some other opinions before i take the plunge.

Thanks

I think its the best 40"/42" full HD LCD available for the price.I saw it working in a currys too and it had way better blacks than any other tv in that price range. Where can you get it for 805e if you dont mind me asking. if thats from laptopsdirect, they charge about 60e for delivery...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 markc1983

Its from amazon.co.uk, they don't deliver to the republic but I have a relation in the North so i can get it shipped to them for free. Its currently in Curry's for €999.99 so its a big saving.

I was just having some doubts as I've read a few posts on the net about poor image quality when there was allot of movement on the screen, panning for example. Majority of reports are positive though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I just bought one in the sony centre for €999 plus free blu ray player. I think its a bargain at that price.

See my thread in bargain alerts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 OverTheTop

anyone know where the best place to buy this is?

is this the same tv? there a 'u' at the end?
    Sony Bravia 40 Inch 1080p Full HD LCD TV - KDL40V4000U

Yeah, its the same tv. The "U" just stands for UK

The best place to buy this in you local shop(:D) but the cheapest place is from Laptopsdirect.ie or from RicherSounds

• Advertisement

OverTheTop wrote: »
    anyone know where the best place to buy this is?

is this the same tv? there a 'u' at the end?
    Sony Bravia 40 Inch 1080p Full HD LCD TV - KDL40V4000U

Its 999 in the Sony centers but i got them down to 900.

Where did you see it with the 'U'. I read somewhere it stud for UK but not sure? Don't think there is any difference.

tvdv2.jpg

sorry for this but on the laptops direct website it says full hd, but i was in pc world today and it said hd ready and some other websites it says hd ready. Whats the story with that?

http://www.nextag.co.uk/SONY-KDL40V4000-40-HD-1507262100/uk/prices-html

Dont worry about that. The 40V4000 is definitely Full HD. Be aware, though, that its the 40" only thats Full HD, The 37v4000, 32v4000 and 25v4000 are all only HD ready, not Full HD.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

OverTheTop wrote: »
    sorry for this but on the laptops direct website it says full hd, but i was in pc world today and it said hd ready and some other websites it says hd ready. Whats the story with that?

http://www.nextag.co.uk/SONY-KDL40V4000-40-HD-1507262100/uk/prices-html

Some of them have HD Read and then 1080p underneath

• Advertisement

One last question, can someone tell me the difference between these two tvs, found a good deal on the kdl40L4000 and was wondering those anyone know the diffeence because im not good with this sort of stuff.

http://www.sony.ie/comparison/kdl40v4000u/kdl40l4000u

It would appear that, technically, the two tvs are exactly the same. The L has 2 hdmi ports, though, whereas the V has 3 ports. The stand on the L is fixed rather than the stand on the V that can swivel. In appearance, the V has a glossy black bezel but the L has just a plain matte black one. Nothing major really

Where'd you find the good deal on the 40L4000, if you dont mind me askin?? Its just i'm lookin for a nice tv around this size too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

RicherSounds are doing the V model for €755 or €831 with 5 yr warranty .
    I'm deciding on a TV at the moment, 40-42" max budget €1000-1100, with 5 yr warranty and was seriously considering the Samsung LE40A686... Would ye recommend the Sony over the Samsung?

Thanks

Q.

No, a 40a686 would be better than the 40v4000. The sony rival for the 686 is the the 40w4000. If you could get both for the same price, get the samsung.

BTW, have you found out if Richersounds can deliver the 40v4000?? I know that they cant deliver some tvs down south due to supply issues.

Thanks for the advice.
    Zonda999 wrote: »
    BTW, have you found out if Richersounds can deliver the 40v4000?? I know that they cant deliver some tvs down south due to supply issues.

Never checked with them on the phone, and they never replied to an email I sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

Sony 40L4000 which has the exact same spec as the sony 40V4000 on sale in Musgraves Cash and Carry in Galway for €599, absoule bargain and will be picking one up myself

yeah-buddy wrote: »
    Sony 40L4000 which has the exact same spec as the sony 40V4000 on sale in Musgraves Cash and Carry in Galway for €599, absoule bargain and will be picking one up myself

Is that including vat?? And can anyone just go in and but one?? I thought musgraves were trade only.

Theres one of them in Cork too. I wonder if they have them...

No, a 40a686 would be better than the 40v4000. The sony rival for the 686 is the the 40w4000. If you could get both for the same price, get the samsung.

Actually was looking at the Sony KDL40W4500 today in a Sony Centre, of course the salesman was saying it was better than the Samsung 40A686, would you agree and would it be worth the few extra quid?

edit:- Actually - just looking up a few reviews of this TV, and some say SD is not great on it. The Tv will be used for mainly SD Television and DVD watching (plus a little PS3 gaming and Blueray) would a Plasma be a better option as Plasma seem to be recommended for SD???

thanks,
    Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

Is that including vat?? And can anyone just go in and but one?? I thought musgraves were trade only.

Theres one of them in Cork too. I wonder if they have them...
    o ya sorry forgot about the vat, my bad, you can just say you own a b&b or something and they give you an account or borrow someones elses account number who owns some sort of business

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Actually was looking at the Sony KDL40W4500 today in a Sony Centre, of course the salesman was saying it was better than the Samsung 40A686, would you agree and would it be worth the few extra quid?

edit:- Actually - just looking up a few reviews of this TV, and some say SD is not great on it. The Tv will be used for mainly SD Television and DVD watching (plus a little PS3 gaming and Blueray) would a Plasma be a better option as Plasma seem to be recommended for SD???

thanks,
    Q.

Not sure really. Many people say it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. The only reason i'm gettin an lcd because ps3 gaming will be a a big part of it. No denying that a plasma is better for SD viewing, though. Its just a question how much priority SD viewing is. You actually might not mind gaming on a plasma. I absolutely hate it but there are some that say its fine. Your best bet is to just give it a try. If you dont mind gaming on a plasma, then i definitely think it would be a better option. If so, a panasonic 42pz80 should do the trick

• Advertisement

Cheers Zonda, this just gets more diffulcult the more you look into it.

I suppose in reality the Tv will be for DVD's most, so perhaps the Sony KDL40W4500 would be my best option as it seems to be better than the Samsung 40A686.

I suppose in reality the Tv will be for DVD's most, so perhaps the Sony KDL40W4500 would be my best option as it seems to be better than the Samsung 40A686.

Yeah, the w4500 would be a bit better than the Sammy alright. Let us know how you get on:)

Just got a 40W4500 last week. I've only viewed SD on it so far but the picture is absolutely fantastic. It seems like a great TV so far and i would highly recommend it.

markc1983 wrote: »
    Just got a 40W4500 last week. I've only viewed SD on it so far but the picture is absolutely fantastic. It seems like a great TV so far and i would highly recommend it.

Thanks, if you don't mind me asking, where'd you buy and how much? I will be connecting to Sky via a Coaxial is that what you're using or is it via Scart you are using?
    Let us know how you get on:)

Will do, thanks.

Thanks, if you don't mind me asking, where'd you buy and how much? I will be connecting to Sky via a Coaxial is that what you're using or is it via Scart you are using?

i used a friends address in the north and got it from amazon.co.uk for €1060. Got the stand there too for €60. Its just using an aerial, so coaxial, and because of where I live its also picking up digital freeview from northern Ireland. The DVD is using scart and it has an excellent picture also.

I haven't seen the samsung you spoke of but I'd be impressed if the picture was noticeably better? The Sony's seems perfect. The sony centers seem good here, one even reduced there price by 10% when i said i could get it cheaper on the net.

Sony Centre in Sligo have it for 1499 inc a Free Blue Ray Player which he would swap out for a Sony DAV260 Home Cinema System which I want instead. Still €200+ dearer than Richersounds, so I might try and see if they will drop a few quid. I assume the Richersounds one won't work with Irish Freeview (mpeg4???)

Sony Centre in Sligo have it for 1499 inc a Free Blue Ray Player which he would swap out for a Sony DAV260 Home Cinema System which I want instead. Still €200+ dearer than Richersounds, so I might try and see if they will drop a few quid. I assume the Richersounds one won't work with Irish Freeview (mpeg4???)

Check for extended guarantees too, it one i got came with 3 years.

I would assume it would work as well as any you get here, i believe the W4500 is mpeg4 compatible. I wasn't really concerned about it because I bought a sony with freeview from the uk about a year ago while the digital trials were on here and it worked fine. I figured if there was a problem it would have shown up then?

The w4500 will definitely work with the mpeg4 DTT trials here. 99% chance it'll work with the actual full service here next year

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Sorry guys but what is SD viewing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Standard Definition.....non HD sources.

Advertisement