Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 new Aldi Stores announced

Options
  • 12-11-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

And still no mention of one for Bray or surrounding area. Nearest one is at the Ilac centre :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Surprising, so nothing in north Wilka at all?

Apart from that, its proof that the right business model can thrive in hard times.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

yes its absolutley wonderful, 35 new stores bringing 650 new jobs to ireland , wonderful thats 18 new jobs per store, yup 18 what a bonus to the country that is , your local shop would employ that many staff with a tenth of the turnover, but sure all the suppliers will be happy aaaahhh yeah but most of them are in germany or the north, and dont forget that all the profits will be sent back to germany.

dont forget the small shops in the towns that they go to ,will lose jobs as a result so the net effect will be [EMAIL="f@*k"]f@*k[/EMAIL] all new jobs with a huge exodus of cash to germany.

wonderful wonderful news !!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Jaysus christ there really is no pleasing some people!!

a bit of healthy competition is a good thing is it not and if this brings the prices in other stores down to a more realistic level as they will have to be more competitive is only a good thing for all us customers.

The days of being ripped off by the cartels is coming to an end people.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

I think it is wonderful news.
    If that was an attempt at sarcasm, it failed badly!
    If you actually took the time to look in Aldi, Lidl you would find a lot more Irish product in it than your tinted glasses would believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Its just as well Germany didn't win the war or we'd all be driving on German roads, in German cars to our German supermarkets....

:eek:

Wait a minute !!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

40% of Aldi stock is Irish sourced. Plenty of lidl is too.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Does anyone have a list of locations?

Aldi own a site in Clonsilla but have been refused planning permission for a development there. The nearest Aldis are Fonthill or Finglas.

i never said that there wasnt irish product in the stores , but if you look closely you will find that most of the irish products are from the north.

im not saying that they are not well run because they clearly are, what im saying is that we will pay for the cheap prices in the long run with lower employment in the actual sector and in the suppliers sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Shelflife wrote: »
    yes its absolutley wonderful, 35 new stores bringing 650 new jobs to ireland , wonderful thats 18 new jobs per store, yup 18 what a bonus to the country that is , your local shop would employ that many staff with a tenth of the turnover, but sure all the suppliers will be happy aaaahhh yeah but most of them are in germany or the north, and dont forget that all the profits will be sent back to germany.

dont forget the small shops in the towns that they go to ,will lose jobs as a result so the net effect will be f@*k all new jobs with a huge exodus of cash to germany.

wonderful wonderful news !!!!! :(

2 liter of milk €1.20 in Lidl
    2 liter of milk €2.50 at my local shop.

I am not that worried about the local going out of business if the reason is screwing customers with ridiculous prices.

Mike where did you pull that figure from??

• Advertisement

inforfun its not just the shop but the milk supplier and the farmer that goes out of business as well.

What a load of rubbish, your claims are not founded on anything other than your own opinions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

inforfun its not just the shop but the milk supplier and the farmer that goes out of business as well.

Yeah well... that is too bad for them then. Me being able to keep some money in my pocket is more of a concern to me than some subsidised farmer going out of business

thats grand inforfun but that would mean higher unemployment higher taxes and less money in your pocket.

maybe you dont work in the milk factory , but maybe you work in the accountants office that does the milk factories books, if they are gone then there are no books to be done so in turn you lose your job.

so you end up with less money in your pocket---- in the long term.

jayoose im merely taking a logical approach to the situation, explain where im going wrong please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

joolsveer wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list of locations?

Aldi own a site in Clonsilla but have been refused planning permission for a development there. The nearest Aldis are Fonthill or Finglas.

I know there is one being built in Balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Shelflife, Aldi are competing with other supermarkets, not local shops, for example, in my town Enniscorthy, Lidl and Aldi are side by side and about 50 metres away from a local Mace, the Mace shop is completely over-priced on every item and still does a cracking trade, in fact I would say its one of the most profitable business' in the town. Since Aldi and Lidl opened no staff have been let go and Mace have not lost out.

Now a fair comparison is Aldi versus other supermarkets in the town, and yes this has effected some and what they did to combat this was admirable and a far cry from whinging about competition. For example, pettitts which was Wexford owned was bought by supervalu and they have offered clubcard points, excellent weekly offers and more convenient opening hours and to my knowledge havent lost any jobs etc to Aldi/Lidl either.

I hope that sums up my disagreements on your previous posts with examples to back them up.

On sourcing of cheaper stock... Every shop in the country is trying its level best to get cheaper stock from China etc.

The point you made about farmers getting losing out, I agree with you there but its completely the Government and Europe's fault, not Aldi or Lidl

jayoose im merely taking a logical approach to the situation, explain where im going wrong please.

Your not being logical as these stores are not replacing anything they are providing people with alternatives. The spar/local shop is still going to be there, the suppliers are still going to be there, they will simply have to adjust their pricing strategies to be competitive. The price of foofstuffs etc have been extortionate in ireland for years so if anybody goes under from extra aldi/lidl shops opening then that is their own fault.

If your being logical then provide some evidence of a correlation between Aldi opening and Local shops etc closing..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Aldi don't even do much of the stuff that small local shop do, so they will still get their business.

Many people seem to also assume that many of their Irish products aren't Irish because they have not heard of them before. It's only because they are from smaller suppliers rather than the larger, often foreign owned multinationals, who bought previously Irish suppliers. So they are helping other smaller companies too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

inforfun wrote: »
    2 liter of milk €1.20 in Lidl
    2 liter of milk €2.50 at my local shop.
    I am not that worried about the local going out of business if the reason is screwing customers with ridiculous prices.

Which Lidl sells 2l of milk for €1.20?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

snubbleste wrote: »
    Which Lidl sells 2l of milk for €1.20?
    €1.65 in lidl aldi and tescos for 2ltr of milk

twonk you make some very valid points there, in my own experience there is a n aldi, lidl , and tesco in the town and many of the smaller shops didnt take on any summer staff ./ or not as many as their trade was down, i know that they are not competeting like with like but they are a drain on the local shops.

im not anti competition in fact i believe its healthy for business but we need to be careful in letting these huge multinational companies tesco/aldi/lidl waltz in and siphon up the local money and repatriate it.

they give very little back to the communities that they live in and in the case of aldi/lidl they dont even employ many people in comparasion to their turnover.

By and large people dont realise how big these companies are and how much buying power they have and influence they have. In the uk tesco have intimadated planning officials by threatening legal action if their planning permission is denied which would bankrupt the council. they lower prices to put smaller shops out of business and then put the prices up when they have effectively a monoploy in the area and yet the irish plannes are happy to let them build away merrily.

in the uk tesco in particular have decimated town centres and left towns without petrol stations so that local have to travel 10 -20 miles just to get fuel.

its just something to be wary of, beware of strangers bearing gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

im not anti competition in fact i believe its healthy for business but we need to be careful in letting these huge multinational companies tesco/aldi/lidl waltz in and siphon up the local money and repatriate it.

they give very little back to the communities that they live in and in the case of aldi/lidl they dont even employ many people in comparasion to their turnover.

By and large people dont realise how big these companies are and how much buying power they have and influence they have. they lower prices to put smaller shops out of business and then put the prices up when they have effectively a monoploy in the area and yet the irish plannes are happy to let them build away merrily.
    tw0nk wrote: »
    Aldi are competing with other supermarkets, not local shops, for example, in my town Enniscorthy, Lidl and Aldi are side by side and about 50 metres away from a local Mace, the Mace shop is completely over-priced on every item and still does a cracking trade, in fact I would say its one of the most profitable business' in the town. Since Aldi and Lidl opened no staff have been let go and Mace have not lost out.

Where is the proof that this going to happen Shelflife because IMO this is the kick up the arse the rip off merchants need.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

......but sure all the suppliers will be happy aaaahhh yeah but most of them are in germany or the north, and dont forget that all the profits will be sent back to germany.....

all the suppliers?
    40% of them are Irish, I know one local company to me that supplys both Aldi and Lidi in UK & Ireland as well as other supermarkets in Ireland

Would you prefer people shop at Tesco's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

High prices are not necessarily indicative of profiteering. There are other factors involved, in particular costs. Please folks, go to Wikipedia and read even the main page about economics before opening your mouth and advertising that you're a Star reader.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I understand that 2 litres of milk can be bought w/s for 1.07.

Lidl/aldi are not shops that interact competitively with traditional stores in the way that Tesco/Dunnes/Asda do. They are smaller shops, in Germany they are frequently located in town centres (and sometimes in Ireland too) and they don't attempt to sell a full range of goods.

a.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is there a list of places the shops are opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

ALDI seem to be taking over the world. They are opening up stores left, right and centre here. I don't have a problem with it at all because the other major supermarket chains have been ripping off consumers for years.

Some of blatant rip offs and gross profiteering that the chains have been engaging in are:
    • The fuel docket scam which saves you 4 cents a litre on petrol but which is passed on to food prices in store.
    • Selling products for the same price even though the manufacturer have sneakily kept the packaging the same size but reduced the weight.
    • Deliberately attempting to delay the introduction of 'unit pricing' which consumers have demanded and which ALDI have exploited.
    • Promoting high turnover/high profit junk food and soft drinks to lure consumers away from their local stores.
    • Their irresponsible price wars and use of loss leaders which is inevitably passed onto to the consumer.

Having said that the range of products in ALDI is a very limited and invariably I have to got back to said supermarkets to get what I need. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

35 stores?

buying out dunnes????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Aldi or Lidl are not even cheap anymore, no wonder they are opening more shops.:rolleyes:

Advertisement