Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 new Aldi Stores announced

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

dSTAR wrote: »
    ALDI seem to be taking over the world. They are opening up stores left, right and centre here. I don't have a problem with it at all because the other major supermarket chains have been ripping off consumers for years.

Some of blatant rip offs and gross profiteering that the chains have been engaging in are:
    • The fuel docket scam which saves you 4 cents a litre on petrol but which is passed on to food prices in store.
    • Selling products for the same price even though the manufacturer have sneakily kept the packaging the same size but reduced the weight.
    • Deliberately attempting to delay the introduction of 'unit pricing' which consumers have demanded and which ALDI have exploited.
    • Promoting high turnover/high profit junk food and soft drinks to lure consumers away from their local stores.
    • Their irresponsible price wars and use of loss leaders which is inevitably passed onto to the consumer.

Having said that the range of products in ALDI is a very limited and invariably I have to got back to said supermarkets to get what I need. :(

They closed and have no stores in Northern Ireland :confused:

35 stores?

buying out dunnes????????????????????????????????????????????????

ASDA are a shoe in for Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Is Lidl English or German?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Shelflife wrote: »
    i never said that there wasnt irish product in the stores , but if you look closely you will find that most of the irish products are from the north.

im not saying that they are not well run because they clearly are, what im saying is that we will pay for the cheap prices in the long run with lower employment in the actual sector and in the suppliers sector.
    twonk you make some very valid points there, in my own experience there is a n aldi, lidl , and tesco in the town and many of the smaller shops didnt take on any summer staff ./ or not as many as their trade was down, i know that they are not competeting like with like but they are a drain on the local shops.

Not taking on a few temporary summer staff is hardly the doomsday scenario for the shop staff and suppliers' staff you were claiming in the first post.
    dSTAR wrote: »
    Is Lidl English or German?

German

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Damo9090 you only have to look at the uk and see the damage done there to the smaller towns and the smaller shops by Tesco in particular, there are some towns with no petrol stations and some with no shops of consequence because they have being forced out by predatory pricing, not just grocery shops but also book shops music shops and white goods shops.
    check out the tescopoly site for details of how much damage they do to towns and suppliers.

where did this 40% irish suppliers figure come from??

the doomsday senario i preach is merely an exaggerated example of what is happening in order to highlight whats going on.

what im really saying is that they are not the savours of our economy and we need to be aware of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

How many suppliers to the retail market are Irish based. Think about it, Unilever, Proctor & Gamble, Reckitt & Coleman etc. etc. etc. I don't think we have to look to Aldi, or any other retail outlet, when it comes to foreign companies repatriating profits or sourcing product outside of ROI. We don't have the manufacturing capability to supply the market at the prices we want to pay, never did have and never will have. While I would like it to be different, I don't see much difference between supporting the German economy and supporting China, U.S., U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Strange that no-one seems to complain about the Musgrave family spending some of it's Irish-built nest-egg on foreign acquisitions. I wonder how many Irish consumers have paid for that ex-patriation of funds.

All of the retailers, surprisingly enough, are out to make money. They are all pretending that they are an integral part of the communities in which they do business. If it weren't for the competition that there is now, we'd all be paying double to these home-grown privately owned retail empires.

I say let them cut each other's throats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I borrowed this from another forum:
    Once a big retailer moves in, the pressure exerted on the small independent retailers is often too much, closing them down. This is really bad as we are replacing management positions with shelf packing positions. The money is also flowing straight out of the country.
    From a business viewpoint, I would prefer hundreds of small independent retailers than a few large foreign ones.

As a real example of what occurs in this scenario in Caherciveen Lidl opened sometime back and the local Spar closed a few weeks back. But the rub is that your average Lidl employs 15-20 but the Spar in Caherciveen laid off 35 full and part-time staff, a net jobs loss to the area. So Aldi saying they are creating 650 jobs will actually mean net job losses in many areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

rubadub wrote: »
    Is there a list of places the shops are opening?

Don't know a list of new stores but found a list from the company that does the floors for Aldi, some are stores that are already open, but I see that Mallow is on the list which doesn't have one yet, so I guess that there might be some more that are not already open.

Hope that your town is on it! We do most of our shopping in the mallow Lidl but the nearest Aldi is in Cork.

http://www.skanfloor.com/referencesireland.htm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

35 stores?

buying out dunnes????????????????????????????????????????????????

nope, physically building new stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

they [tesco] lower prices to put smaller shops out of business and then put the prices up when they have effectively a monoploy in the area and yet the irish plannes are happy to let them build away merrily.
    Well, Lidl and Aldi have a universal pricing system so all stores in all areas charge the same for each product. Tesco have variable pricing so express stores can and are more expensive. Lidl recently opened its first 'express' type store in North London and they charge the same are standard stores there and have commited to this policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

snubbleste wrote: »
    Which Lidl sells 2l of milk for €1.20?

I buy the 1ltr packs of milk (the ones that stay good for months) for about 60c per liter in Lidl. and 2x 60 cents = 1,20.

Ok, you can say that i compare fresh milk to the long lasting one. Well.. i like them both and do not prefer one above the other. Slight preference for the long lasting one as i can buy them in bulk and always have milk at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hell on earth.
    Lidl / Aldi food is tasteless, mass produced, copy-cat rubbish.
    Do they even take credit cards?

Where and how are the purchasing 40% Irish food? That again has to be rubbish! Anyhow, it doesn't change the fact that you get better quality elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Hell on earth.

Aside from the fact that that hardly constitutes hell on earth, lots of the stuff I've tried from Lidl is much nicer than the Tesco/Supervalu equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Hell on earth.
    Do they even take credit cards?

Where and how are the purchasing 40% Irish food? That again has to be rubbish! Anyhow, it doesn't change the fact that you get better quality elsewhere.

Spoken like a man who has never shopped in either of the stores.

Go buy yourself some of the cheeses in Lidl and Aldi (Camembert, Brie, Mozzarella, Parmigiana) try them on the Lidl or Aldi Water crackers, compare the equivalent prices to tescos or Dunnes and come back and tell us which you prefer and which cost more.

Cheese is just one of many examples off the top of my head, Orange Juice, Chocolate, muesli, bread, rashers, eggs, milk, chorizo, pasta, not to mention the fantastic fresh fruit they both offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have! I avoid it since!

I got sliced bread, butter, ham, cheese, own-brand coffee and tarts.

The bread, butter, ham and cheese were bland & tasteless.
    The coffee tasted like toffee and never saw a coffee bean.
    The tarts were crud.

Overall, a poor experience.
    I was in there since. I bought proper branded beer and sandpaper. That's as good as it gets. (and they didn't take credit cards!)

I have! I avoid it since!

I got sliced bread, butter, ham, cheese, own-brand coffee and tarts.

The bread, butter, ham and cheese were bland & tasteless.
    The coffee tasted like toffee and never saw a coffee bean.
    The tarts were crud.

Overall, a poor experience.
    I was in there since. I bought proper branded beer and sandpaper. That's as good as it gets. (and they didn't take credit cards!)

Well the Aldi/Lidl Deli ham has a lower water content then the Deli ham from Denny or the likes and tastes as good (if you bought the cheapest of the Cheap stuff in Aldi or Lidl you need to compare it to the cheapest of the cheat Tesco or Dunnes have to offer, not just the regular stuff)

I agree with you on the Coffee, but any instant coffee is poxy, as is all preground espresso coffee not just their stuff.

As for the Cheese, I don't know which you tried but it was none of the ones I mentioned earlier, as with the ham if you bought the cheapest processed cheese they sell compare it to the Cheapest Tesco stuff.

There is plenty of Crap in Lidl and Aldi (just as there is in every shop) but the is absolutely no doubt that there is better value to be had in the German stores (And by better value I don't mean just cheaper, I mean getting more of the same or better quality for the same price as Tesco or Dunnes)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Where and how are the purchasing 40% Irish food? That again has to be rubbish!

Care to provide any solid evidence to backup your rant that its rubbish?
    I can tell you for a fact that the items I know of are also sold to many other supermarkets in Ireland and I can say with 99.9% certainty you have most likely bought them too...or at the very least eaten them :)

Perfect example of better value
    Weetabix Mini's Cocolate cerial, 1.50e in Lidl, atleast 3.00e in Tesco, Dunnes, Supervalue etc

And no its not some limited time offer unless they happen to keep replacing stock for weeks and months on end :)

Best value of the lot though has to be the Lidl/Aldi cleaning products, dishwasher tablets, window cleaner, bleach, polish, fabric softeners, jax cleaners, bog roll, bin bags, fire logs, kitchen roll etc.

The Lidl W5 brand which is a huge brand in Germany is brilliant for a fraction of the cost of the brands we are more familiar with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i think it's wonderful news-job creation is job creation, no matter if it's big or small. Also, all the VAT on items stays in ireland,does it not?and the food is grand, you can't even tell the difference between Aldi/Lidl meats and Dunnes meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

and the food is grand, you can't even tell the difference between Aldi/Lidl meats and Dunnes meat!
    Yes, you can. I find the meat in Lidl better than that in Dunnes, actually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

and dont forget that all the profits will be sent back to germany
    Ok a bit of reality here. What happens when an Irish shop makes a profit? Where does that profit go? It goes to shareholders or sits in a bank somewhere to fund future growth.
    A company pays tax on its profits and that goes to all of us regardless. So it makes no difference whether you choose to shop in an Irish or German owned shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ok a bit of reality here. What happens when an Irish shop makes a profit? Where does that profit go? It goes to shareholders or sits in a bank somewhere to fund future growth.
    A company pays tax on its profits and that goes to all of us regardless. So it makes no difference whether you choose to shop in an Irish or German owned shop.
    Of course it makes a difference ffs. Corporate tax is only part of the taxation puzzle, and a very small one too in Ireland. Ever hear of income tax?

Back to my original post. Anyone here of an Aldi store for South Dublin/North Wicklow area yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Of course it makes a difference ffs. Corporate tax is only part of the taxation puzzle, and a very small one too in Ireland. Ever hear of income tax?

And how is the income tax situation any different here?

Assuming we have an Irish owned Aldi type store of course. But you are probably talking about protecting your overpriced and overstaffed Super Valu type operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I live in a small town in Kildare population of around 5000/6000.We have Aldi,Lidl,Tesco Express,Londis,Centra and Supervalu,and only recently our Aldi was extended and is mad busy,much busyer than Lidl.Supervalu has been badly hit but they are absoutly mad expensive,Tesco is a very untidy and never seems to have a manager around,badley stocked,expensive.Londis not bad.Centra expensive.I keep trying to shop in Aldi/Lidl but end up going back to Supervalu for bits and spending more in the long run.

Anybody got a list of locations for these new stores yet??

I know Aldi are looking to open a store in Callan Co Kilkenny....least so says the paper and the planning application,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

gblh21 wrote: »
    I heard talk of Clifden, Kells and Longford???????
    they opened one in longford few years ago

Advertisement