Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with my cactus please

Options
  • 12-11-2008 2:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a cactus I have had for somewhere close to 20 years, my mum bought it for me when i was a kid. At the time it was 6" tall and only had one stem, now it looks like this:

Cactus.jpg

Basically it has not had much attention (not that it needs much, its a cactus after all) but I'd like to get it back to full health, and I'm wondering what I should do.

Now you'll notice that the two outer stems, the newest ones to grow, are nice and white, fluffy and healthy looking. I'm wondering what I would need to do get all of it looking like this. I need to change the pot its in, so should I be changing soil etc and adding plant feed or fertilisers etc etc - I've no idea and need some help!

Also, ideally I'd like to split it in half so I have two cacti of two stems each, but I'm worried it might die. What do you think?

All advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Are the brown ones dead by any chance?
    You'll know when you take it out of the pot and have a look to see how the roots are doing.

I would have thought a cactus 20 years old would have been much bigger and with more stems.

The first thing notice is the pot is waaaaay to small.
    I bought a tiny cactus about 10 years ago and there are so many stems on it now that it's in a pot about a foot wide.

Go to the garden centre and ask if they have a particular soil for the cactus. Should be sandy, you could add some sand if you wish.
    I just feed mine once a month with baby bio and it's flying along.

Advertisement