Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Question, Fallout 3

Options
  • 12-11-2008 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I've installed Fallout 3 on my Dell Latitude D620 Laptop. It installed fine but when I go to play (with all the graphic settings turned to the lowest) I get a message box saying...

"Failed to initialize rendering.
    Hardware T&L required but not supported by adaptor. "

What does that mean? Is there anything I can download/buy or is my system just not up to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Jesper wrote: »
    I've installed Fallout 3 on my Dell Latitude D620 Laptop. It installed fine but when I go to play (with all the graphic settings turned to the lowest) I get a message box saying...

What does that mean? Is there anything I can download/buy or is my system just not up to it?

Hardware Transform and lighting is a hardware feature that needs to be supported by your graphics ard in order to play this game, your graphics card does not have this feature, so you cannot play this game.

There is nothing you can do bar replace the laptop with one that has a much better gfx card or buy a cheap gaming pc. Hardware not a software issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

uberpixie wrote: »
    Hardware Transform and lighting is a hardware feature that needs to be supported by your graphics ard in order to play this game, your graphics card does not have this feature, so you cannot play this game.

There is nothing you can do bar replace the laptop with one that has a much better gfx card or buy a cheap gaming pc. Hardware not a software issue.

Balls to that. I guess I can take it that pretty much every new PC game won't work on this laptop then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As mentioned this suggests a lack of needed hardware features, but T&L has been standard for nearly ten years. What video card do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Spear wrote: »
    As mentioned this suggests a lack of needed hardware features, but T&L has been standard for nearly ten years. What video card do you have?

From what I know, it would be a Intel 945 or a Nvidia Quadro. The intel is bottom barrel, the Nvidia is just slight better. Its not a gaming laptop, it was designed for work use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Balls to that. I guess I can take it that pretty much every new PC game won't work on this laptop then?

Pretty much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

It depends - some games insist on hardware t and l despite not using them at low settings - i did find a graphics app a year or two ago that'd emulate them being there, have a google and see what you can see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It depends - some games insist on hardware t and l despite not using them at low settings - i did find a graphics app a year or two ago that'd emulate them being there, have a google and see what you can see.

You mean 3D Analyze? I suspect it'll need to much CPU time for that to be practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

That would be the one, thanks dude :) I did get it working on an old intel 845 chip on pretty high end games at the time, depending on what the low end spec is it can work. Fallout though may definitely be beyond it :)

edit: oh, remember now why it didn't make such a hit. with the games i tried it with, they didnt actually require hardware t&l unless you had everything set to high, so at a lower level all it was doing was faking a response to the initial requests, then there was no additional work required by it.

Advertisement