Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera dress code

Options
  • 12-11-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

I have purchased some tickets for A Midsummers Nights Dream for next Tuesday's show and I was wondering if there is a dress code here in Ireland for opera as a couple of years ago we went to one in Hungary which was very formal, even young children where in tuxedos, so would rather not turn up underdressed again, it was fairly embarrassing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

I have been contemplating an opera trip and wondering the same thing; would love to see some of what I enjoy on my mp3 player live.

On a side note, when they are formal they are formal in Hungary. I was recently at a wedding there, where myself & three English people were about the only foreigners. The two ladies of the party who were dressed totally appropriately for a wedding in England or Ireland, were given out to by the grooms mother for bare shoulders, over exposed cleavage and not wearing tights !!! To a one, the Hungarian ladies in either black or brown would have been respectably dressed for a funeral in Ireland, very strange ...

goose06 wrote: »
    I have purchased some tickets for A Midsummers Nights Dream for next Tuesday's show and I was wondering if there is a dress code here in Ireland for opera as a couple of years ago we went to one in Hungary which was very formal, even young children where in tuxedos, so would rather not turn up underdressed again, it was fairly embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Yes we got a few strange looks as well but no one actually came up to us, that would have been mortifying alright

Advertisement