Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS on Network

Options
  • 12-11-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I have a 4TB NAS which doesn't support DNLA connected to a 100Mb Router by Cat5.

I have a PS3 connected to the 100Mb Router by Cat5.

I want to stream HD media from the NAS to the PS3 using Tversity Media Server running on a network PC. I must do this as the NAS doesn't support DNLA. The PC is connected to the network by Ethernet over Powerline, which works great, but doesn't deliver significant bandwidth for some of the higher bitrate parts of some HD movies.

My question. If I connect both the NAS and the PS3 to the router will the stream follow:

1) NAS ----> PC
    > PS3

or

2) NAS ----> PS3

If the answers is the former, which I presume it will be, is there any way round it, aside from buying a DNLA enabled NAS.

Inq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

It will go like this:

NAS -> PC -> PS3
    It will go up to the PC and then down to the PS3. So will require the full bandwith in both directions down the ethernet over powerline.
    You should try it and see what happens, it might work.
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Ok I have a 4TB NAS which doesn't support DNLA connected to a 100Mb Router by Cat5.

I have a PS3 connected to the 100Mb Router by Cat5.

I want to stream HD media from the NAS to the PS3 using Tversity Media Server running on a network PC. I must do this as the NAS doesn't support DNLA. The PC is connected to the network by Ethernet over Powerline, which works great, but doesn't deliver significant bandwidth for some of the higher bitrate parts of some HD movies.

My question. If I connect both the NAS and the PS3 to the router will the stream follow:

1) NAS ----> PC
    > PS3

or

2) NAS ----> PS3

If the answers is the former, which I presume it will be, is there any way round it, aside from buying a DNLA enabled NAS.

Inq

Advertisement