Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

open mic/ amateur nights / advice

• 12-11-2008 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hi im wondering could anybody help me out ..
    ive been contemplating having a go at stand up for a whilw now , and have been coming up with material for the past few months ...
    Are there any open mic /amateur nights coming up around the country where i can give it a go to see if i cut the mustard ...
    any input would be greatly appreciated , especially from any established stand ups on here ..
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

contact tony ferns from the battle of the axe (www.battleoftheaxe.com) best club goin at the mo (and has been for the past 12 or so years)! there are a few more around the place but the crowds arent as big as tony gets, pm me if you want other numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57457198&postcount=6

stand up advice by Robbie Bonham, only deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

elshambo wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57457198&postcount=6

stand up advice by Robbie Bonham, only deadly!

Seconded ... it's basically all the advice you need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 silverbullitt

cheers for the replies guys ,
    the advice was spot on ....
    ill try to put together a 6 minute set so , and see how it goes ..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And now with my whole one, easy gig under my belt, let me strew pearls before swine.... :)

Um, ok, not hugely experienced at comedy but have done a lot of public speaking and the best bit of advice I can give you about combining the two (which is what you are basically doing) is to use the nerves, use the tension you feel before going on.

Take a moment and stop and realise where you are, what you are going to do and see yourself confidently doing it. No matter how terrified you are, you should drive on like you are in complete control and the master of everything around you. I use the nerves and the energy I get beforehand, bottle it up and use it to make me look like I'm dead confident. With comedy it was great for belting out jokes and steam-rollering onwards.

I was terrified of the crowd but really they wanted us to do well and I suspect that your crowd will to so relax, you dont get executed afterwards if you havent reached a point on the clapometer.

Know your material well, I didnt have a lot of time to rehearse (3 days from "yeah I'll do it" to "so, how is everyone tonight!") and that made me have to take breaks to think and also made me less confident in myself.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

DeVore wrote: »
    And now with my whole one, easy gig under my belt, let me strew pearls before swine.... :)

Um, ok, not hugely experienced at comedy but have done a lot of public speaking and the best bit of advice I can give you about combining the two (which is what you are basically doing) is to use the nerves, use the tension you feel before going on.

Take a moment and stop and realise where you are, what you are going to do and see yourself confidently doing it. No matter how terrified you are, you should drive on like you are in complete control and the master of everything around you. I use the nerves and the energy I get beforehand, bottle it up and use it to make me look like I'm dead confident. With comedy it was great for belting out jokes and steam-rollering onwards.

I was terrified of the crowd but really they wanted us to do well and I suspect that your crowd will to so relax, you dont get executed afterwards if you havent reached a point on the clapometer.

Know your material well, I didnt have a lot of time to rehearse (3 days from "yeah I'll do it" to "so, how is everyone tonight!") and that made me have to take breaks to think and also made me less confident in myself.

DeV.

Or brandy, lots of brandy!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Make a set list. A list of words on a small piece of paper, and each word is the topic of the joke you want to do. Don't write them too small, because you want to be able to read them with just a glance.

If there's a table, as soon as you get onstage you put down your drink and the paper next to your drink. That way, when you're going for the drink, you're actually cheating.

Or, just hold the thing in your hand and read it when you need it.

Yeah, it's not real professional to be looking at a sheet of paper, but professionalism is the least of your worries on the first night. The lights will hit you and you won't remember a damn joke. (At least, that's what happened to me.)

Advertisement