Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Sales People

Options
  • 12-11-2008 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Ok we all know we are in a ''economic down turn yada..yada...yada''.

What is it with car dealers lately? I know nobody is buying i'd of thought the dealers would entrap you as soon as you walked onto the forecourt?

Went over to what i'd consider a upscale second hand dealer, looked at a high CC older saloon. I'd of thought they'd be straight over with the keys.. em no. Waked into the office two of them there sitting chatting over a curry.

Made myself known, and was handed the keys.

''Come on back in once your done and we'll have a chat'' yer man says to me.

Lazy fecker! walked back in after looking around, handed back the keys and yer man instantly offers it to me for 4K:eek: was advertised at 5K.

Dont know which it is lazyness or the love for the job is gone??

Any dealers on here, would you let a possible customer walk around and have to find YOU??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Some dealers just don't give a feck.

They would have been like this when times were good as well(except the prices would have been different by about 3 or 4k )

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It was like this all the time, you have to hunt them down to get some help. Thought you got lucky, got atleast keys and a discount like that.

A year ago they would drop 1k top, just becouse you moved them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Some dealers just don't give a feck.

They would have been like this when times were good as well(except the prices would have been different by about 3 or 4k )

True, but defo not what i expeceted from a operation like his.

All prestiege yokes on the lot. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Maybe he has gotten up one too many times from his lunch for tyrekickers!!!!:D

leon8v wrote: »

If this fella was any good he would'nt have tyre kickers, he'd have customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You can sell from two angles - value or price.

Value involves doing the work, doing a thorough test-drive, knowing the product well, showing it in its best light - making the customer realise that it really is a brilliant car and it's perfect for what they're looking for.

Price just means being cheaper than everyone else.

Some people sell on price - Aldi may not be the swankiest set-up, but you know they're generally the cheapest.
    Some people sell on value - the lifestyle effect of ownership, "it's expensive, but it'll save you money long-term", it'll make you attractive to the opposite sex, etc.

I think the problem the car industry has at the moment is that the car manufacturers have built the value in the product through marketing, reputation management etc., they've built the desire that gets you through the door of the dealer.
    Car salespeople should be selling on value too, but in recent times they didn't have to because the demand was there - they were just order takers.

Now that times are hard they're faced with the choice of selling based on the perceived value (hard work) or selling based on price (easy). They're taking the easy way out.

Unfortunately, in economic times like these, customers are very price sensitive, so even if you do put in the work and try to build value in your product in order to create desire and maintain your margin, a customer will choose another supplier for a few quid - normally using all the information you've given them as the "value" salesperson to make their decision, and the "price" dealer to supply the car.

I think what you've just described is unacceptable in any retail environment, but I can see how previously slightly-jaded salespeople are now beyond fed-up and no longer have pride in their work.
    Ultimately I blame the management for that kind of thing. If you walked into a jewellers today, you wouldn't get that kind of reception. You wouldn't get it in Starbucks either.

Retail is retail, you can't let your guard down!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

think audi chris pretty much summed it up there alright ,price is the bottom line these days

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

leon8v wrote: »

Lol, and the lads that come in around the showroom, and you go over after a few mins and they say "I'm grand, just looking".

I wouldn't go out on the lot after some one, if they come in the door after looking around, i'll be straight over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I wouldn't go out on the lot after some one, if they come in the door after looking around, i'll be straight over.

If my boss sees someone outside looking at cars he's straight on to me telling me to go out and see are they ok. I really don't like it.

The way I see it, some people are browsers and are just gathering information, some come in knowing exactly what they're looking for, some don't know what they want and need a lot of help. You have to deal with each differently.

I know if I walk into a shop, wander around aimlessly looking for things and don't make eye-contact, then I don't want to be approached - I'm just sussing things out. I hate it when salespeople pounce on me or follow me around in those situations.

AudiChris wrote: »
    If my boss sees someone outside looking at cars he's straight on to me telling me to go out and see are they ok. I really don't like it.

The way I see it, some people are browsers and are just gathering information, some come in knowing exactly what they're looking for, some don't know what they want and need a lot of help. You have to deal with each differently.

I know if I walk into a shop, wander around aimlessly looking for things and don't make eye-contact, then I don't want to be approached - I'm just sussing things out. I hate it when salespeople pounce on me or follow me around in those situations.

I'd be in agreement with your boss!
    I'd rather a sales person to come over to me, how can you assume the above unless you ask? The 1st impressions last the longest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

I agree, If i was browsing a dealership for motors, i'd rather do it and not be approached, then if i wanted info or to take for a test drive id go in and ask ectect . On saying that from op original post, i would expect a certain level of attentivness on the part of the salesperson when i went in, if i was treated with a level of no interest i'd probably not buy there irrespective of whether the deal is good or not. Manners cost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

victor1 wrote: »
    I agree, If i was browsing a dealership for motors, i'd rather do it and not be approached, then if i wanted info or to take for a test drive id go in and ask ectect .

Which, from my experience, is the attitude of 99% of customers. So i wait for them to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

+ 1 guys. Was browsing for a car the last day and much rathered looking around myself that being bothered at times by salesmen. It would make a person feel under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

One of our local garages has a sign that basically says fell free to look around; it you want assistance, don't be afraid to ask.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Which, from my experience, is the attitude of 99% of customers. So i wait for them to come in.

agreed, most people would like 5 or 10 mins on their own to properly check out a car before the want to move to the next step..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Had a similar experience to the OP this week. I though garages would be gald to get work like this as servicing will tie some of them over until the market picks up again. Car needs a timing belt change (VW Passat) as well as the associated items i.e. water pump tensioners etc. Priced around Main dealer 550 all in which is quiet reasonable for the work, said id chance ireland largest independant dealer of VW, Audi, BMW in the South the sales man said " Main dealer work but not at main dealer prices" I asked for price which I didnt get when I visited the garage, they rang me back back 20 mins later they quoted 600euro and dropped to 580euro after I mentioned what the main dealer was charging. Do they really think people would pay over the odds BTW I later found out they out source the work to a nearby garage even though salesmans story was quiet different. Anyways credit where credit is due found the main dealer was totally professional got what i needed, car booked in, and the service parts i required, 20mins all done and I will be paying cash for the work done.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Volvoboy wrote: »

What is it with car dealers lately? I know nobody is buying i'd of thought the dealers would entrap you as soon as you walked onto the forecourt?

Went over to what i'd consider a upscale second hand dealer, looked at a high CC older saloon. I'd of thought they'd be straight over with the keys.. em no. Waked into the office two of them there sitting chatting over a curry.

Lazy fecker! walked back in after looking around, handed back the keys and yer man instantly offers it to me for 4K:eek: was advertised at 5K.

Any dealers on here, would you let a possible customer walk around and have to find YOU??

VB some garages maybe under alot of pressure to shift stock but that doesn't mean they are going to give that impression to a potential customer. That would tip their hand in any negotiations.

But generally I would agree that some garages just let the customer wonder around for a while browsing, I like this approach as it allows me to concentrate on the car rather than listening to a sales person rabbitting on or trying to get you into his office. If and when I'm happy to go for a test drive or talk money I'll approach them.

The fact that he just knocked 25% off the sticker price without even you sitting down with him would give me the indication that he was taking you serious enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't mind a salesman to politely tell me that if I need anything to just ask but I dislike it when they want to talk to me when I'm just browsing. I find that its like a waiter standing beside the table waiting for you to finish your dinner so they can take the plates.

bazz26 wrote: »
    VB some garages maybe under alot of pressure to shift stock but that doesn't mean they are going to give that impression to a potential customer. That would tip their hand in any negotiations.

But generally I would agree that some garages just let the customer wonder around for a while browsing, I like this approach as it allows me to concentrate on the car rather than listening to a sales person rabbitting on or trying to get you into his office. If and when I'm happy to go for a test drive or talk money I'll approach them.

The fact that he just knocked 25% off the sticker price without even you sitting down with him would give me the indication that he was taking you serious enough.

It just smacked me as pure lazyness on his part that i walked into the office and me saying ''I'm interested in X car'' he didnt even tell me anything about it or what kinda service history was with it unless promped??

And this place looked established, nice forecout cars neatly displayed.

What do they call it? ''All show, no go?''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

Not all but a lot of them have become so used to just taking orders they have forgotten how to sell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

handbraker wrote: »
    Not all but a lot of them have become so used to just taking orders they have forgotten how to sell!

Spoke to a relation of mine on Saturday who is the head of sales for a main-dealer and he has no new car sales for January, as of last Friday night. I asked him was he messing, he clarified he hasn't got a single booking.
    Said he'd normally have about 25-30 cars for Jan 1 delivery, and that some of his regulars may just be waiting to turn up in the garage in January, as the car-park is full of new cars, and just drive one away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

handbraker wrote: »

How far back are you going? I don't remember Irish dealers ever being that good at customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Volvoboy wrote: »

Why not find the boss, send him a letter explaining the above.
    I'd be suprised if you don't get a hefty discount, and the salemen in question a good kick up the arse of a p45.
    If people don't complain, expect the same.

Most self employed people are delighted to reveive feedback.

At the end of the day, we're not going to be able to do much for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Insurance company organised that my Wife's car was carried to garage last weekend after an accident. The car is not repairable. The dealer was asked by insurance company to organise a replacement car. He moaned and complained to her, gave her the worst car in the place and walked away.
    Now I'm no salesman but if I saw a lady arrive into a sales yard with a written off car I'd at least make an attempt to smile, ask if there's a particular car she'd like to test drive and try to make a sale.
    Have some dealers accepted defeat and given up trying to sell cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Training in retail clothing is that you approach the customer and tell them that if they want any sizes or assistance to give you a shout. I haven't worked in that environment in over 18 months, but most people (unless they were looking at suits) can decide whether they want your help or not. People generally only want to be approached if they need accessories (i.e shoes, a tie and shirt to go with a suit)
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Or that he knows the doors will be closing in a few weeks/months time regardless of the margin he makes on a 3k car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bustershark

It's not rocket science, but most of them don't seem to have figured it out yet.
    You see someone browsing, you approach with a smile and a friendly face, greet them, introduce yourself by name and say "I'll be over there if you have any questions or queries" and then leave them to it.

Advertisement