Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on a Honda.

Options
  • 12-11-2008 3:47pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys, this is a bit of a boring thread but anyway...
    My little 106 needs a new head gasket and I don't think its really worth it.
    Its been giving trouble for awhile now (clutch, thermostat) and this is the final straw. We've been considering upgrading for awhile now and would like to get something more reliable. I've been primarily looking at Japanese hatch backs.

Was looking at this today and the Salesman offered it for €6k straight.
    Can anyone offer any advice on this car? Is it a good deal?
    Insurance isn't much extra on the 1.1 106 and the reliability index looks good.
    I know this is a buyers market but what would be a good offer to make?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I drive a 00 Civic 1.5 saloon. Have it 12 months now and have zero trouble. It is quite nippy too. I'm not agreat haggler so if he is giving me 450 off that would do me. Car looks good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€6k for a nearly 7 year old small basic hatch? That's a lot of money in my book.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Thanks, a friend was trying to convince me that a Golf would be a better investment. Somehow I can't see a VW being more relaible or retaining resale value compared to the Honda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

5uspect wrote: »
    Thanks, a friend was trying to convince me that a Golf would be a better investment. Somehow I can't see a VW being more relaible or retaining resale value compared to the Honda.

There is apsolutly no chance that Golf would be a better investment then that Honda.
    It may be a better investment in the terms when you come to sell it, you may get a bit more money for it, but for the time you own that car it ll probably give you more trouble and you would have to spend money fixing it.
    So if it was me who was buying a car i would choose that Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

If you want reliability you cant go wrong, got a 97 Civic and still goin strong at nearly 200K miles! Lookin for an excuse to change but the feckin car just wont die!!

Second the price mentioned above. In this market you should be able to knock more off it than 450.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

try him at 5600 cash and work from there

Yeah he's a devout Golf Driver, can't expect anything else really! ;)

I was thinking of offering about €5k (there's a 5 dr model down in Cork for €4900 for example) and haggling to somewhere in between. Would this be too cheeky?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I was thinking of offering about €5k (there's a 5 dr model down in Cork for €4900 for example) and haggling to somewhere in between. Would this be too cheeky?

There is no such thing as cheeky.

My 00 Honda Accord Coupe 2l cost me €7000 in March. So i reckon the 5k offer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I bought a 5 door 2003 civic from that garage last feb. Decent kind of guy- I'd definately haggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Honda's are pretty legendary for being fairly bullet proof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

not been cheeky at all bud. Worse he gonna do is say no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

NO way, offer him 4,800 / 5k take it or leave it, bet he will defo take the deal!Definitely would pay no more than that for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Timing belt will be due @ 70k - if it hasn't been done yet, try and work that into the bargaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

My wife has the same model. Nippy little car and the gearstick is exactly where it should be on all cars!

A little short on extra's and the ride a little firm but absolutely bulletproof.

Far better investment than a Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wouldn't buy an old base Golf either. Another seriously overpriced small hatch. Why not look for a better value for money alternative, i.e. a Focus?

Think I'll start a €5k. Bullet proof relaibility is pretty much what I'm after. I'm not too concerned about bells and whistles. I'm a little worried that I should move up further in the years, 04 perhaps. I'd spend up to €8k on something that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

€5000 tops and you cant go wrong with a honda,bulletproof!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My old man had a 03 Civic like that up to last year, he sold it privately and got €8k for it. There is no way a 02 is worth €6k especially in the current second hand market. I have been in that garage a few times looking and I found them pricey to be honest. Definately shop around for a better price.

Regarding the car itself, to be honest they don't come more reliable than the Civic, my old man never had a bother with his in the 4 years he owned it.

BTW your friend has had too much sherry if he thinks a Golf is a better investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Your friend is wrong, the Honda is a better car in every way. That's a little dear, but it's from a dealer and should come with a warranty if that matters to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Biro wrote: »
    Your friend is wrong, the Honda is a better car in every way. That's a little dear, but it's from a dealer and should come with a warranty if that matters to you.

Warranty! What, 3 Months on Engine & Gearbox??

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy an old base Golf either. Another seriously overpriced small hatch. Why not look for a better value for money alternative, i.e. a Focus?

I have an irrational fear ot Fords, never liked them. Sad I know.

Okay, we took it for a test drive this morning. Nice car, but the carzone ad is wrong its 90k miles not km. Definately not worth the asking price. Offered him €4.5k, cash, straight but he wasn't budging on it. Left him my details anyway.

Warranty! What, 3 Months on Engine & Gearbox??

Often Honda dealers will offer 6 months or a year on engine and gearbox, cause they know it won't be back. Some people like this as peace of mind. Just saying is all!
    OP, offer €5k and if you get it at that you're winning. They're a great car, leagues ahead of the Mk4 Golf. Not quite as good as the Focus in the handling department, the steering in the Focus would give better feedback too, but in every other respect they'd be better than the over-rated Focus which, like the VW, has a shambles of a 1.4 "engine".

Okay, we took it for a test drive this morning. Nice car, but the carzone ad is wrong its 90k miles not km. Definately not worth the asking price. Offered him €4.5k, cash, straight but he wasn't budging on it. Left him my details anyway.

Ya, you're right if it's 90k miles. There's plenty more of them out there.

I've spotted a 5 dr down home in Wexford. I'll send teh parents in to investigate...

Just an update and some closure to this thread.

We bought the one in Wexford, 02 5 dr Civic for 5500.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just an update and some closure to this thread.

We bought the one in Wexford, 02 5 dr Civic for 5500.
    Yo. Same boat as you. Just put a deposit down for a 02 5 door Civic today. Went in looking for a Corolla (it was sold yesterday), came out with a Honda :D

Congrats!
    It haas 65k on it and they did the timing belt so I can't complaim too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I can't get the link to work, but just to give you an idea....

I went looking this morning for a 02/03 Corolla Saloon for my dad in the local Toyota dealerships.

Found a 02 with 74k miles advertised at 7k. Avg price in the main dealers was about 8k for one of that spec. Offered 5.5k and got it for 5,650 with 12month bumper to bumper warranty.
    I would say go as low as you can and be prepared to walk away as there is a good selection out there.

I know he could have got one private for a 1k cheaper, but this has full toyota service history and 12months warranty and was mint

• Advertisement
Advertisement