Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megaupload Ban???

Options
  • 12-11-2008 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey does anyone know if megaupload has been banned. I just renewed my membership and tried downloading a video and then suddenly bam! it tells me "access denied" and to contact the cache administrator at helpdesk@ucd.ie.

Its pretty sickenin if its just been banned considerin I just renewed :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Write them a strongly worded letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Very doubtful, IT Services have a policy of not censoring sites as witnessed by the Bebo episode... Maybe the site was trying to use a blocked port to download your file? I'm sure someone more technical can give you a definitve answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Can you not get there at all, even if you restart the browser (to clear the session)? Then I guess that you'd need to contact the helpdesk as suggested, and explain why you need to use UCD resources to download video from a site called "megaupload". I'd be curious to know how that goes. Just how big was this file, anyway?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Http access to megaupload.com is fine, but ftp returns (111) Connection refused. That's from the proxy, so it's probably the cause.

Does megaupload serve files through ftp exclusively?

No offence to you but I hope they finally have banned the bandwidth hogging sites!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The bandwidth is rarely ever over 40% being used so thats why they don't care - Rapidshare is cool as its HTTP, maybe its due to being FTP but I always thought Megaupload was HTTP also?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

You wouldn't have a source for the 40%, would you?

Certainly, bandwidth and lag have become noticeable on wavelan recently. It's not uncommon to be able to see the person slowing you down farting around on rapidshare.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You can find the bandwidth utilisation - i can't remember the name of the main router but it's there if you go looking.

WaveLAN problems are usually due to cell congestion as opposed to bandwidth maxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jimmy-jazz

oss wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if megaupload has been banned. I just renewed my membership and tried downloading a video and then suddenly bam! it tells me "access denied" and to contact the cache administrator at helpdesk@ucd.ie.

Its pretty sickenin if its just been banned considerin I just renewed :mad:

are you living on-campus? i think the firewall on the wireless network blocks filesharing sites. not sure though, just throwin that out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

It's probably a restricted site or something

I couldn't download off limewire or download torrents and stuff like that on the ucd network when i lived on campus last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Donny5 wrote: »
    You wouldn't have a source for the 40%, would you?

Certainly, bandwidth and lag have become noticeable on wavelan recently. It's not uncommon to be able to see the person slowing you down farting around on rapidshare.

Yes I do have a source, check your relevant building here:

http://camarra/mrtg/ucd/maps/

Quinn School Example:

http://camarra/mrtg/pri/bf/qusb-pod/eqmt/qusb-q002-pod1/qusb-q002-pod1-gi1.0.12.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

FTP access is definitely not blocked because I regularly get large-ish files from sourceforge on the wavelan network (much love for the 1MB+ dl speeds :p), although this is from the CSI building so perhaps it's blocked in the residential areas?

Only advice I can think of offering is the rather obvious checking your proxy settings - I occasionally get Access denied when I move from WaveLAN to my home network, although restarting firefox clears this..

Advertisement