Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW radio code problem

Options
  • 12-11-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hi all,
    My battery went flat recently and when I juiced it up again, the ignition wouldn't tick over. A 'CODE' message appeared on the OBC screen. Seeing as my E38 is a uk import I hadn't a notion of the code.
    I tried the classic 5 zeros and it worked, the next option after putting in the code was to 'change' or 'deactivate'. I hurringly pressed deactivate instead of change by accident.
    The good news was that the car started up alright but the bad news is that the radio has been deactivated since! :confused:
    And the on-screen OBC options under the 'menu' button have the usual options but the 'code' option is greyed out.
    Any ideas how to reactive it?
    Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I thought deactivate meant that you would remove the code request completely from the system and so the radio would work fine? No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 E38-beemer

thats what I thought!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Hee hee, you're mixing up the OBC immobilization feature with the radio code. There IS NO radio code for E38s, the radio set-up for the e38/e39/e46 was the first to use the dual component/model specific MID/Radio/NAV screen set-up, if you have the Nav screen, your radio is in the boot.

Because none of the parts are interchangable amongst cars, there is no need to have an anti-theft code.

The code you're refering to is to stop people starting the car without knowing the code, kind of like the E38 in The Transporter. When you turn your ignition off, the code option will become available. Enter any code you like and activate it by turning the key to 0. If you try and start the car now, you will have to enter the code before it will let you. Turning the key does nothing until the proper code is entered, a cool little feature.

:)

hi there,
    thanks for the reply.
    however I think the reason why I thought it was the code for the radio, is because ever since I inputted the code and started the engine, the radio function has not worked. The engine is fine ever since... So thats why I thought it is the radio.... Dunno if this helps your analysis but I have the 16:9 screen unit and MK4 dvd sat-nav kit.. I wonder becasue my software is now quite up to date has that put some security code for the radio?
    My sat nav hasnt worked since upgrading from MK2 to MK4 and even got AC Cars (on SCR, Dublin) to put on the latest BMW software and still the screen is using the old 4:3 format and the sat nav doesn't work. It thinks I'm in one location only...
    Anyway thats getting off the point a bit i guess.
    Just so frustrating not having any recreational stuff working on my car after spending a fair bit on getting the new screen/mk4-dvd unit.
    AC have done alot of research online etc and they are bmw experts, and still no luck in getting this sorted. Must be just something small causing all this.
    Half-thinking of just getting my old 4:3 screen and MK2 sat nav put back into it, at least that all worked!
    Dave

Did you reattach the GPS antenna after the MK4 installation? There are a few tricks to getting the 4:3 to switch to 16:9, i'm trying to find them for you...

• Advertisement

AC cars did the installation. I didnt touch any antenna. but i did look up some docs on the web on beemerboards and it gave me instructions how to get into the navigation servicing menu options on the monitor screen. I was able to see that it was picking up a few satellites etc, so that led me to believe it was attached and ok in terms of hardware.. Sure see what you can dig up.
    Thanks

You could always try upgrading the nav software yourself, details here:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/29257

Still looking...

i think AC cars put in the very latest software last week for me. Coz on the top right hand corner under the 'SET' screen it shows 4-1/00 which I think is Version 30 software..

Sorry man, can't for the life of me find that page, i remember what it looked like and all, just can't remember where it was!

Your best off asking on these E38 boards: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=274

The lads on there are legends, i've learned so much about my E38 from them, they know EVERYTHING between them.
    Hope to see you on there.

Advertisement