Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Vertical and Horizontal Css Navigation

• 12-11-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I am updated my web site, currently I have a horizontal navigation bar on my home page which is css based, linking to different pages on my website. I want to also have a vertical navigation bar on the home page listing the products I do for quick links to a product page with a little description on these, I have tried inserting my other css to create the vertical nav bar but each time i do my main navigation bar changes too the style of the vertical nav bar. The horizontal nav bar is used throughout my website the vertical nav bar I only want on my home page. Anyone know what the problem my be and how to solve this. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'd say both pieces of CSS are either styling generic elements without much specificity (ul, li, etc.), or there's a naming conflict with your classes or ids.
    You need to have a look at the html for the menus and see where they're similar.
    What I'd do is assign a class or id to the div containing your vertical nav, then modify the CSS for that menu to include the class or id name.

For example if you had...
    ul {
    /*CSS HERE*/
    }

[...]

<div>
    <ul>
    <li>Item 1</li>
    <li>Item 2</li>
    <li>Item 3</li>
    </ul>
    </div>

You could make the CSS unique to that div by doing...
    [b]#mymenu[/b] ul {
    /*CSS HERE*/
    }

[..]

<div[b] id="mymenu"[/b]>
    <ul>
    <li>Item 1</li>
    <li>Item 2</li>
    <li>Item 3</li>
    </ul>
    </div>

The rule #mymenu ul will be able to work on that menu without effecting all ul's.

[moved to Web Development & Design]

Advertisement