Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe InDesign Help?

Options
  • 12-11-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hey All,

I have been given an .indd file, I need to update a table on it and export it to PDF again, sounds simple right?

The problem is I know _very_ little about Adobe InDesign, after making the change, I goto File -> Export... -> PDF and save. It creates a PDF file. The problem is that some of the images appear all white.

The images that are white boxes now are suppose to be transparent (i.e. they contain white writing and the background of the page is a dark ribbon, so need to be still able to see the Ribbon).

Any suggestions? I have tried messing with the the Effects -> Transparency, but it just makes the entire white box lighter/darker.

Stumped! Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Not all PDF versions support transparency.

After you select File, Export and choose PDF you should see a dialog in which you have to define the type of PDF you want to create. Different presets are available, plus a whole load of custom options. Basically, to support the transparency in your layout you need to select Acrobat 5 (Version 1.4) or above in the Compatibility drop down list.

However, this may introduce other unforseen issues into your PDF. The only way to be certain of the outcome is to use a decent preflight tool. Your safest bet is to avoid using transparency at all. You can work around it in the problem images by setting the text over the ribbons in in photoshop and flattening them before importing to Indesign. This should cure your problem.

Advertisement