Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car choice advice

Options
  • 12-11-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to buy myself a new car. Car history involves a 98 polo(I had it for 12months) which I sold about a year ago when I moved abroad. I've just come back and starting a new job.
    I've got about 8-10k to spend and was out about looking in dealerships today. I'm quite interested in getting a diesel for better fuel consumption.
    I looked at a 2003 VW Passat with 77k miles 1.9TDi for 9,000 euro
    also have looked at a 2003 Peugeot 307 90k miles 1.4HDi for 7,800

I'm almost leaning towards the peugeot at this stage, much more economical, road tax half the price and I can get insurance on it for 1080 fully comprehensive. What are the downsides to it? Any opinions on it over the Passat?

What should I be looking out for in the Peugeot? Does the timing belt need replacing? Should I get the garage to do that before I take the car and would I be in the position to get them to pay for it?

Any advice appreciated or even if you recommend anything else I should be looking at!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

not sure if you looked but there are passats on carzone same spec with less mileage for less money

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

Yeah, I see that but not much difference in the diesels though. quite keen to go to garage at the minute with it being my first proper car so I'd have some bit of a warranty. Am I being stupid?
    For me the Peugeot seems like a no brainer at the minute. But I've no experience of them in terms of reliability. How many miles would I get out of that engine in the long run?

Advertisement