Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Backlash against the Pious/Smug (aka Toyota Prius) in California

Options
  • 12-11-2008 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

In the Irish Times today.

I like the Californian's style!

Excellent article on how as much as 80% of pollution cars produce is caused in the actual manufacturing of them.

I wish we saw more common sense like this from the EU and that they would stop interfering and make us pay through the nose for new cars just so they can comply with this 120 g/km by 2012 nonsense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,984 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oddly enough, the "you're penalising me in motor tax for keeping a car which has already been built" argument didn't wash with Gormley when I had a lenghtly email back/forth session with him earlier this year.

So I went and bought a new 154g/km boyracermobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes and I read somewhere how the prius manufacturing process takes up much more energy than any other car due to the huge R&D build into the process. Now this would be fine if this research was going towards all cars in the future but I think this technology might run out of steam. I mean a good diesel is as fuel efficient at this stage and with fuel cells most likely being the future, the prius could be seen as the most polluting car of all time based on man hours and energy useage per car produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Southpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Apparantly these things only get a low CO2 figure because they are tested with a full battery and the energy used to charge the battery is not taken into account during the emission test trhat derives the co2 figure. I know one guy who couldnt wait to trade his in as it was terrible
    on fuel for a 1.5 or what ever size the engine is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I was walking through a shopping centre car park one day and one was stuck behind me for ages and i didnt hear it. i was walking in the middle of the road to get to my car and he couldnt get past :rolleyes:
    there so quiet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Darsad wrote: »
    Apparantly these things only get a low CO2 figure because they are tested with a full battery and the energy used to charge the battery is not taken into account during the emission test trhat derives the co2 figure. I know one guy who couldnt wait to trade his in as it was terrible

That's because they do 45 mpg, a figure a similar size car with a similar size conventional petrol engine can do without too much hard work, never mind a diesel.

Sure a 520d was found to be more economical than the PiousPrius, and that does 55 mpg on average compared to the Pious's 66 mpg average according to the EU.

Waits for JHMEG to tell us how "wrong" we all are:D......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Darsad wrote: »

never knew that - not that it surprises me.

fwiw, someone offered to trade their 00 one against my '93 968 a few weeks ago(nice guy, btw...). I asked what he was putting with it, to make up the other half of my price........ :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Wasn't it the Jeep Wrangler that was the most efficent in terms from manufacturing and longevity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Gormley should introduce a €500 road tax for luxury barges which are over 7 years old or so to keep them on the road, makes perfect sense as the original purchase of them is now being discouraged due to taxation it's better to keep the fleet on the road then to scrap them because of over €1500 a year road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Wasn't it the Jeep Wrangler that was the most efficent in terms from manufacturing and longevity?

Believe so. Cradle to grave, the most environmentally friendly car you could buy in the UK, as of some survey which is about a year old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Surely the Land Rover Series/Defender would also rank fairly high, as what is it, over half of all Landie's built since the 1940's are still in use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Southpark.

Love it! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ok, I'm no tree hugger or eco worrior or whatever, But any proper reserch that I saw suggested that the manufacturing energy accounts for only about 10% of the total energy used over the life of a car. I dunno where that journalist got their information from, probably straight out of where the sun dont shine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,984 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ok, I'm no tree hugger or eco worrior or whatever, But any proper reserch that I saw suggested that the manufacturing energy accounts for only about 10% of the total energy used over the life of a car. I dunno where that journalist got their information from, probably straight out of where the sun dont shine :D

That would be the energy used solely in the factory. That does not count the environmental cost of mining the metals and drilling for the oil for platics in a car, nor the transportation - we don't build cars in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

AudiChris wrote: »

I'm adding it to my sig:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

E92 wrote: »
    I'm adding it to my sig:D!

:D:D:p

I live on that site!

Advertisement