Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl to Ballincollig

Options
  • 12-11-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Anyone else hear that Lidl would be opening next to the 4Home outlet in Ballincollig?

Also heard that Donatellos were due to open out there! Nothing yet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Yes I've heard the Lidl story. However the same site has received planning for a hotel,offices and retail units in the past ten years but nothing has ever happened with it. Its only ever been used by the occasional touring circus. Its right next to Innishmore Estate (Legoland) which probably puts off the investors!
    Having said that Lidl would probably do well there and decimate the Supervalu across the road.

I hadn't heard the Donatellos rumour though but isn't there enough chippers in the town already?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Dragging up an old thread here but just to announce that LIDL do appear to be putting the final touches to a huge store in the location suggested above, I wouldn't be surprised to see it open by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Interesting to see how they'll do as there are already 2 Aldi stores nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

overmantle wrote: »
    Interesting to see how they'll do as there are already 2 Aldi stores nearby.

LIDL has one advantage over the ALDIs straight away.... it is away from the main street traffic and has plenty of parking space.

I notice the newer ALDI has changed their entrance from that ridiculous situation there was before! It used nearly put me off going there!

Still no Donnatellos either! Pity. There are plenty of chippers and take-aways, but none are great and also there is no McD or Burger King type. No proper Indian restaurant either oddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Great to get a lidl on the west side of the city. I hope it doesnt close the Super Valu as i like the good range of food and drink compared to the Centra in Tower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

It's surprising there are so many supermarkets in the town. There is a dunnes stores, two super valus 2 aldis and now a lidl not to mention all the garage shops. The shopping centre is already showing the signs of recession with two units empty (one Sasha shop and another clothing boutique having closed in recent weeks)

One of the supermarkets will be squeezed out. My guess is one of the supervalus which are generally more expensive than the others. The Quishs SuperValu has invested a lot of money in the shop in the last few years.

Time will tell I suppose.

Advertisement