Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3's Problems

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

If my3 isn't working whip out your battery and try again...it should allways work regardless of whether your on vodafone or 3...

you must really be in the back arse of nowhere, every shop around be sells 3 credit.....it's the tesco one you can't get credit for anywhere....

hey i didn't write those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

towel401 wrote: »

must be congestion on the network.....sorry man:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

towel401 wrote: »

Drunkmonkey leave towel alone lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I have a 3 phone I use for scanning for networks, and I haven't been able to unlock it yet...because their phones seem like a real annoyance to unlock.
    Anyway, I decided to look at Planet 3 today, just to look at it and even though I had 5 bars of 3G signal, it said "you are now outside the video service area".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Adro947 wrote: »
    I have a 3 phone I use for scanning for networks, and I haven't been able to unlock it yet...because their phones seem like a real annoyance to unlock.
    Anyway, I decided to look at Planet 3 today, just to look at it and even though I had 5 bars of 3G signal, it said "you are now outside the video service area".

5 bars of a vodafone 3g signal.

• Advertisement

5 bars of a vodafone 3g signal.

3 phones can't access Vodafone's 3G network.

Adro947 wrote: »

Switch off the phone then back on to reboot it. It will work then.

Walkman wrote: »
    Switch off the phone then back on to reboot it. It will work then.

Nope! Not at all. Doesn't bother me anyway, as I say I don't use 3, just putting it up here as a potential problem people might have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

long_b wrote: »
    The staff in the 3 shops seem to want to kick everything up to CC. It's frustrating.

Only person to knock the 3Store staff. Anyone else have any comments on 3Stores? How do you find they compare to other networks?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I had a problem with my phone, the internet wasn't connecting. The guy tried as best as he could but couldn't fix it and said it would have to be sent off for repair. I told him I wouldn't bother and went home. In the end I fixed it, turns out my internet settings were incorrect and a quick google sorted it. So he didn't solve my problem but he did try and I'd say the other networks shops would have came to the same conclusion as he did but probably would have given up after turning it on and off again.

He seemed quite technical as well, more so then the staff I've interacted with in the o2 stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

Their marketing is complete rubbish.....
    Swing both ways, what kind of a limp wristed, pink shirt wearing bafoon came up with that.....as for all you can eat talk and text what kind of bubble are these folks living in......if I took over 3 i'd fire the marketing department, they really are making a complete arse of the whole thing....

agree that their advertising concepts and offerings may not be up to scratch but i think they have improved over the last year (slightly mind you).

I never understood when they first came to ireland they didn't make us of the whol 083 prefix. To me it would seem very obvious that encouraging more people to take an 083 number when they switch over would produce a massive ripple effect in people becoming more aware of the brand due to people swapping numbers, at no cost. I think most people would agree that they feel they know no one on 3 mostly because every number in their phonebook is 087/6/5.

Sure their may be those who wanted to keep their number, but why not give them a massive offer to take an 083 number, like free calls and texts for first 6 months... I know I would have. no, instead 3 will give you an extra fiver for bringing your number over. Seemed like an opportunity wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

nuttlys wrote: »
    long_b wrote: »
    The staff in the 3 shops seem to want to kick everything up to CC. It's frustrating.

Only person to knock the 3Store staff. Anyone else have any comments on 3Stores? How do you find they compare to other networks?

I've only dealt with 3 'agents'/franchises in Castlebar and Ballina. All I can say about Castlebar's 3-store: thank g*d it's gone... Ballina: hello? Anyone there? The guy doesn't like to get off his stool, so whatever box he happens to be closest to is the phone he recommends. Ask him sth specific about a phone's specs or 3's t&c's and he displays amazing levels of anti-interest. phones are on display that haven't been for sale by 3 for months and months, ...oh, well... All very Mayo-circa-1985 ;)
    But not so much 3's fault, I guess? Haven't been to a real 3 store...

I'm 2 days into my allowance, i've used 49 flexi units and 68 free 3 to 3 calls.....last year that might have been 90 flex units and 10 free 3 to 3...
    Anyone else noticing there using more free 3 to 3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Anemone

I've been with 3 pay monthly for about 18 months. My experiences have been a mixed bag. First the good stuff:

- For the amount of calls I make, 3 are cheaper than any other network (the last time I checked, which was about 3 months ago).

- When I'm in a 3G area, and I'm calling a land line or somebody else who's in a 3G area, the call quality seems better than GSM.

- It's nice to have faster data speeds (than 2G) when I need to use the net via the phone.

- If the phone is in 3G mode, it doesn't seem to cause that annoying GSM interference noise if you leave it down near a speaker.

- If I'm out in the sticks (which is often) I've a better chance of getting coverage because I can use either 3 or Vodafone's network.

And the bad stuff:

- I live in Dungarvan, and there has been several outages on the 3 network in this area in the last year. Each outage goes on for a day or two, and when it happens the phone usually associates with the 3G base-station (so it looks like everything is OK) but I can't make or receive calls or texts. Sometimes when these outages happen, the phone battery gets eaten up real quickly.

- Where I live there is good 3G and good Vodafone signal. Here in the house the phone regularly flips over and back between the two (often while it is sitting on the desk, unmoved). Sometimes this causes calls to drop. It also interrupts any data connection I might be using. This is damn annoying, and I've noticed it happening in other places too. If the phone is in an area with good 3G signal, I wish it would show a bit of loyalty and stay on the home network. (BTW it's an E71, and my previous E65 did the same thing).

- When I browse the web on the phone, I have to go through a stupid "are you sure you want to browse the evil Internet" web page from 3 before I can see the site who's URL I typed in. This happens every time I start the browser, even if I was using it 5 minutes ago.

- The 3G signal strength bar seems to go up and down like a yo-yo sometimes, when I am not moving around. I could have 4 bars one minute and 1 bar the next, all the while the phone is just sitting on my desk.

- The 3G data speeds vary a LOT and seem to be very bursty (pages and data load in spurts with several pauses along the way). Quite often it's terribly slow, and at other (rare) times it's nice and fast. However it's rarely as slow as 2G data.

- The availability of data when I'm using the Vodafone network is patchy. It works in some places, and not in others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Anemone wrote: »
    - When I browse the web on the phone, I have to go through a stupid "are you sure you want to browse the evil Internet" web page from 3 before I can see the site who's URL I typed in. This happens every time I start the browser, even if I was using it 5 minutes ago.

that's a problem that started last september and they only seem to be fixing it or people who complain about it. call them and let them know about the problem. clear your schedule because it took me about 10 calls to get them to comprehend what the problem was and a total of 3 months for them to fix it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

"The staff in the 3 shops seem to want to kick everything up to CC. It's frustrating."

I have a good mate of mine that works for 3. He has been completely brainwashed. He actually tries to sell my and all our mates phones with 3. We all just look at him think "what a tool". They're the most expensive company and support services are a joke. Contracts are too complicated compared to others. Meteor is nice and simple. and by far the cheapest. unlocked iphone.... pure class.

If my3 isn't working whip out your battery and try again...it should allways work regardless of whether your on vodafone or 3...

you must really be in the back arse of nowhere, every shop around be sells 3 credit.....it's the tesco one you can't get credit for anywhere....
    Na I used to be 3 and it was a nightmare finding shops that sell it. And I live in Limerick city. can't even do it on the internet banking. it's a joke. it should be easy to top up everywhere!!!!!

TheLoc wrote: »
    Na I used to be 3 and it was a nightmare finding shops that sell it. And I live in Limerick city. can't even do it on the internet banking. it's a joke. it should be easy to top up everywhere!!!!!
    Mate you can buy credit for 3 in any store that sells credit including the supermarkets and petrol stations. You must not have tried looking very hard. By the way if you live in limerick city you could always get it in the 3 store.

Mate you can buy credit for 3 in any store that sells credit including the supermarkets and petrol stations. You must not have tried looking very hard. By the way if you live in limerick city you could always get it in the 3 store.
    I was living just outside the city. beside a superquinn (with about 5 shops in there too), 2 other shops, and 2 garages that were a bit further away. so every time I had to top up, I had to walk about half an hour to the garage...MATE....

It was 2 years ago so I thought it would have changed but I noticed a previous poster with the same problem so maybe not.

It was 2 years ago so I thought it would have changed but I noticed a previous poster with the same problem so maybe not.

on most top up machines in stores there a 4 buttons, 02, Vodafone, Meteor and 3...it's no bother get credit any more....

don't be at walkman she's a lovley fella:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i never had any trouble getting credit. the filling station and the only shop in the village both sell it

I was living just outside the city. beside a superquinn (with about 5 shops in there too), 2 other shops, and 2 garages that were a bit further away. so every time I had to top up, I had to walk about half an hour to the garage...MATE....

I used to go to college in UL and you could pet credit in Chalkes Garage, the newsagents in the superquinn centre, vivo and Supervalue (all in the castletroy area). Like I said you mustnt have tried very hard........MATE.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Not true at all. I live in a small town about 20 minutes drive from Limerick and not one of the four shops in the town sell call credit for 3. My neighbor is on 3, it drives him crazy, has to get a bus into Limerick if he wants credit coz he can't drive yet. Only reason he hasn't left is because he's a data addict

jordainius wrote: »
    Not true at all. I live in a small town about 20 minutes drive from Limerick and not one of the four shops in the town sell call credit for 3. My neighbor is on 3, it drives him crazy, has to get a bus into Limerick if he wants credit coz he can't drive yet. Only reason he hasn't left is because he's a data addict

If they sell 02, Meteor and Vodafone they should have 3, it dosen't make sense that they don't, maybe you should ask the retailers to sort it out...one phone call should do it.....they probably already have it but don't know where the button is...

correct drunkmonkey, all alphyra machines (the machines which give you a printed voucher) were updated to sell 3 credit months ago, on some of the machines you have to scroll down the screen to get the 3 icon but its definately there, this would have been updated remotely by alphyra so its on every machine

jordainius wrote: »
    Not true at all. I live in a small town about 20 minutes drive from Limerick and not one of the four shops in the town sell call credit for 3.
    pm me with the town you live in and I'll tell you what stores you can get credit in.

Advertisement