Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mirrors Edge Release Date....

• 12-11-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when its out... Checked online, some say yesterday.. Some say today... Some say in two weeks time...

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Friday according to my local Gameshop in Rathmines...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The official release date here is friday (14/11), and today in the US.

Is it possible to book a rental of this from Xtravision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I doubt XV are that organised TBH :D

You could try ringing them and finding out. You sure as hell won't find out from their website which is pathetic.

I have ordered this from gamesnash.ie for delivery on the 14th :D

I'd say you're probably right. Definately not going to buy it though, just seems like more of a rental than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Just walk in Friday evening, I am sure there will be plenty of copies untouched by kiddies looking for Gears Of War 2 :rolleyes:

I'd say you're probably right. Definately not going to buy it though, just seems like more of a rental than anything else.

Agreed, it sounds really really really short.

koneko wrote: »
    Agreed, it sounds really really really short.

Only something like 10 hours of actual gameplay, with the rest being time trials? I think I heard that somewhere. Hopefully it'll be better than Assassin's Creed; looked fantastic and pretty, but just repetitive beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

6 hours on normal from what I've heard (for the main game).
    Time trials will add to that.

Mr E wrote: »
    6 hours on normal from what I've heard (for the main game).
    Time trials will add to that.

So you pay probably 60euro for a game that is finished in 6 hours?

.. bit of a rip-off, isn't it?

• Advertisement

How many people will want to replay a game with time trials though? I've heard some reports of completion times less than 6 hours too.

There is a large amount of replayability in this I think (mainly of appeal to achievement junkies, though). Those interested in just playing the game from start to finish once will get the least value out of it.

For example, there are 30 hidden packages in the game. There is an achievement for completing the game without killing anyone. There is a speed run mode with target times for all of the chapters (which I see as being a huge challenge). Then you have all of the time trials.

There is more to this than just the 6 hour story, but you have to want to play more than just the story to get value from this game. There are those who won't though, and they're the people who are largely negative about this game....

I'll be getting it anyway.... maybe second hand in a month (I can see shelves flooded with this), or as a christmas present, but I will buy it.

The story is really just filler for this game though. I mean, I played the demo 3 times and got faster throughout.

That is the whole idea of this game. Your supposed to think, yeah I did that fast but I think I can go faster again and try again to get through even faster.

You have to put yourself in that mindset and find that appealing I guess. Luckily I find that very appealing :D

Me too.... I'm one of those weirdos who played Marble Blast Ultra for 20-30 hours trying to beat everyones times. :)

Really looking forward to this game (the more I read about it, the more I want it).
    Tomorrow is GHWT day, though.

Review up on exiledgamers.com now for anyone that wants to read:

http://www.exiledgamers.com/gamereviews/28650-mirrors-edge.html

Anyone done a price check in the various shops? Anyone offering good value?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Feck it - so at 60 euro it's a tenner an hour,
    I spend more than that per hour on a night on the beers, and they're even worse for me.
    So I dunno worth it in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

Seems as though xtravision aren't renting this, well mine isn't :mad: don't understand why they only rent certain titles, EA got a boot on their neck or something.

Mine isn't either, so I bought it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

mancduff wrote: »
    Seems as though xtravision aren't renting this, well mine isn't :mad: don't understand why they only rent certain titles, EA got a boot on their neck or something.

You do know EA's the publisher of this game.

Anyone know how much Smyths or HMV have this for?

• Advertisement

rizzla wrote: »
    You do know EA's the publisher of this game.

Eh:confused: EA publisher, DICE = developer, DICE is owned by EA. I mean EA saying to xtravision don't rent our game but it was more of a joke akin to the fact the games supposed to be 6hrs long, i have no idea why xtravision only rents certain games ie why rent gears 2 when most people would have bought that seeing as it was a highly anticipa....... blah blah /rant

Probably because they know that once people hear how short its supposed to be, they're going to opt out of buying it and favour renting it. It must be safe to assume that there's more money to be made out of the purchase of a game than the rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Its like portal, short and sweet. Finished it last night, really enjoyed it and am playing through it again on the harder difficulty. I bought it as well but if your on a budget its a rental.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How long did it take for you to finish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Kiith wrote: »
    How long did it take for you to finish?

hmm I played it from 12 - 5 then from maybe 7 - 10.. about 7 - 8 hours id say it took me.. This was without using the guns.. if I was using the guns jesus I could have knocked of an hour or 2 :pac: Its damn hard to melee everyone.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Class game this! it might be short but it's serious fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

How much is it in the usual suspect stores?

Even though they told me they were'nt - popped into xtravision tonight and they had it for rental so they are renting ME, for anyone who's spent out like me thought you'd like to know. Just about to get stuck into it now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

dazftw wrote: »
    hmm I played it from 12 - 5 then from maybe 7 - 10.. about 7 - 8 hours id say it took me.. This was without using the guns.. if I was using the guns jesus I could have knocked of an hour or 2 :pac: Its damn hard to melee everyone.

The story mode isn't really the main game for me. The time trials are more fun. As you try to make your own route to the different check points.
    Its quite a good game, but not enough parkour moves really. You have jump, wall run, grab and swing, slide, and balance. And you can hop from wall to wall. No flips or summersalts. And a instant replay would have been a nice feature. head to head multiplyer.

But its different and well worth at least a rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just downloaded he demo of this last night and what a game, I wish I did it sooner. Really enjoying the style of the game and the techno tunes, really fits in. Definately picking this up, its a step out for EA like Dead Space was, Dice did a really good job with this. It reminds me of the Matrix or how a Matrix game should be done instead of the third person shooter. If it wasn't for the demo I'd be missing out on a classic. This could be the start of something good.

Advertisement