Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the procedure to become a Barrister?

• 12-11-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there,

Can anyone please tell me what's the procedure in becoming a barrister? is there a Degree or a Diploma needed and what's the apprenticeship length (Dragon) etc. Also,

On another topic completely, Without offending anyone, does anyone elce feel that the standard of solicitors is going to fall since Griffith college are doing crash courses in the FE1'S?.

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's all set out in a diagram on the website? Did you even check? :)
    http://www.kingsinns.ie/website/prospective_students/prospective.htm

How is the course in Griffith going to cause the standards of solicitors to fall?
    Everyone does the same FE-1 exams.
    It doesn't matter if you've a 1:1 in Law from Trinity or a 2:1 in business from Sligo IT, once you are eligible to sit the FE-1 exams you have the same chance as everyone.

Are you saying that Trinity, UCD and other university law students should the ones going for the exams? I've seen this in this forum a few times.

The law society set the exam standards, if standards fall the responsibility lies with them, not with Griffith college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

On another topic completely, Without offending anyone, does anyone elce feel that the standard of solicitors is going to fall since Griffith college are doing crash courses in the FE1'S?.

That doesnt make much sense....they could do a fisher price crash course in butter making but they still have to sit the same fe-1's as the rest of the country, griffith doesnt set the syllibus of the exams, if they want a higher standard of solicitors they should make the exams harder(that might not even work though as exams are only exams).

perhaps an opinion is best left to the people who know what they are talking about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

I'll have to get my two cent in here...

Right dont confuse legal academics with practicing as a lawyer, they're seperate, just because a person is academic (1.1 BCL, LL.B LLM PHD whatever) doesnt mean they are or will make good practitioners. Some of the best lawyers only have a lowly BA ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Hi there,

Can anyone please tell me what's the procedure in becoming a barrister?

Thanks...

A person wishing to be a barrister must go to the Supreme Court and be called to the bar by the Chief Justice. The degree of Barrister at Law from the Kings Inns is required. There is a one year period as a pupil (unpaid) after the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 keithogixer

Thanks,

The basis of me asking about the standards is that in the Law Society Gazette they were saying that the amount of people putting themselves forward for the FE1's is reducing. But due to Griffith college I'm of the opinion that the market is going to be saturated in 4-5years time. I know solicitors are being let go at the moment due to the drop in conveyancing but when the market comes back up again I think the pickings will be slim.

I'm doing an Hons Degree is Legal Studies and occasionally the lecture'r brings in questions from the FE1's. The questions are not look difficult comparing to the sort of text and questions that I/we are studying in college.

Thanks lads,

Keith...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

I'm of the opinion that the market is going to be saturated in 4-5years time.

It already is saturated. Enough has been spoken about this and you should utilise the search facility and read some of the numerous previous threads.
    I'm doing an Hons Degree is Legal Studies and occasionally the lecture'r brings in questions from the FE1's. The questions are not look difficult comparing to the sort of text and questions that I/we are studying in college.

Some of the FE-1 per subject have a circa 50% failure rate. Sitting four subjects with each having a failure rate of roughly 50% -you do the maths! Anyway, I can assure you if you do the fe-1's you will soon change your tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

The numbers doing the fe1s are reducing? :eek:
    I was under the impression they increase every year.Still bloody huge amount doing them though

Advertisement