Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to test if an extractor fan is working?

Options
  • 12-11-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I have an ensuite bathroom with no window. An extractor fan has been fitted but I have a re-occuring mold issue on the ceiling. Also the fan that is fitted is not very effect in clearing the air after a shower.

I have taken tips of previous posts on cleaning it with bleach & anti-mold paint so that will be the first job.

However the fan is "suppossed" to be connected to an outside vent via the attic but I have my doubts!

Is there any way to test it other than following the pipe across the attic???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Allabaah wrote: »
    I have an ensuite bathroom with no window. An extractor fan has been fitted but I have a re-occuring mold issue on the ceiling. Also the fan that is fitted is not very effect in clearing the air after a shower.

I have taken tips of previous posts on cleaning it with bleach & anti-mold paint so that will be the first job.

However the fan is "suppossed" to be connected to an outside vent via the attic but I have my doubts!

Is there any way to test it other than following the pipe across the attic???

One way of testing it is to put a sheet of loo paper up to the grill when the fan is running -- it should be held strongly against the grill. Ceiling mounted extraction fans are never that good in my experience, and the longer the pipe run to the outside (and the more bends in it) the worse they are. You could also check (in the attic I'm afraid) that the pipe isn't crushed or kinked somewhere, and take the grill off the fan and check that the blades are not coated with grunge, since they often do get after long use.

If the pipe is clear and the fan gives good suction, then the only conclusion is that it hasn't sufficient air movement capacity to clear the moisture from your bathroom. You might need to fit a bigger fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

ART6 wrote: »
    One way of testing it is to put a sheet of loo paper up to the grill when the fan is running -- it should be held strongly against the grill. Ceiling mounted extraction fans are never that good in my experience, and the longer the pipe run to the outside (and the more bends in it) the worse they are. You could also check (in the attic I'm afraid) that the pipe isn't crushed or kinked somewhere, and take the grill off the fan and check that the blades are not coated with grunge, since they often do get after long use.

If the pipe is clear and the fan gives good suction, then the only conclusion is that it hasn't sufficient air movement capacity to clear the moisture from your bathroom. You might need to fit a bigger fan.

Good tip! I have done the "tissue test" and it is holding relatively well but there are also water droplets oround the fan. From a previous post this could be due to the warm air hitting colder air in the attic.

Unfortunately for me I'm afraid there is no choice but to get up there into the attic and take your guidance. Another tip could be to insulate the pipe to stop the droplets as well.

Is there any was to see the "suction power" of a fan if I was to get a stronger one? Also is there a noise level indicator??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Is there any was to see the "suction power" of a fan if I was to get a stronger one? Also is there a noise level indicator??

You could identify the model you want, ring the manufacturer and give them the dimensions of the room it is to ventilate. Hopefully,they'll tell you the size of room it was designed to service.:)
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 26,151 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You could get yourself an anemometer. They test air movement. It has a little fan on it connected to a meter. The air suction moves the fan and the speed is calculated on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Good tip! I have done the "tissue test" and it is holding relatively well but there are also water droplets oround the fan. From a previous post this could be due to the warm air hitting colder air in the attic.

Unfortunately for me I'm afraid there is no choice but to get up there into the attic and take your guidance. Another tip could be to insulate the pipe to stop the droplets as well.

Water droplets around the fan would certainly cause your problem since the water would seep out around the grill and into the plaster or plasterboard ceiling. Both are pretty close to blotting paper! A more powerful fan might stop that by moving air too fast for condensation to occur or water to run back, but the bigger the fan the noisier it will be. I haven't bought one for some time, but I would expect the packaging to state what noise level and performance to expect. The problem with that is that I'd guess you don't have the same information for the fan you have now? So making a comparison would be impossible.

Personally I am not an enthusiast for ceiling mounted fans in bathrooms because they often create as many problems as they solve. A fan that exhausts directly out through a wall of a window is always better in my view. If you can't put in a wall vent, might be worth considering a fan mounted in a window pane -- that's simply a matter of getting a pane cut to suit the fan and putting it in the window with some pins and putty. You could run a power cable to it from the connection to the existing fan. With such an installation you won't get drips and the fan will work at it's best efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

The bathroom is an ensuite which has only a toilet & a shower and basically you can't swing a cat in it! It is totally enclosed with no possibility to get natural air into it via a window. Also it is semi-detached where the bathroom is on the connecting wall to the neighbours. Indeed I would say that it is the smallest possible size for a bathroom with a toilet & shower!

Best course of action for the moment is to get up into the attic & see whats going on there.

I would hold counsel & report back when investigated!

Tks for all the help so far

Advertisement