Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coasting

Options
  • 12-11-2008 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi Guys,

Have my test Friday, just wondering what exactly is coasting? Say for example I am in 3rd or 4th gear and am coming to a stop for a red light, what I usually do is depress the clutch as I am breaking and leave my foot on the clutch before I really need to, as inif im going 80km/h in 4th, I depress the clutch before the car slows much. Is this coasting?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Yes that sounds like coasting.

It would be better to shift down the gears as you are slowing, but go no lower than second gear. When you are close to stopping you can depress the clutch.

Have you had some driving lessons? If you coast during the test you will most probably fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

If you are saying you are putting into the clutch at 80 km/hr as you are braking to a stop then you are almost certainly coasting to a stop!

There are 4 types of coasting :

1. Coasting to a stop. This is when you put in the clutch too early and travel a significant distance with the clutch in before you stop. This should not be confused with stopping a high gear which is perfectly acceptable but even in that case you will only have the clutch in for the last few meters before you stop.

2. Coasting around corners. This is where for example you begin to change to 2nd gear as you come to a corner but then realise that you are still going too fast for 2nd gear as you get to the corner so you end up driving around the corner with your foot on the clutch. The solution is to ensure you have all of your braking and gear changes done and off the clutch before you get to the corner.

3. Coasting in gear. This again is a common mistake when people think they are coming down the gears. You must come off the clutch every time you select a gear otherwise you are coasting in gear. A typical example of this would be driving along in 4th gear and starting to slow down so brake, in the clutch move gear lever to 3rd but leave clutch in, continue braking, move gear lever to 2nd and then come off the clutch - you've just coasted in gear!

4. Coasting in Neutral. Not a very common one but sometimes happens. Basically it means selecting neutral while the car is still moving. Most commonly occurs with people coming to a stop and as they slow down they move the gears into neutral before they have stopped and leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Very useful info- thanks :) I tend to coast especially when coming to a stop at lights etc. Trying hard to get out of the habit now- but its a hard one to break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Poobear123

I agree totally, I tried today to get out of it, to my surprise, once I think about it before I stop i dont do it hmmmm, Im afraid if I think about it too much ill make another mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Find an empty car park and practice coming to a stop in 5th gear. You will be amazed how slow you can go before the engine starts to struggle and you need to depress the clutch.

For those with a rev counter, consider using the clutch once the engine drops to 800rpm (for a petrol engine).

• Advertisement
Advertisement