Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

women mods high on power ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What's the difference between a CMod and a Mod anyway? Who is higher up in the rank.

Also why no Rockers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

KevIRL wrote: »
    I'd disagree that they are difficult. Usually very straightforward really. If things are going a bit too far a word from a mod to the community usually sets things back on track again.

Very difficult to keep track of. High traffic,log off for 3 hours and you've alot of catching up to do. That was my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I don't see how a chat/off topic thread is hard to mod.

If there was constant flame wars, or posts getting reported then yeah I can understand but I would seriously doubt this is the case in the Soccer one anyway.

I know it moves fast but you don't have to make sure its staying on topic, you don't even have to keep an eye for flame wars because they aren't happening and their is always at least one poster that would report it. If anyone posts anything that is offensive then the offended person can then just report it.

Mods itself I would say. Only GuanYin has ever felt the need to "mod" it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

RasTa wrote: »
    What's the difference between a CMod and a Mod anyway? Who is higher up in the rank.

Also why no Rockers?
    Cmod mods the category eg: Sport, Rec, etc.

• Advertisement

Again I'd like to point out regarding this so called "abuse" that myself and the vats majority of the soccer forums posters who stopped in here have not been abusive. So drop the victim complex. We're entitled to ask if this kind of crap should be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Chong wrote: »
    LOL you dont know the soccer forum then.

LOL never been in there but from your reply i reckon you mean you have to crawl through a mile of dirty syringes and broken glass to have a chance of a thread being opened!

This has however, been one of the best threads i've read in a long time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Neil, some people are being abusive and I can't see how they think it's going to get them anywhere.

On the other side: Nerin, I think you're being too snide. It's a strange way of telling people to be more civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Thaedydal wrote: »

Even Off Topic threads have their limits and mod have to know where the line is to encourage people to move out of the forum and in to one more appropriate. If posters don't get this and don't follow mod direction then stern action has to be taken. Unfortunately that plus abuse for those mod actions has caused the thread to be closed.

I am sure everyone would agree with this. It would be great if GY could copy some of the posts IN THE OTT thread which she found unacceptable and felt was good reason to close it then I'd love to see it. Just so posters know what not to do etc..

Fourthly I think it is a shame this has happened but it has taken the poster and the mods for this to happen. Posters have to accept they can not throw thier weight around and ignore mod directives and not get into indept discussion of topic which are suited else where. Once people cop on to that and stop being nasty I am sure the thread will be re opened.

What mod directives did the posters in the OTT ignore? Posters cant throw their weight around but clearly mods can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

From what I can tell here, someone started a troll thread about female mods, some soccor folks started giving out about a female modding soccer and after a bit of back and forth the same mod locked the banter thread on the soccer forum? That about right?

If that's the case then it seems to me to be a case of the mod throwing their toys out of their pram. If there have been no actual problems on the thread then I don't see why it was locked. If the thread was off topic and not fit for the soccer forum, why was it left to run so long before locking it?

I think an off topic banter thread is a good thing for a forum like soccer, users who support different teams are less likely to have a go at users who support a rival team if they interact with them and have fun with them in a banter thread. Could be wrong, just my opinion on it.

And I am more than aware of the problems of modding a big off topic thread, but it's part of the gig when you mod a forum that has one. I think that if if they become problematic they should certainly be nuked, but it doesn't appear that that was the case here. If some people are repeatedly ruining the thread, ban those users, permenantly if need be, and make an example of them so people know that laid back does not equal free for all. I don't see the point of locking the entire thread though

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Neil, some people are being abusive and I can't see how they think it's going to get them anywhere.

On the other side: Nerin, I think you're being too snide. It's a strange way of telling people to be more civil.

The difficulties of communicating through text it seems. I'll admit to being snide to some of those acting like goons,but to more of the posters here,i'm not directing any snideness

Nerin wrote: »
    Very difficult to keep track of. High traffic,log off for 3 hours and you've alot of catching up to do. That was my point.

Hence why the most popular forums have more then 1 mod...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thirdly Off topic threads are new, chat and banter was always frown on most forums so they are an experiment, it can happen that new memeber who come to the site to post in just one forum have been using them to avoid posting about topics on the rest of the site.

Even Off Topic threads have their limits and mod have to know where the line is to encourage people to move out of the forum and in to one more appropriate. If posters don't get this and don't follow mod direction then stern action has to be taken. Unfortunately that plus abuse for those mod actions has caused the thread to be closed.

Off topic threads are prevalent in forums that have a strong community that post there. They would not work on every forum. For those that have them, then the only rules imo that should be applied are behavioural. If someone says something that breaks the no abuse or no disgusting posts rules that are generally boardswide, or specific forum rules, then they should be treated as they normally would be. If a 50 post discussion happens on a football match, or political event, saying move it to the correct forum is defeating the point of those threads.

As some others have said, boards is for users, mods should only be there to keep it that way and make sure it is a good and relevant place to be. One off topic thread in a forum dedicated to another subject that lets people banter and develop friendships of sorts is good for a forum with a large community feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Wreck wrote: »
    One other thing, off-topic/general chit-chat threads are the most popular threads in pretty much every forum in which they exist. I've never posted in the soccer OTT thread, mainly because the poker forum thread is so good. I kinda think every forum could do with a thread like this. See the bar in BGRH, the lair in the nocturnal forum and my own personal favorite Stains in the mustard forum.

Also note, as far as I am aware,none of the mods of any of these forums have problems with these threads.

There have been issues with both yorema's and the lair, this exact same issue of those chatty off topic threads having discussions which were suited to other forums, even the soccer forum and the BGRH mod including myself
    resloved this by using mod directives and using the

Soccer/sports forums that way
    >

To let posters know and it does for the most part work.
    The lair had the same issue and the Noc mods found thier way to communicate to the poster there.

Neither sets of those regular poster saw the need to ignore, start feedback threads, flame or hurl abuse at any one.
    I don't see how a chat/off topic thread is hard to mod.

Mods itself I would say. Only GuanYin has ever felt the need to "mod" it.

They don't but when you do it right and can nudge posters along and get them to behave it runs smoothly, but that means there has be respect and co operation both of which seem to be lacking in soccer atm and I can now see why once the whole forum was closed.

Dudess wrote: »

Perhaps. But if you look at who is being abusive, the OT thread regulars here are not, for the majority, being abusive. it's hard not to be angry about this considering this is our equivalent of the Bar. This place would explode if that was ever shut down and I'm sure many an abusive post would pop up.

Dudess, do you honestly think that shutting this thread down was justified?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

What sort of crap, when the OT thread was started it was stated that if anybody complained about it or how it was moderated then it would be closed.

Somebody complained, it is closed. Easy really.

Hence why the most popular forums have more then 1 mod...

Very true,can you imagine if there was only 1! The problem is that no other soccer mod has come in to say whether what gy said about the thread is true,and the only people saying its lies are ones that can't seem to behave nicely. The more this tread goes on though (and the more posts i get to read from users not bawing) the other mods are needed to see wtf is going on.

There have been issues with both yorema's and the lair, this exact same issue of those chatty off topic threads having discussions which were suited to other forums, even the soccer forum and the BGRH mod including myself
    resloved this by using mod directives and using the

Soccer/sports forums that way
    >

To let posters know and it does for the most part work.
    The lair had the same issue and the Noc mods found thier way to communicate to the poster there.

Neither sets of those regular poster saw the need to ignore, start feedback threads, flame or hurl abuse at any one.

They don't but when you do it right and can nudge posters along and get them to behave it runs smoothly, but that means there has be respect and co operation both of which seem to be lacking in soccer atm and I can now see why once the whole forum was closed.
    At the end of the day right :

A mod has abused their modding powers.

Two people made complaints in this thread at the start and the off topic thread was closed.

The fault lies with the mod no matter what way anyone dress this up.

What sort of crap, when the OT thread was started it was stated that if anybody complained about it or how it was moderated then it would be closed.

Complaints werent about the thread or its content.

Closing down an 11000 post thread over this isn't a load of crap? you've been posting on that thread at least as much as Dub13. You know damn well how good that thread has been for the forum.

If i banned you from MMA because we're having a disagreement here would that be appropriate? No.

If you banned me from soccer now for this post would that be appropriate? No.

So how is Gy's beef with charlie leading to shutting down one of the most frequented threads on boards apppropriate?

• Advertisement

At the end of the day right :

A mod has abused their modding powers.

Two people made complaints in this thread at the start and the off topic thread was closed.

The fault lies with the mod no matter what way anyone dress this up.

In your opinion. Now thanx4thefish has said that its clean cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I've never posted in the Soccer forum. I'm pretty sure I don't even have access.

But from reading this thread and the ground rules that Guan Yin described here and in the help desk thread, I could have very easily gotten that thread shut down despite the fact that I don't even post in it. Am I getting that right? All I would have had to do was create a bit of a stink in Feedback and I could have ruined it for the rest of the posters?

Seems to me there's something wrong there.

Jesus, the modding on the soccer forum really has gone to ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

ollyk1 wrote: »
    Anybody else notice how much that Nicky guy looks like Stewie from family guy???

FG_stewie_victory.jpg

I didn't know Stewie played poker....but he sure does stir sh1t pretty good.

how ironic you should post this Olly as peter = olly imo

Nerin wrote: »
    In your opinion. Now thanx4thefish has said that its clean cut.
    But the complaints are the complaints from this thread being from Charlie and Zuroph and they werent actual complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I don't see where any of the soccer mods mentioned the topics that were being discussed on the off topic thread as being a problem. Topics normally moved a long very quickly in their and yeah people might talk about a tv show for a few pages but tens minutes later the discussion could have moved on. It's not like there is a day spent in their discussing on topic.

Closing down an 11000 post thread over this isn't a load of crap? you've been posting on that thread at least as much as Dub13. You know damn well how good that thread has been for the forum.

If i banned you from MMA because we're having a disagreement here would that be appropriate? No.

If you banned me from soccer now for this post would that be appropriate? No.

So how is Gy's beef with charlie leading to shutting down one of the most frequented threads on boards apppropriate?
    I do and agree that it is a good outlet for the forum. It does not mean that somebody should come on, whinge about the moderation of it and then expect that it remains open, even though in the first days of it's inception it was said that if complaints about what goes on in it were made then it would be closed.

But the complaints are the complaints from this thread being from Charlie and Zuroph and they werent actual complaints.
    Argue to him,not me,man,i'm not a soccer
    Mod. They've given the reason together now. You don't agree with it.

Why, because I disagreed with something you said earlier. Jesus the standard of the contributions on this site has truly gone to crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It was always that way. I think they are talking about bringing in some new clean slate thing since so many people are banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement