Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

women mods high on power ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

I have gone into the paranormal forum and from there I've opened the off topic thread in the soccer forum, sorry for the abuse of my powers but somebody had to step in, and well Ronnie Drew is dead so it had to be me..

Elvis sez LOL at this thread...:cool: youknowhaimsayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Nerin wrote: »
    Very popular,hence the difficulty. Problem is though,sometimes something is popular but too much trouble,and gets nuked. It may be an unpopular decision,but it doesn't give users the right to hurl abuse. Of course they should voice their opinions,but in a better manner than they have here.

I'm going to put my popcorn down for a minute..I've been glued to this thread from the start even though I've never even posted on the soccer forum.

From the outside (and i know my opinion is more than likely irrelevant) it looks like this to me.

The OTT didn't get locked till about 3 pages in. If the OTT was problematic, not worth it etc would it not have been better to post some sort of statement for the soccer forum users. Listing the reasons etc at the time it was actually decided upon (looks like very bad timing).

It looks like ..it was closed as a result of this thread. I cant imagine how difficult it must be to mod a forum like that, but the whole dictatorship attitude the mod has taken on here has been inflammatory i think.

And yes, Nerin i think people are angry and a lot of the abuse is uncalled for. They are losing a place on boards the found refuge in, can't blame them, but it should be toned down in some cases.

I know boards is not a "free speech" place. But is it really a dictatorship?

If so... I'm sorry i asked, ignorance is bliss.

I think we all should have a group hug :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

What sort of crap, when the OT thread was started it was stated that if anybody complained about it or how it was moderated then it would be closed.

Somebody complained, it is closed. Easy really.

Terrible rule to begin with, and can easily be changed now. Can't believe people are actually defending this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

RasTa wrote: »
    It was always that way. I think they are talking about bringing in some new clean slate thing since so many people are banned.

You are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I do and agree that it is a good outlet for the forum. It does not mean that somebody should come on, whinge about the moderation of it and then expect that it remains open, even though in the first days of it's inception it was said that if complaints about what goes on in it were made then it would be closed.
    So two people making complaints closes the thread?

Charlies Post:
    I see you have employed your usual level of diplomacy when replying to some criticsim.

And yes, that's all I care about when posting in OTT, pics of nude women.

The majority of times when a pic of a women was posted in OTT, it was of someone who was being discussed or a situation and they are rarely if ever 'scantily clad'. e.g. talking about Entourage and one of it's characters

Not even a complaint

Zurophs
    Isn't it an Off-topic thread, soccer being the "topic"?

FFS explain how this merits the closure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Chong wrote: »
    At the end of the day right :

A mod has abused their modding powers.

Two people made complaints in this thread at the start and the off topic thread was closed.

The fault lies with the mod no matter what way anyone dress this up.

Ok so what you are saying it that this is not a case of

OTT goes way OTT and the mod issue warning/directive
    Mod warning/directive is ignored by posters
    Mod get sterner with them

Posters get disgruntled and one of them starts a thread having a go at female mods abusing power in feedback rather then have to balls to address the issue.

Over the course of the feedback thread the real reason it was started comes out and rather then take abuse over the modding in the OTT the mod shuts it down as the posters can't stick to the rules laid down when it was started.

Que heading of abuse on the soccer mod and other mods by certain soccer posters and here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

themadchef wrote: »
    I'm going to put my popcorn down for a minute..I've been glued to this thread from the start even though I've never even posted on the soccer forum.

From the outside (and i know my opinion is more than likely irrelevant) it looks like this to me.

The OTT didn't get locked till about 3 pages in. If the OTT was problematic, not worth it etc would it not have been better to post some sort of statement for the soccer forum users. Listing the reasons etc at the time it was actually decided upon (looks like very bad timing).

It looks like ..it was closed as a result of this thread. I cant imagine how difficult it must be to mod a forum like that, but the whole dictatorship attitude the mod has taken on here has been inflammatory i think.

And yes, Nerin i think people are angry and a lot of the abuse is uncalled for. They are losing a place on boards the found refuge in, can't blame them, but it should be toned down in some cases.

I know boards is not a "free speech" place. But is it really a dictatorship?

If so... I'm sorry i asked, ignorance is bliss.

I think we all should have a group hug :D

Have you malteasers,thats the question :) from what i gathered,it was said that if there was complaints,it was getting closed. There was,then there was all this abuse. Then we waited for another mod. They agreed. Now ALL the soccer mods are wrong. Group hug indeed

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I do and agree that it is a good outlet for the forum. It does not mean that somebody should come on, whinge about the moderation of it and then expect that it remains open, even though in the first days of it's inception it was said that if complaints about what goes on in it were made then it would be closed.

This thread was never about the Off Topic thread in soccer until it was referred to once and then locked out of what can only be called spite.

This thread as I've said before was a stupid trollish thread to highlight the fact that I poted in a totally different off topic thread that I think a high proportion of the over the top mods on here are female (not to say they all are). I don't think many mods are over the top though, but that is not the issue here.

I don't think I have ever posted in the OT thread on soccer, so it certainly isn't being closed to punish me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Jesus, the modding on the soccer forum really has gone to ****.

I don't want to see the thread closed, I rarley post in it but I enjoy reading it, this has nothing to do with the modding of the soccer forum at all...

the thread was opened some conditions were put on that one thread.

those conditions were not met.

i think your forgetting its not that long really since the whole soccer forum was closed down all together we're lucky to have it in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Why, because I disagreed with something you said earlier. Jesus the standard of the contributions on this site has truly gone to crap.

No, it's because two of the soccer mods cant see why closing the OTT thread was the moist pettiest/childish thats happened on these forums in a long time.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »

Posters get disgruntled and one of them starts a thread having a go at female mods abusing power in feedback rather then have to balls to address the issue.

Over the course of the feedback thread the real reason it was started comes out and rather then take abuse over the modding in the OTT the mod shuts it down as the posters can't stick to the rules laid down when it was started.

Que heading of abuse on the soccer mod and other mods by certain soccer posters and here we are.
    OP nothing to do with the soccer forum at all firstly.

Soccer OTT = no issues whatsoever its exemplary.

Abuse for Soccer mod = Shutting down OTT soccer thread over a falling out with two posters.

This is ridiculous Thaed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Complaints were not made about what went on in the thread. One complaint from one user was made regarding how the thread has been moderated by one mod. It seems real obvious that this is a mod who got pissed off at a user and acted on that. As punishing all users for one users comments is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I'm not certain about the truth of the first part of what I have quoted, but the bit in bold is completely false.

you're a real moderen day columbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ntlbell wrote: »
    I don't want to see the thread closed, I rarley post in it but I enjoy reading it, this has nothing to do with the modding of the soccer forum at all...

the thread was opened some conditions were put on that one thread.

those conditions were not met.

i think your forgetting its not that long really since the whole soccer forum was closed down all together we're lucky to have it in the first place

The fact that a condition like that was set up in the first place also highlights how bad the modding in the soccer forum is.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well this was unexpected.

Ok here goes -
    GuanYin wrote: »
    I mean if it is going to cause a debate on semantics when I clarify what is and isn't OK in the thread, I know what the easier option for me is.

That's a cop out.

You have moaned and moaned about how much hassle you modding soccer and politics. Well if you don't like doing it then gtfo. Closing a thread because it's 'easier' for you is not the proper way to mod a forum.

I have nothing but time for you and you know that but this is ridiculous.
    I do indeed, however, that thread is a privilidge, not a right, it is a thread that requires moderation and responsibility because it lies loosely outside the forum remit, this takes time which ultimately falls on us.

Far less moderation than any other thread in the forum. Are you forgetting that a lot of us regulars have access to the reported posts section? I would like to the details of how many reported posts there have actually been from that thread. You could probably count them on one hand.

The thread has also had a knock on positive effect on the rest of the forum and has gone a long way to releaving tensions between rival fans.

For example, now that I know Neil1984 I won't go thinking he's nothing more than a rag bastard around Manchester derby time. He's merely another football fan and a good lad.

Frankly there are a few people who think that they can act whatever way they want and abuse mods to get their way.

Then use your feckin mod power and ban them ffs. Don't punish the rest of us.
    The thread itself is fine and the closure has nothing to do with the opening of this feedback thread, or indeed this thread topic, but outside of the off-topic thread, if I have to take hassle from people because I set ground rules, I'm not going to argue, I'm just going to close the thread. That is my point.

When I say trouble, I mean trouble for us.

Again, if you don't like a little complaint then soccer isn't the place for you. Nothing to do with gender, nothing to with you as a person. It's the same for anyone. If it's too much hassle then don't do it.
    I like the OTT thread, I was one of the higher contributors for a while. I quite like the thread in the forum. However, I said from the outset, when it becomes more trouble than it is worth, it will be closed.

Again I would like evidence to back up the statement that it's 'more trouble thatn it's worth'.

FFS the Spurs v Pool thread wasn't closed and there was far more trouble in that. Same for the City/Pool thread. Jeez, I even PM'd mods with regard to that thread and sweet FA was done, yet toys are thrown out of the pram over this.

5starpool wrote: »
    Also, I don't think locking the Pat Dolan pic thread was a bad decision, if it were an equivalent in poker I would either have locked it or merged it with the poker off topic thread.

Agreed. A simple soultion to a simple problem.
    What sort of crap, when the OT thread was started it was stated that if anybody complained about it or how it was moderated then it would be closed.

That's a little too black and white to be fair and doesn't keep in with the new wave of good modding we had been seeing on the forum lately.

But if you want the forum to be that crystal clear then I expect more rgular bannings/thread closures and will be complaining if they don't come about.

The bottom line is that the OT thread is, in most people's opinions, now a vital part of soccer forum. For too long the forum was accussed of housing tribalism yet this has pretty much all gone out the window with the simple creation of a fun thread.

Locking it will cause more problems than it will fix.

Complaints were not made about what went on in the thread. One complaint from one user was made regarding how the thread has been moderated by one mod. It seems real obvious that this is a mod who got pissed off at a user and acted on that. As punishing all users for one users comments is crazy.
    Exactly people need to go back to the start and look at what has happened here, take off your modded coloured specs and you will see how this has manifested.

The fact that a condition like that was set up in the first place also highlights how bad the modding in the soccer forum is.

but forums don't have an automatic right to OTT threads

so she could of just said no to it in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You are wrong.

You are useless.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help folks I will pass the info on.

homerjay2005,I cant do anything about bans I also have to abide by rules but there is a review on all bans coming up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Wreck wrote: »
    I'm not certain about the truth of the first part of what I have quoted, but the bit in bold is completely false.

Cheers I am just trying to wade through this and make some sense of it all.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well this was unexpected.

Ok here goes -

That's a cop out.

You have moaned and moaned about how much hassle you modding soccer and politics. Well if you don't like doing it then gtfo. Closing a thread because it's 'easier' for you is not the proper way to mod a forum.

I have nothing but time for you and you know that but this is ridiculous.

Far less moderation than any other thread in the forum. Are you forgetting that a lot of us regulars have access to the reported posts section? I would like to the details of how many reported posts there have actually been from that thread. You could probably count them on one hand.

The thread has also had a knock on positive effect on the rest of the forum and has gone a long way to releaving tensions between rival fans.

For example, now that I know Neil1984 I won't go thinking he's nothing more than a rag bastard around Manchester derby time. He's merely another football fan and a good lad.

If you guys want to act like dicks when we set rules and push us like we're denying you some god given right, then why on earth should I waste my time?

Then use your feckin mod power and ban them ffs. Don't punish the rest of us.

Again, if you don't like a little complaint then soccer isn't the place for you. Nothing to do with gender, nothing to with you as a person. It's the same for anyone. If it's too much hassle then don't do it.

Again I would like evidence to back up the statement that it's 'more trouble thatn it's worth'.

FFS the Spurs v Pool thread wasn't closed and there was far more trouble in that. Same for the City/Pool thread. Jeez, I even PM'd mods with regard to that thread and sweet FA was done, yet toys are thrown out of the pram over this.

Agreed. A simple soultion to a simple problem.

That's a little too black and white to be fair and doesn't keep in with the new wave of good modding we had been seeing on the forum lately.

But if you want the forum to be that crystal clear then I expect more rgular bannings/thread closures and will be complaining if they don't come about.

The bottom line is that the OT thread is, in most people's opinions, now a vital part of soccer forum. For too long the forum was accussed of housing tribalism yet this has pretty much all gone out the window with the simple creation of a fun thread.

Locking it will cause more problems than it will fix.
    Fupping Excellent post !!

Was waiting for you to arrive , damn timezones!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Nonsense

what does zaph know about being a lady and he mods the ladies lounge?

wait; fair point.

How did I get dragged into this? :confused:

Cheers I am just trying to wade through this and make some sense of it all.

start with not making any assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,707 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thaedydal wrote:
    Even Off Topic threads have their limits and mod have to know where the line is to encourage people to move out of the forum and in to one more appropriate. If posters don't get this and don't follow mod direction then stern action has to be taken. Unfortunately that plus abuse for those mod actions has caused the thread to be closed.

Of course Off Topic Threads have their limits, but does it not make more sense for those who breach these limits to be infracted/dealt with, rather then closing a whole thread? the only times besides this that i've seen a thread closed are when they have descended into madness/chaos, which has clearly not happened in this case. Seems like a broad brush stroke where maybe a touch with an eraser would have sufficed.

This is true, but now that its been done, using pure common sense, does it not seem like its following the letter of the law rather then the spirit of the law? I mean, someone randomly could have complained about something months ago, regardless how many agreed or disagreed and it would be closed, that just doesn't sound fair, and i guarantee if some people on this forum had realised this law existed they would have lodged a complaint within days just for the craic. IMO that rule was written in more to mean "if yer not well behaved in here, we'll close her up", but people were actually exceptionally well behaved, amazingly so considering some of the rivalries that exist in soccer.

Zaph wrote: »

Ah Zaph, you're always on my mind sweetheart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Zaph wrote: »
    As far as Im aware this is ALL your fault :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

No, it's because two of the soccer mods cant see why closing the OTT thread was the moist pettiest/childish thats happened on these forums in a long time.
    No, the responses to the closing are the most petty childish thing that's happened on these forums in a long time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah Zaph, you're always on my mind sweetheart.

Now I'm worried!
    zuroph wrote: »

Ah right, that explains a lot. We should probably just close this thread now then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

zuroph wrote: »

If we replace uro with a...hmmm it could be done,i like it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

RasTa wrote: »
    You are useless.

Nope, you have just misinterpreted something that somebody has said. A review of bans is nothing like a clean slate type of thing.

Do you want to toss out any more abuse while you are here rasta ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement