Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

women mods high on power ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why waste more words than necessary to get a point across? I could dress my response to you up in more words if you like but since we have already established your low attention span and your willingness to read into things messages that were clearly not there in the previous two posts it is probably safer to keep it as concise as possible.

Yes, I would like a full response please as to why you are reviewing bans on the soccer form. I don't see it on the main form myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

GuanYin wrote: »
    Yes.

When the abuse stops and the ground rules we set at the start are acknowledged.

Cheers. And to be honest a lot of people posting in this thread don't even post in the OT thread much, if ever.
    They just seem to want to have a bandwagon to jump on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

RasTa wrote: »
    Yes, I would like a full response please as to why you are reviewing bans on the soccer form. I don't see it on the main form myself.

It was in the announcements section. Perhaps you should pay more attention.

So it's not showing in the soccer form? Alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Imo the ground rules are ridiculous. I could (before tonight ;)) have applied for access to Soccer and probably gotten in. I could have kept the head down for a while and then very easily gotten the OTT closed without actually bringing any bans/infractions on myself.

That seems a bit silly to me. The idea of collective responsibility is unworkable. It's an anonymous internet forum after all. The feedback rule means anyone with a grudge or just a determined troll could get the thread shut down for everybody else.

If the mods decide that an off topic thread can't exist without such draconian rules then they shouldn't allow one in the first place. From reading the posts on here though it actually caused very little trouble and the ground rules (in particular the feedback rule) may have been unnecessarily strict.

The closing of the thread seems spiteful and reactionary to me. It doesn't appear that the thread was actually causing trouble and the mods appear to be hiding behind the rules. Technically they are in the right and they are sticking to that line.

The whole thing reminds me of when somebody in school would do something and the teacher would give the whole class a punishment because nobody owned up. What usually happened there was that the kid who was to blame would get his arse kicked after school. On the internet kicking the offender's arse isn't an option. So basically the situation is that someone can just come along anonymously and wreck everybody else's fun with no repercussions.

I don't understand it.

• Advertisement

So it's not showing in the soccer form? Alright.

The announcements section of the soccer forum. So yes, it was in the soccer forum.

Perhaps you should stop being so snotty and realise that as a Mod of a forum which is receiving criticism for being poorly moderated you should attempt to comport yourself in a manner which might inspire something other than hostility from those people who read your posts.

The announcements section of the soccer forum. So yes, it was in the soccer forum.

For the 4th time where? I can't see it anymore. Got a link?

I am not being snotty, I am answering the questions psed of me. If you cannot tell the difference the the internet is not the place for you. (Obligatory smiley added for roos benefit) :) and as I understand it roo, the forum is not receiving criticism for being poorly moderated, it is being criticised for a single decision made on it.

I am not being snotty, I am answering the questions psed of me. If you cannot tell the difference the the internet is not the place for you. (Obligatory smiley added for roos benefit) :)

I'm fine here with the rest of the inmates thanks.

The tone of your post was derogatory and any attempt to say otherwise is simply false. Also I like the ironic smiley comment which is, blatantly, snotty.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So all this was to prove a point, and once everyone realises that GY can snap her fingers and open.close the thread at will, she will reopen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Perhaps you should stop being so snotty and realise that as a Mod of a forum which is receiving criticism for being poorly moderated you should attempt to comport yourself in a manner which might inspire something other than hostility from those people who read your posts.

:confused: wtf are you on about?

T4TF is defending himself against an unwarranted attack. The post RasTa is looking for is there for all to see. Calling him 'uselees' is a disgrace and does nothing to aid the primary issue here.

Neither do you btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

thanx for the fish, cna u link me to the ground rules for the ott also please, they're not at the start as i expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

GuanYin can I ask why you want to mod the soccer forum in the first place?

I find it surprising that someone with an interest in soccer has never heard of Pat Dolan, so I presume (and am open to correction) that you are not a huge soccer fan.

Would the problem not be solved by you simply wiping your hands clean of the forum and getting someone else to take over.

If a poll was put up here on the topic of whether the thread should of been closed no doubt there would be an overwhelming majority of people saying that it should not have been closed.

Xavi6 wrote: »

T4TF is defending himself against an unwarranted attack. The post RasTa is looking for is there for all to see. Calling him 'uselees' is a disgrace and does nothing to aid the primary issue here.

Neither do you btw.

Well Said.

I'd like to ask people who don't actually post in the Soccer OT Thread to kindly STFU.
    You just seem to like excuses to complain and your pettiness and stupid remarks are only hurting those of us who actually use the thread.

Neither do you btw.

I'm serious, I can't see it! I can see legal threat=site ban. All I'm asking for is a link and not going back and forth. A 'disgrace'??? are you worked up again?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd say the reason that GY has never heard of Pat Dolan is because she lives in America, so it is understandable and no reflection on the vast majority of threads there which are about leagues other than Irish ones (yes, I know there are a good few about LOI as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I am not being snotty, I am answering the questions psed of me.

This is answering the question:
    It was in the announcements section.

This is being snotty:
    Perhaps you should pay more attention.

If you cannot tell the difference then maybe you should look at the 'tone' of your posts sometimes. I'm normally the last person to hop on a mod bashing bandwagon and I haven't had any dealings with you AFAIK so I'm not prejudiced here. But even as a neutral I can see that posts reads as being snotty.

EDIT: For the record, I do think the mods of soccer (and politics) get an awful hard time in Feedback sometimes. And the "You're useless" comment earlier was out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Frisbee wrote: »
    Well Said.

I'd like to ask people who don't actually post in the Soccer OT Thread to kindly STFU.
    You just seem to like excuses to complain and your pettiness and stupid remarks are only hurting those of us who actually use the thread.

This thread is not about OTT in soccer. so you STFU. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

shoutman wrote: »
    I find it surprising that someone with an interest in soccer has never heard of Pat Dolan

Given that GY is based in the States I don't find it all that surprising myself. Would you know all the managers and pundits in the MLS?

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    GuanYin can I ask why you want to mod the soccer forum in the first place?

I find it surprising that someone with an interest in soccer has never heard of Pat Dolan, so I presume (and am open to correction) that you are not a huge soccer fan.

Would the problem not be solved by you simply wiping your hands clean of the forum and getting someone else to take over.

If a poll was put up here on the topic of whether the thread should of been closed no doubt there would be an overwhelming majority of people saying that it should not have been closed.

GuanYin is extremely knowledgable on soccer and a very good poster in the forum.

Her lack of knowledge of Pat Dolan can simply be attributed to the fact that she lives in the United States and does not have any exposure to League of Ireland football apart from Boards.ie.

Put it this way, can you, off the top of your head, name the current Chicago Fire manager?

zuroph wrote: »
    This thread is not about OTT in soccer. so you STFU. :)

What OT thread is being complained about then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Zaph wrote: »
    Given that GY is based in the States I don't find it all that surprising myself. Would you know all the managers and pundits in the MLS?

I did not realise that... but the question still stands is GuanYin a big soccer fan, and why does she want to mod the forum when clearly all this nonsense would be cleared up if she just decided not to bother with it.

Neither do you btw.

The primary issue, as I understand it, is that the Soccer mods, originally GuanYin in particular, were being far too black and white in their application of the rules and that the rules themselves were far too strict.

I do understand that Soccer is a forum which needs very strict guidelines but the forum, while not a democracy, should still be moderated in the interests of the posters who give it it's character and keep it alive.

My comment about T4TF was simply pointing out, albeit I admit perhaps more forcibly than was initally appropriate, that given the current critique of the moderation of the Soccer forum that he would do well to act and respond to comments in a more cordial manner. Rasta asked where the relevant information was and rather than simply answering him T4TF directed him and added a postscript which was designed to be a snide comment at Rasta.

Ultimately I was pointing out the attitude which seems so negative among the Soccer Mods and I will offer my opinion where I see fit, I do not need your permission Xavi.

That said I appreciate that you were defending a moderator who is under considerable pressure and I can find no fault in that other than I would prefer it if you did so without attacking me.

I'm serious, I can't see it! I can see legal threat=site ban. All I'm asking for is a link and not going back and forth. A 'disgrace'??? are you worked up again?

Lol not in the slightest. Resorting to calling someone 'useless' is petty and childish and something which IS a disgrace, especially when you don't see anything wrong with it.

Wow, until you said that I did not even realise that I was under considerable pressure. And the attitude that you are talking about me exhibiting has all occurred since the member you have accused me of being snide towards said that I am useless. Balanced? I think not.

The off topic thread has been re-opened. There will be some communication over the coming days about some changes to the rules for the OT thread and some changes to what content is okay.

Please keep an eye on the announcements for updates.

Indeed, so can I have a link because I still want to read it and can honestly not find it in the soccer form.

The off topic thread has been re-opened. There will be some communication over the coming days about some changes to the rules for the OT thread and some changes to what content is okay.

Please keep an eye on the announcements for updates.

Thankyou kindly!

• Advertisement

Wow, until you said that I did not even realise that I was under considerable pressure. And the attitude that you are talking about me exhibiting has all occurred since the member you have accused me of being snide towards said that I am useless. Balanced? I think not.

Perhaps pressure was the wrong word, though attack seems apt.

You would prove them wrong far more easily if you dropped the attitude and answered the comments of others calmly and without the hostility which seeps through your posts so far.

Also, I was unaware that I was required to offer a balanced view. I was giving my personal view and offering advice to you and the other Soccer Mods.

I am sure you'll say you don't need my advice and that is fine, perhaps you do not. Regardless I think this thread would be more constructive if it were conducted with a little more civility; whether that be by not calling Mods, who volunteer their time and for whom I have great respect, useless nor by answering those accusers with snide comments and veiled contempt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement