Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Datasets

• 12-11-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey all

I'm not sure if anyone can help me but Im hoping someone will be able to enlighten me.

I'm currently putting together a proposal for my applied psychology masters dissertation.

My supervisor suggested I go on-line and find a data-set, so that I have a more large scale study in the end.

Im doing my dissertation on body-image and body-modifications, I think.

Can anyone help as to where to look for data-sets on-line? I've had a look around but I dont have a clue where to start!

Hope someone can help!

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

I think it's extremely unlikely that you will find a complete dataset on this issue on the internet. Your best bet is to find published articles on the subject, which will be easily accessed through PubMed, JSTOR or similar sites. Researchers generally don't release their full datasets (although they should, especially if it's state-funded, IMO :pac:), instead presenting the condensed results in article form. You probably already have several examples form your lit review?

It would be a good idea to simply ask your supervisor what he/she means, exactly. Maybe a meta-analysis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭hotspur

It's pretty unusual for a supervisor to recommend doing a master's dissertation analysing secondary data especially since the nature of the data you would be looking at would be very specific to the issue and not conducive to secondary analysis i.e. such data wouldn't be collected for a cognate study so you would be merely replicating analysis.

I doubt you will find much that is relevant to your subject but you can search away, Googling data sets psychology brings up plenty of them.

What I would say though is that there is more than one form of methodology and the subject you are interested in is likely better studied with more qualitative methods because you don't have the resources to get enough participants of body modification for a more quantitative study.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nimi85

yeah, he definitly said he wanted me to do a secondary analysis of data. i reckon I'm going to end up doing a qualitative study instead now.

I have over a hundred published articles on and around the topic but he wants me to find a full data set.

Im meeting with him tomorrow, so thanks for all the help anyway! :p

N x

Advertisement