Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Remember Authur Archer used to travel on the 84

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

bido wrote: »
    Remember Authur Archer used to travel on the 84

The bus conductors and drivers used to look after him and made sure he always got home safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 EIGHTEENAGAIN

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    The bus conductors and drivers used to look after him and made sure he always got home safely.

Was it a branch of the Archer family who had a builders' supplies business off Church Lane ?

There was a big corrugated iron, Dutch barn type building next to Gusty Gorman's field at the Blacklion end of the Lane.

They used to make their own bulders' blocks in two wonderful machines that were left out on a night.

Marvellous contraptions they were ; all handles and levers and springs and a wheel. We used to play on them when everyone had gone home - making the blocks with any material that was left out

Was it a branch of the Archer family who had a builders' supplies business off Church Lane ?

There was a big corrugated iron, Dutch barn type building next to Gusty Gorman's field at the Blacklion end of the Lane.

They used to make their own bulders' blocks in two wonderful machines that were left out on a night.

Marvellous contraptions they were ; all handles and levers and springs and a wheel. We used to play on them when everyone had gone home - making the blocks with any material that was left out

That is Eric Archer's place, (a former President of Greystones Rugby Club) now the sons run it, Archers glasshouse. As far as I know they are no relation to the famous Arthur Archer of Rathdown road.
    Many a concrete block was made there in the past, as there was in the old schoolhouse yard just above there where Applewood Heights is. Gaughan and Mc Nulty made their own blocks for the houses built in the bog between Greystones Nursing home and the Centra (old Shell). Frank Gaughan and his wife owned the nursing home and lived in the gate lodge. Mrs Gaughan was the Matron in the Nursing Home.

That is Eric Archer's place, (a former President of Greystones Rugby Club) now the sons run it, Archers glasshouse. As far as I know they are no relation to the famous Arthur Archer of Rathdown road.
    Many a concrete block was made there in the past, as there was in the old schoolhouse yard just above there where Applewood Heights is. Gaughan and Mc Nulty made their own blocks for the houses built in the bog between Greystones Nursing home and the Centra (old Shell). Frank Gaughan and his wife owned the nursing home and lived in the gate lodge. Mrs Gaughan was the Matron in the Nursing Home.

On an entirely different note : Is there anyone who gets up early in the morning to look for money on the beach after a storm ?
    Tommy (Scraggs) Redmond and Danny Wark used to be the masters - they could spot a penny standing on edge at 100 yards, in their heyday.

Pixbyjohn ! Can anyone there in Greystones remember the wreck of mv Bolivar, when the North Beach was full of flotsam, including many barrels of lard, which found their way into half the houses in Redford and Blacklion. I think this was in the late Forties.
    The North Beach was a veritable treasure trove for beachcombers following a NorthEast storm - especially good quality timber - and there were always those round glass floats (usually green) that fishermen employed before the advent of synthetic gear. If you had one of those now it would be worth a few quid.

• Advertisement

Tommy (Scraggs) Redmond and Danny Wark used to be the masters - they could spot a penny standing on edge at 100 yards, in their heyday.

Pixbyjohn ! Can anyone there in Greystones remember the wreck of mv Bolivar, when the North Beach was full of flotsam, including many barrels of lard, which found their way into half the houses in Redford and Blacklion. I think this was in the late Forties.
    QUOTE]

Danny Wark, A giant of a gentleman, was he a pal of Tommy Moran and the racing greyhounds ? The people who would remember the mv Bolivar are few and far between now. And anyone who does remember are probably not computer users.
    I think the houses that were on the North beach in days gone by were eroded by the sea and the families were resettled in the cottages in Blacklion, between the corner going up to the church and the Esso.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I spoke to a chap the other day who lives down at Ballygannon. He says his Father remembers when they had a 10 acre field on the east side of the tracks !

Huntthe wrote: »
    I spoke to a chap the other day who lives down at Ballygannon. He says his Father remembers when they had a 10 acre field on the east side of the tracks !

I don't know about a field, but about a mile south of Ballygannon, and about 25 yards out from the beach at low water, is the wreck of the John Scott. She was lost there in the 1870s (no, I don't remember it personally), but she was some sort of a lugger or barque. I don't suppose there is any trace of the vessel itself, but the cargo of iron-ore will be there forever. Story has it that there was only one survivor, who was washed up on the South Beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Windgates

I remember Tono from Germany very well. He was friend of my older brother. On one occasion he caused a stir in the bus queue in the Main Street in Bray by pulling up in his big white car (was it a Merc?), jumping out, selecting my mother from the queue, ushing her into the back seat and putting her shopping delicately in the boot. He showed a supreme disregard for the traffic building up behind him. She was still talking about it years later, she always said she felt like a queen that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 coolagad

I don't know about a field, but about a mile south of Ballygannon, and about 25 yards out from the beach at low water, is the wreck of the John Scott. She was lost there in the 1870s (no, I don't remember it personally), but she was some sort of a lugger or barque. I don't suppose there is any trace of the vessel itself, but the cargo of iron-ore will be there forever. Story has it that there was only one survivor, who was washed up on the South Beach.

Jaysus lads your giving me great sport this Paddies night as I sit in 26c degrees of heat. Living away now and just googled Beachouse because of the craic we used to have in the bar on a Paddies night and found this thread.

Anyway I remember my Uncle (RIP) said you could see the back of the harbour wall from fields up at the gap bridge.

My father got a present of a goat when he was a kid and grazed it on the clay cliffs. On morning he went down to check and there was the goat hanging dead over the cliff still tethered by a rope anchored just beyond where the cliff had subsided in the night. Devastated he was.

• Advertisement

Windgates wrote: »
    I remember Tono from Germany very well. He was friend of my older brother. On one occasion he caused a stir in the bus queue in the Main Street in Bray by pulling up in his big white car (was it a Merc?), jumping out, selecting my mother from the queue, ushing her into the back seat and putting her shopping delicately in the boot. He showed a supreme disregard for the traffic building up behind him. She was still talking about it years later, she always said she felt like a queen that day!

Did that chap fish ? I might remember him.

Huntthe wrote: »
    Did that chap fish ? I might remember him.

yep, he had a trawler in the harbour. him and tommy greally snr were the only trawler men for a long while out of there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 drkfgk

Hi there,
    I read your post last evening..I spent my summers at LaTouche from about 1967-1978. What a wonderful place. I wish they would restore the hotel back to how it was..I will look for some photos....If anyone knows anyone who worked there during that time I would enjoy contacting them...The staff was like a second family to me!!:)

coolagad wrote: »
    yep, he had a trawler in the harbour. him and tommy greally snr were the only trawler men for a long while out of there

It was a Merc he drove alright, thought he was from Luxembourg, same difference maybe ;)

Farewell Wiggy, a gentleman. R.I.P.

A good send off today, for a good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wicklah

Which wiggy is this, I know a young enough wiggy < 30 say? Has he passed away?

Farewell Wiggy, a gentleman. R.I.P.

Heard that, wiggy still spoke like billy connelly even though he'd been in Ireland for yonks! Condolences to his family and the extented Moran family

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I smell a Dunphy here :)
    one of Donnie's younger brothers - the one who had to follow him off the back wall in the mens - but refused the harbour wall when he tore his legs off... And you were right - Patch was an amazing dog.

Don't forget as well
    > seafront - used to be 2 way reduced to 1 way during the Summer months
    > the weird open loo in the train station, one way to make you feel like a cow
    > Flynn's - miss that shop by the cinema
    > Circus moving to where the Health Center is now
    > Walking or hanging on the harbour wall during the storms
    > Bloke being pushed off the harbour to the scream - he can't swim; rescued by C. Ryle I think, not that I pushed him - honest
    > David's - first co-ed after segregated primary and being tongue tied around the girl you liked the most - never did get the guts to tell her, just used to make faces and copy her etches of U2 :)
    > Being on the David's soccer team that got trounced 11-0 on it's second and final game - that's what happens when your training session is mainly spent praying - mentioning no names here
    > Rope slide in La Touche park - brilliant until it snapped and dumped someone on a hidden bumper
    > Top field near Blacklion - great for blackberry's and hideouts as kids
    > La Touch park in the snow - watch out for those door-bells & the eggs
    > Great snowfall of the 80s - think everyone must have had a spill on the golf course
    > Man I really miss the board at the men's
    Hey who was that bloke that dived off at low tide in a wet suit and snorkel and mask - hit his head and came up with the eternal quote "There's something hard down there"
    > Donny only got so good with the eggs as he had younger brothers to practise on :) - we in turn got good at dodging

The Turnpike....handy for a trip home for lunch or a holding hands session with your latest missus....the lane down to Castle Clare nursing home...for a bit of the other maybe....

Pascal down the old Shell Station.....gentleman

Sandra O'Neill on the New Road.......maybe I'm on my own on that one...the nicest looking red head in the country.....well in John Galvin....

Donncha McGowan (Smith) on Rathdown Road,the only man who could throw an egg ~200 yards at Halloween time,and still hit his target....

String Wynn.....

The Moodys on Rathdown Hill....

If I had a penny (cent) for every character I knew in Greystones....

Joe Sweeneys for Pac Man and Defender....Ronan's current wife was a beauty back then...well in Ronan Sweeney...

Johnny McGrain doing the horse commentry in where Danns is now....part of The Old Beach House...

I think Jerry Fallon always asked us when we were coming down to start playing rugby...gas,his daughter and the Irish Dancing....brilliant...

My four legged Legend 'Patch',the Lynch's dog 'Bite', the most placid animal...Lord Have Mercy on Philip 'Flea' Lynch....

The Greens of Crowe Abbey.....all True Legends.....

Mick McGowan with the tartan threads and Doctor martin boots in Saint Davids.....70's,when punk rock was doing the rounds....

The Vickers,The Broughans and The Monaghans.....Animal Lennon.....Noel Scully....all Legends....

I feel a reunion coming on.......

Saturday 20th in the Beach House......anyone game ball....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

Was thinking of this today or at least failing to think of this. The shopping area between Frank Clarke and the Hungry Monk, where the royal Park and Book shop are, what was there before that was built? I have no memory of the location before it went up. Keep thinking it was the kennels but weren't they in the spot now occupied by Super Value? A picture would be great if anyone has one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

sagat wrote: »
    Was thinking of this today or at least failing to think of this. The shopping area between Frank Clarke and the Hungry Monk, where the royal Park and Book shop are, what was there before that was built? I have no memory of the location before it went up. Keep thinking it was the kennels but weren't they in the spot now occupied by Super Value? A picture would be great if anyone has one.
    The fish factory wasnt it?
    God I remember the smell!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Claymation

The name of the fish factory (although everyone just called it the fish factory) was Irfish.

Not a great smell alright.

Think the fish factory was behind Frank Clarkes. I think he means the other side of the road. I'm trying to remember.....

Was it where the Northern bank was in a house occupied by the Hogan family ? Next to Hogans was Robbie's house and then Ross Buckley's place which was next to Hills garage as far as I can remember

Does anyone remember the Tontine Club ? It was before the Thrift Club.
    Locals used to save a few bob in it and take it out at Christmas time. Mick Darcy was one of the committee members. Local Boards members might ask their parents or grandparents for some info on it.

Does anyone remember the Tontine Club ? It was before the Thrift Club.
    Locals used to save a few bob in it and take it out at Christmas time. Mick Darcy was one of the committee members. Local Boards members might ask their parents or grandparents for some info on it.

yep, think a version of it is still going on. Maybe its on Bray but I give money to a relation and get the savings back at christmas and she calls it the Tontine!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D7

Who will admit to taking up a dare to get their Hair Cut in "Frank Clark's"!!!!!:D

Who can remember Disco's at the .............wait for it............the Sailing Club ;)!!!!!

D7 wrote: »
    Who can remember Disco's at the .............wait for it............the Sailing Club ;)!!!!!

Do you remember the Disco in the Tennis Club opposite the La Touche Hotel ?( the Scout Hall now )

• Advertisement

Oh Yes, and the idle summer times in Sweeneys (by the Harbour) when...................wait for it ...........new technology arrived ..................in the form of ......................................Asteriods and Space Invaders.

Disco's also in Cabana's by the Woodlands!

Shocked recently to see the Delgany Inn..............Closed!!:confused:

Advertisement