Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

D7 wrote: »
    Who will admit to taking up a dare to get their Hair Cut in "Frank Clark's"!!!!!:D

Don't think there was any other option when I was a kid...ah sure grand job for 2 pound. Always wondered about that little door up the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Do you remember the Disco in the Tennis Club opposite the La Touche Hotel ?( the Scout Hall now )

They were able to fit a disco in that space? From what I remember the building consisted of male and female changing rooms with about a 40 square foot room between them part of which was the club shop. Surely you couldn't fit more than 20 people in there? Unless it was bigger than I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 coolagad

sagat wrote: »
    They were able to fit a disco in that space? From what I remember the building consisted of male and female changing rooms with about a 40 square foot room between them part of which was the club shop. Surely you couldn't fit more than 20 people in there? Unless it was bigger than I remember.

well there was discos in both the tennis club and the sailing club. what about the original P&Rs in Kilians Hall. They were sometimes called the spanish discos because the original spanish students used to go to them. and then there was a disco in St Patricks hall. And St Davids used to have a school disco every now and then. And the daddy of all the teenage disco's in that time was Pres!!

P&R moved to the Woodlands and then to the Rugby club where it fizzled out because kids prefered to stay drinking in the field instead of going to the disco!! thats when the huts started and Bulmers 2 litres ruled!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 amy559

Is that true about the murder in Greystones on the Killincarrig in the house above Ireton/Natures Gold? I couldnt find anything about it online at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Yes it is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Ah - Fantastic thread - took me a while to read it!

Grew up in Greystones in the 70s/80s

Snotser, Cahill, Begley in the CBS, they'd never get away with it now!

I remember one lad was caught pissing on the floor of the classroom Jacks (don't know how he was caught!). He was made push a rubber around the whole toilet floor with his nose on his hand and knees. Another lad, [name removed] put his head out the window and pinned it down with the window pane. Then opened the top part and poured a bucket of water over his head!

Yep, fights in the lane behind the school. The donkeys in the field opposite Roaches chemist. Shortcut to quinnsworth through the school and into Oaklands park. The snow on the 13th. Lads flying down it in a car bonnet. God help anyone who got in the way.

The mens by the beach. Dont know how one of us wasn't killed! The high spot, the shelter, the blue, the board. Who said you wouldn't see it in Mexico? I remember four of us were messing on the board in the middle of winter. We all fell in, Parka Jackets, Docks and all!!

Ah, its all coming back!!

SBB ina Shui? Definitely Dunphy!!

arctictree wrote: »
    Ah - Fantastic thread - took me a while to read it!

Grew up in Greystones in the 70s/80s

Snotser, Cahill, Begley in the CBS, they'd never get away with it now!

I remember one lad was caught pissing on the floor of the classroom Jacks (don't know how he was caught!). He was made push a rubber around the whole toilet floor with his nose on his hand and knees. Another lad, [name removed] put his head out the window and pinned it down with the window pane. Then opened the top part and poured a bucket of water over his head!

Yep, fights in the lane behind the school. The donkeys in the field opposite Roaches chemist. Shortcut to quinnsworth through the school and into Oaklands park. The snow on the 13th. Lads flying down it in a car bonnet. God help anyone who got in the way.

The mens by the beach. Dont know how one of us wasn't killed! The high spot, the shelter, the blue, the board. Who said you wouldn't see it in Mexico? I remember four of us were messing on the board in the middle of winter. We all fell in, Parka Jackets, Docks and all!!

Ah, its all coming back!!

SBB ina Shui? Definitely Dunphy!!

the car bonnet on the golf in the snow is actually a bit of a greystones version of " i was at woodstock or the GPO in 1916" very few people actually seen it happen. now if you could name the guys/family that were on the car bonnet then you'd could claim you were really there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

coolagad wrote: »
    the car bonnet on the golf in the snow is actually a bit of a greystones version of " i was at woodstock or the GPO in 1916" very few people actually seen it happen. now if you could name the guys/family that were on the car bonnet then you'd could claim you were really there!
    Half of Grattan Park from what I remember !

Joliegood wrote: »
    Half of Grattan Park from what I remember !

and the other half were Crow Abbey:D

Does anyone remember what type of car Father (Canon ) Fennelly drove ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 EIGHTEENAGAIN

I think it was an A40 - a black one like Pat Darcy's. Charlie Evans in the garage had one as well, but his was flashy - maroon.
    Thinking about the good Father, he used to have a go at the people - old men, mostly - who always came into Mass at the last minute, and stayed at the back of the church ;
    " look at them down there, standing and kneeling on one knee like a herd of yaks. Yaks ! come up to the front, and honour God, like good Catholics"
    Very occasionally, he used to say a Mass in Blacklion on a Sunday, and you could almost hear the collective groan from the congregation when he appeared on the altar. A long sermon and a tongue-lashing for some offence that had riled him, was sure to follow.
    One of the many bitchy things he did was when there was the yearly collection for 'priests of the parish', it couldn't be done anonymously. Each house had a named envelope in which the donation was placed on the plate. When the takings were counted, a list of every name with the amount was read out from the altar, so that everyone knew who was poor or greedy or ostentatious - Mr J * five shillings, Mr ** half-a-crown, Mr P*** five pounds. And of course, missing names told their own story.

Farewell Mortise ( David Morris ) 1956-29/07/2009 R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

Farewell Mortise ( David Morris ) 1956-29/07/2009 R.I.P.

it was good to see such a good turn out at the funeral a fine tribute to a sound man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Anymore off topic rubbish about Gordon will be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 a parker

Wiggy.famed for scoring both Greystones AFC goals in their 2-0 win in the Jubilee Cup Final v. Wicklow Rovers in the Carlisle Ground in 1981.
    Stones team on the day was 1. Jody Smith 2.Christy Davitt 3.Basil Lawless 4.Mick Whelan 5.Liam Whiston 6.Brian Smith 7.Tommy Cardiff 8.Colm Gaskin 9.John (Wiggy ) McFaul 10.Colm Ward 11.Johnny Groome 12. Andy Fitzgerald. Manager Willie Wall Asst Manager Bernard Byrne.

a parker wrote: »
    Wiggy.famed for scoring both Greystones AFC goals in their 2-0 win in the Jubilee Cup Final v. Wicklow Rovers in the Carlisle Ground in 1981.
    Stones team on the day was 1. Jody Smith 2.Christy Davitt 3.Basil Lawless 4.Mick Whelan 5.Liam Whiston 6.Brian Smith 7.Tommy Cardiff 8.Colm Gaskin 9.John (Wiggy ) McFaul 10.Colm Ward 11.Johnny Groome 12. Andy Fitzgerald. Manager Willie Wall Asst Manager Bernard Byrne.

Now name the year and the players and Manager that won the Jubilee Cup for Orchard Utd. That famous team that were based in the Orchard Inn pub in Killincarrig.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Manager Vincent Byrne

Huntthe wrote: »
    Manager Vincent Byrne

Vincent was manager of the Orchard Inn pub, not of the football team.
    He was Chairman of Orchard United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

I recently saw a reference to their being Cricket grounds in Greystones once upon a time, anyone know where they would have been?

As far as I can recall the cricket ground was on the Killincarrig side of the present Rugby Club building. Originally the Rugby club were housed in a galvanised and timber building on the Greystones side of what is now the car park. I could be wrong but its in my minds eye that it was there.
    As an aside the old Greystones Golf Club Pavilion was a cricket Club building which was disassembled in the UK (maybe the Isle of Man) somewhere and rebuilt near where the 8th green is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

As an aside the old Greystones Golf Club Pavilion was a cricket Club building which was disassembled in the UK (maybe the Isle of Man) somewhere and rebuilt near where the 8th green is now.

I heard that story about the golf clubhouse from my dad (who is a long-time member of the club) but have subsequently been told its untrue and the pavilion was actually built in-situ.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I heard that story about the golf clubhouse from my dad (who is a long-time member of the club) but have subsequently been told its untrue and the pavilion was actually built in-situ.

Yes your latter info is true, I checked with the Club this week and was told according to their records that the old clubhouse was actually built on site at Greystones.

John,

We have consulted our centenary book and some of our long standing members,

The old clubhouse was designed and built in Greystones, it did resemble a cricket

Pavilion but was not reassembled from a UK club.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Claire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I remember it.
    It got fairly spooky looking before they knocked it down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

sagat wrote: »
    I recently saw a reference to their being Cricket grounds in Greystones once upon a time, anyone know where they would have been?

The only cricket I know of was played on Rugby Club grounds at Farrankelly.

Which I believe has Eden Gate on it now....

Greystones GAA in the past
    From this website http://www.greystonesgaa.com/history.html
    In 1947 Greystones lost to Donard in the final, Paudge Brennan, TD, refereed the match, and in 1949 they won the Junior Championship Beating Dunlavin in Bray. The team was: Frankie Ward, John Barry, Garret Glynn, Mick Darcy, Jimmy Doyle, Tom Swan, Martin Commons, Matt Murphy, Jimmy Kavanagh, Sean Doyle, Eddie Earl, Bill Mooney, Donie Doyle, Hugh Mooney and Des Mitchell. They then went to intermediate stage and got to the final with Blessington who beat them by one pint.
    In 1956 Greystones had a great double win in the Junior Hurling Championship and the Junior Football ‘B’ Championship. In late December of that year they beat Rathnew in the Junior Hurling final with the following team: N. Foley, Declan Clarke, Davy Fox, Jimmy Whiston, S. Dowling, Henry O’Kelly, Maurice Scully, Tommy Bolger, J. Doyle, Kevan O’Kelly, T. Corrigan, L. McNamara, E. O’Brien, Andy Byrne and D. Flahertty.

After beating Annacurra in the semi-final of the Junior Football Championship in November, Greystones went on to win the ;B; title when beating Donard. Twelve of the players also associated with the hurling win. Tommy Bolger, Dave O’Connor, Davy Fox, Jimmy Whiston, Jimmy O’Toole, Henry, Paddy and Devan O’Kelly, Eddie and Willie Earls, Andy and John Byrne, John Gregory, Declan Clarke, J. O’Keefe, J. Doyle and Des Mitchell were involved in the football campaign.

In 1965 Greystones beat Hollywood in Ashford, Now at that time there were no ‘super subs’, but Greystones had one that day. With only minutes to go Hollywood lead by one point and Greystones fielded their sub Ricky Kirwan who got two great points which took them to the final with Annacurra. The same Ricky Kirwan scored 4 goals and 1 point and with the help of 14 other great players Greystones won the Championship.

They were the first team to win the well-known Swan Cup which at that time was the Championship Cub, (now you have to beat the Junior ‘B’ Champions after winning the ‘A’ Championship). Greystones also won the Schweppes Cup that year. The team that year was: John Byrne, Mick Carroll, John Connolly, Eugene Barry, Ray Barry, Shay Kinsella, Andy Byrne, Davy Fox, Ed. McKenzie, Rickey Kirwan, Jimmy Brady, Jimmy O’Toole, Paddy Whiston, Fran McGowan and Peter O’Neill. After winning the Championship the club did not fare too well for some time and did not win many games. Payers like Pa Redmond, Ray Barry, Shay Kinsella, Andy Byrne, John Byrne and a few more kept the club going but Eugene Barry left for Canada.

In the 1970’s Des Mitchell, Ray Barry and Tom Swan often had difficulty in getting out tams. There were times when Des Mitchell, Eugene Kirby and a few others had to play in order to make a team. Greystones very seldom gave walk-overs. Then along came some other players and many times we got to finals with our great friends, Kilcoole and Kilmacanogue.

In 1978 Greystones won the Junior League. In 1981 Kilmacanogue beat Greystones after a replay in the Championship semi-final. Greystones beat Kilmacanogue in Kilcoole and won the Championship (Swan Cup) in 1982 beating Baltinglass in Roundwood. They also beat Kilmacanogue in the Junior League with the same team: Peter O’Neill, Pa Redmond, Ray Barry, Paul Sutton, Garry Cambell, John Commons, Dermot Smullen, Seamus Whooley, Martin Mulford, Mick Kendrich (captain), Mossie Gaskin, Peter Dean, Paul Hayden, Bamber Gaskin, Jimmie Gilbert, P.J. Vickers, John Traynor, Niall Molloy and D. O’Toole, all local lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

That same team went on to win the Intermediate Championship in 1985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

buying sweets in Flynn's yummy

and ClubLife ha it was like an episode of Father Ted how you would know every single person there

Who remembers where "Mulligan's Mansions" are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

What an amazing thread. We left when I was seven years old so my memories are fuzzy. I vividly remember old Mrs.Burnaby, who lived in the Big house (which later became the golf club?) at the end of Whitshed Road. She was a great big (to me anyway) cheerful american woman who told stories about cowboys and indians and growing up in the US.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What an amazing thread. We left when I was seven years old so my memories are fuzzy. I vividly remember old Mrs.Burnaby, who lived in the Big house (which later became the golf club?) at the end of Whitshed Road. She was a great big (to me anyway) cheerful american woman who told stories about cowboys and indians and growing up in the US.

And do you remember her son building a concrete yacht in the farm yard, What a sight for us and we used to go and see its progress every week. He floated it in Dun Laoghaire.

Advertisement