Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls doing the asking?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

After reading this thread, I'm gonna take the bull by the horn and ask the guy I kissed on Saturday out (not this instant mind)!

Go for it, you'll make his day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

and ask the guy I kissed on Saturday out (not this instant mind)! He suggested we meet for drinks midweek sometime, but I'm sick (which he knows about), !

You've got the MANFLU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

After reading this thread, I'm gonna take the bull by the horns and ask the guy I kissed on Saturday out

Excellent, the thread is working:D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

Well hopefully it works....otherwise I can definitely see myself crawling into a corner and never resurfacing!
    Ah no, I've known him for a good few years and there's absolutely no harm in suggesting a nice civilised date! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Casey ca wrote: »
    I once told a random stranger that he was the hottest guy that i had ever seen. He thanked me, kissed me on the cheek and then his girlfriend (a 6ft blonde) came back. Never had the courage since then!

Get the courage! Life is too short, and it's not as if he was an a$$hole about it.

Personally I'm kinda nervous about asking out girls, the fear of rejection thing, but when I feel confident about my chances (or a wee bit drunk!) i've no problems with it. I do really like being asked out/randomly molested by hot ladies though!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

No, because I'm suspicious of strangers unless I have a good reason to be talking to them or I'm in a group.

Oh and I'd never agree to go on a date with someone I'd never met before and just came up and asked me out in a pub/club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

g'em wrote: »
    Wow. That makes me feel so... shit frankly :o

Well look at it this way; all the lads who were that attracted to you were probably kept waiting because you were dating these guys who you had asked out.;)
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    The thing is just because a guy has actually been the one to propose a date that doesn't mean the girl has not taken part in the process.

A girl can make a lot of eye contact, smile, put her self in close proximity to the guy or repeat close proximity or if she sees he is interested makes a break away form the group she is with so she is easier to approach, or makes a point of passing close to him and smiling or even turning up in the same place to give him an opening then she is part of the process.

It's not seen as direct action but all of the above are actions none the less to give a person an opening to approach her and start a converstaion so that he may ask her out or get her number.
    So basically they're refusing to come out and ask because their interest in the lad is so little that the fear of being rejected and it's impact on their social standing carries a heavier weight to them? Very flattering that...
    diane747 wrote: »
    sometimes you can have good eye contact, but the bloak is very shy.
    Or thick, pre-occupied, didn't actually notice, is short sighted/cross-eyed, figured you were making eyes at the lad behind/beside him, etc..., there are many possible reasons.

After reading this thread, I'm gonna take the bull by the horns and ask the guy I kissed on Saturday out (not this instant mind)! He suggested we meet for drinks midweek sometime, but I'm sick (which he knows about), so maybe next week!! And I will surely report back here to say whether or not it was a success!
    Good luck, hopefully it'll either go in your favour or at least help you realise there's not much to lose really by doing the asking so you can pipe up the next time a lad catches your fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

My crippling shyness and complete life inexperience means I hope everyday for a girl to approach me instead of forcing me to develop working testicles and do it myself. That's why it's almost a comfort when I hear women saying stuff like "I would never ask a man out" or the likes, so then it's easier for the likes of me to think "Ohhhh! So THAT'S why I'm alone and stuff. It's all so clear now!" I'm only after realising this. Hmmmm....I better do some serious thinking.
    After reading this thread, I'm gonna take the bull by the horns and ask the guy I kissed on Saturday out (not this instant mind)! He suggested we meet for drinks midweek sometime, but I'm sick (which he knows about), so maybe next week!! And I will surely report back here to say whether or not it was a success!

You should, life's too short. I know this becuase I observe others living it keenly and they seem to be having a wonderful time.

Well hopefully it works....otherwise I can definitely see myself crawling into a corner and never resurfacing!
    Ah no, I've known him for a good few years and there's absolutely no harm in suggesting a nice civilised date! :)
    I got asked out - its really nice and is going well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

farohar wrote: »
    So basically they're refusing to come out and ask because their interest in the lad is so little that the fear of being rejected and it's impact on their social standing carries a heavier weight to them? Very flattering that...

Most people are sheep and do not want to be the different one or the weird one, the forward one, the one who 'acts' like a bloke...
    Or thick, pre-occupied, didn't actually notice, is short sighted/cross-eyed, figured you were making eyes at the lad behind/beside him, etc..., there are many possible reasons.

yup that happens a lot to blokes, I found being up front and honest either works or doesn't and you know where you stand fairly quickly.

Good luck, hopefully it'll either go in your favour or at least help you realise there's not much to lose really by doing the asking so you can pipe up the next time a lad catches your fancy.

Loosing face is a bigger deal to most people then they would ever admit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

A woman asked me out once and it was a great feeling as I had lost my confidence after two bad experiences of asking girls out.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

My crippling shyness and complete life inexperience means I hope everyday for a girl to approach me instead of forcing me to develop working testicles and do it myself.

Dude do yourself a favour, take a deep breath, exhale and let those boys drop. It'll feel much more comfortable. /end of male pep talk intruding on lady matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

i'd be way to scared to ask a guy out. :( Mad fear of rejection and all that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Best of luck, honestly the worst he can do is say no :) best case scenario you go out, have a great time, etc etc :D
    Censorsh!t wrote: »
    i'd be way to scared to ask a guy out. :( Mad fear of rejection and all that

Hey try it just once even :) Worst case scenario? He'll say no and you'll know how every guy who has ever asked you out feels, butterflies in tummy, fear of rejection and all.

If he says yes, you'll feel great, and he'll appreciate it most likely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

The last 3 girls I was with all were the ones that made the initial approach. I am by no means some prolific lothario at all, far from it in fact. I really appreciate when a girl is straightforward with me, be it rejection or whatever. I hate mind games and playing by the "rules". My standard position on women is that unless I am really into them I won't bother trying anything. I am not trying to court controversy but I find most women disinteresting in romantic terms to say the least, my fussiness is beyond notoriety. I am not out for the perfect girl it's just my quirk.

Funniest thing with me lately is I was out on Tuesday and ended up being seduced by a 28 yo 5'11" girl who has done some modeling. Now this had me lolling pretty fecking hard for the next 2 days as I'm a 9.5 stone 5'7" 22 year old lad of jockey like physique and by no means the next Jared Leto. Now we didn't go too mad in the end as my affections lay elsewhere (honest to god truth) and she ceased to go out with my cousin as of the previous week so it was probably not the best scenario to start with. Needless to say there was beer involved

coillcam wrote: »
    I'm by no means the next Jared Leto.

Jared Leto isn't even the next Jared Leto. Should have gone for the safety in Brad Pitt, the EMO thing is just too... spazzy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The thing is just because a guy has actually been the one to propose a date that doesn't mean the girl has not taken part in the process.

A girl can make a lot of eye contact, smile, put her self in close proximity to the guy or repeat close proximity or if she sees he is interested makes a break away form the group she is with so she is easier to approach, or makes a point of passing close to him and smiling or even turning up in the same place to give him an opening then she is part of the process.

It's not seen as direct action but all of the above are actions none the less to give a person an opening to approach her and start a converstaion so that he may ask her out or get her number.

I agree. A decade or so ago I dated 'The Hottest Girl in the Office' for a while. The dalliance began when I came into work one day and found the only free cubicle was next to her. I made sure to use the time between calls to get talking to her and I felt like King of the Hill when I a few days later my (very subtle) seduction techniques actually yeilded results.:pac:

However I found out a couple of months later that she had already taken a shine to me and had engineered the whole office so that the only free seat was next to her!

She didn't do the asking but chances are it wouldn't have happened without her as I was a gutless wonder back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Jared Leto isn't even the next Jared Leto. Should have gone for the safety in Brad Pitt, the EMO thing is just too... spazzy:D

Ah it's just a mate of mine was gushing about him there a few weeks back so I thought he must be flavour of the month.

coillcam wrote: »
    Ah it's just a mate of mine was gushing about him there a few weeks back so I thought he must be flavour of the month.

Could very well be, I don't tend to fancy blokes now myself but like to hope that he's fallen out of favour with women for his useless EMO crap and look. I couldn't go out with a girl who loved him, haha

Moonbaby wrote: »
    No because I like to know that my dates own a pair of testicles.

I heard your soulmate say the same thing, that's why you're both alone! :pac:

Why wouldn't a girl go after a guy she likes? This is 2008! LIVE A LITTLE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Just thought i'd create a thead about this. I'm a shy guy and keep hearing the same old thing "does you no favors in life to be shy in life" especially when it comes to women.

So the question I have is on a night out do the majority of women wait/want a guy to make he first move? break the ice, etc.

Since this is the ladies lounge what better place to ask :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

whatsamsn wrote: »
    So the question I have is on a night out do the majority of women wait/want a guy to make he first move? break the ice, etc.
    Depends on what you mean by making the first move? Who first looks with that LOOK, or smiles that SMILE, that says you're interested in a subtle way. If they return the signal, then someone has to make the next move. If this occurs in a pub or club, forget me doing it! No way! Not in that kind of scene, known to be pickup joints. Could send the wrong message... I'm definitely not into one-night stands!

But if in a coffee house or classroom or someplace without the meat market reputation, then sure, I might chat some lad up making the first move. Of course, in those settings I can talk about anything, without commitment or risk, and if I like the lad and they like me, then things might progress from there. A lad can do the same...

I heard your soulmate say the same thing, that's why you're both alone! :pac:

Why wouldn't a girl go after a guy she likes? This is 2008! LIVE A LITTLE!

I'm not attracted to people who don't have the balls to put themselves out there.
    I can't imagine anything worse than living your life with a coward.
    Looking for the guy to make a move is a basic sorting process for me....It has nothing to do with a fear of rejection on my part.

I've been a ginger kid.....I'm rejection proofed at this stage. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I can't imagine anything worse than living your life with a coward.

I don't think someone who is shy is a coward.

Not automatically a coward.
    But if you use your shyness as an excuse to hold you back then that is cowardly behavior.

I'm quite a shy person myself. So there is no hate on my part.

shyness if you fancy someone is allowed - so it takes guts to ask them out.

But if you use your shyness as an excuse to hold you back then that is cowardly behavior.

I disagree. By your definition, about half the population are cowards because they wait for the other half to do the asking.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I disagree. By your definition, about half the population are cowards because they wait for the other half to do the asking.

No that would depend on how much they want to ask the question, and the reason why they aren't asking it.

Did your missus ask you out? You are the couple who met when your partners had an affair right?

No that would depend on how much they want to ask the question, and the reason why they aren't asking it.

Did your missus ask you out? You are the couple who met when your partners had an affair right?
    moonbaby - nothing shy about you from that post

• Advertisement

Agreed. Then there should be no significant difference in who's doing the asking, gender wise.
    Did your missus ask you out? You are the couple
    who met when your partners had an affair right?

And this has to do with what, exactly?

Advertisement