Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can you drive on a provisional licence?

• 12-11-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, just wondering if anyone knows what bikes can/can't be rode on a provisional licence. I know this area is a bit grey, but are there any 'accepted' bikes and others that are not?

At the moment, I'm driving a Yamaha FZR 250 and I'm waiting to do my test. I'm thinking of getting a new bike (possibly a 600) and wondered if it's allowed. Would love to have an R6, but do I need to wait for a full licence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

wb wrote: »
    Hi Folks, just wondering if anyone knows what bikes can/can't be rode on a provisional licence. I know this area is a bit grey, but are there any 'accepted' bikes and others that are not?

At the moment, I'm driving a Yamaha FZR 250 and I'm waiting to do my test. I'm thinking of getting a new bike (possibly a 600) and wondered if it's allowed. Would love to have an R6, but do I need to wait for a full licence?

You can drive any bike as long as it's restricted to the 33bhp or falls under to power/weight ratio. Although some people say it has to follow both of these conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Less than 125cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    You can drive any bike as long as it's restricted to the 33bhp or falls under to power/weight ratio. Although some people say it has to follow both of these conditions

How do I know what bikes fall under the ratio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

How do I know what bikes fall under the ratio?

If you have provisional A1 you can ride anything upto 125cc or 11kw
    If you have provisional A you can ride anything 33bhp/33bhp or 0.16kw/kg

What bike ya hoping to get and I might no if ya need it restricted or not.
    Has to be factory restriction for Aon to accept it also.

Oops my bad just seen ya interested in an R6, as far as I know you cant get them factory resstricted, Im not definate on that though. You can get a gsxr anyways factory restricted and drive that on provisional and do your test on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

seanybiker wrote: »
    If you have provisional A1 you can ride anything upto 125cc or 11kw
    If you have provisional A you can ride anything 33bhp/33bhp or 0.16kw/kg

What bike ya hoping to get and I might no if ya need it restricted or not.
    Has to be factory restriction for Aon to accept it also.

Would an R6 be dreaming?

• Advertisement

Would an R6 be dreaming?

Sorry just edited me post there.
    If the R6 dont come factory restricted you might be able to get insured by quinn, they will charge for full power as they dont take restriction into account. Then just get the R6 shop restricted just to satisfy your license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Al C

While on your Provisional you can ride any bike with a power output under 33 bhp. If the bike normally makes more power than that (and all 600cc bikes do!) it'd have to be restricted down to 33bhp. The power to weight ratio thing is a real grey area in the law, and not one i'd like to have to argue with a member of the force... It only really applies to big heavy crusiers though (harleys, dragstars and the like) so if you've your eyes on an R6 or anything else even remotely sporty forget it.

And now for the real sting in the tail. Your restriction doesn't dissappear when you pass your test, you've gotta wait a further two years for it to go away...

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Less than 125cc

Not true. There are many bikes which fall under the power/weight limit. My current bike is a 1600cc and it's learner legal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

As said above anything 33bhp or below,but what you really want to know is what choice do you have of bikes below this,i would suggest you have a look on biker.ie website and join it,there is some great info on bike related stuff,and if you do a search on it you will get all the info you want.I seem to recall somebody posting a list of the bikes you can drive on a provo at some stage.NB if you join the site and want to ask a question,dont 4get to introduce yourself first,or you will be slated..god luck

Oh jaysus I'd rather go to Irishbikerforum.com meself. That muppet on biker.ie is a head wrecker. Stick ya in buswald cos he gone power mad.

• Advertisement

Not true. There are many bikes which fall under the power/weight limit. My current bike is a 1600cc and it's learner legal.
    What is it???????

seanybiker wrote: »
    Oh jaysus I'd rather go to Irishbikerforum.com meself. That muppet on biker.ie is a head wrecker. Stick ya in buswald cos he gone power mad.
    Yea but he only wants some info,,,

thetyreman wrote: »
    Yea but he only wants some info,,,

ah yeah suppose so.

What is it???????

Big ass cruiser, a yamaha xv1600 roadstar. Very heavy,not really powerful and learner legal.

Big ass cruiser, a yamaha xv1600 roadstar. Very heavy,not really powerful and learner legal.

Nice bike. Hope ya took the baffles out :eek::eek:

A Wildstar yea

A Wildstar yea

Yup, yank import. Savage sound out of it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Quinn are handy alright, they don't look for restriction and only offer reduction if its a serious restriction being done.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Quinn are handy alright, they don't look for restriction and only offer reduction if its a serious restriction being done.
    Yea and walk away when/if anything happens......

Its always such a grey area, do insurers walk away if you don't have l plates up or aren't wearing your seat belt etc or on your own as a learner in a car?

My problem with restricting is getting the bike to someone to restrict it, no one will ride it in or get a trailer so its catch 22!

• Advertisement

Its always such a grey area, do insurers walk away if you don't have l plates up or aren't wearing your seat belt etc or on your own as a learner in a car?

My problem with restricting is getting the bike to someone to restrict it, no one will ride it in or get a trailer so its catch 22!
    Quinn will insure you on a full powered bike,and not look to see your licence(that its a provisional or has the 2yr restristion on it)and then if anything happens will walk.Its not the insurance companys that insist on the restriction,its the Law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

lol, sure the fzr250 (presuming unrestricted) aint learner legal <.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Chatterbeast

The bike has to be 33hp to be driven on a provisional.....it DOES NOT go by the C.C. of the bike! A Bros400 for example is 33hp so is learner legal. Personally, I drove a ZX6R on a provisional. Quinn never asked if it was restricted, i never told them it wasn't!

If you want to be law abiding....a Hornet600 or Bandit600 can be restricted and driven on a provisional. Don't know about an R6 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Hornet600 or Bandit600 can be restricted and driven on a provisional. .

As said above these bikes can be restricted as can every other bike in the world.

if you already drive a fzr250 and have insurance for more than 6 months you will get insurance on any bike, its your problem to make sure its only 33bhp / weight.

your best bet is to get a factory restricted bike, there are a few of them

Bandit
    Fazer
    GSXR

they cost a little more but they are guaranteed legal (unless you tamper with them :rolleyes: )

Because they come learner legal from the factory they save you money on insurance .

and get some rider training from a qualified instructor who can issue graded certs makes a big difference on insurance prices.

LB

i found quotes with training received were pittens less than quotes with no training compared with the price of training to be honest

i found quotes with training received were pittens less than quotes with no training compared with the price of training to be honest

That depends on how long your driving, if its your first few years it makes a differance, and it is still worth doing training it may save your life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

That depends on how long your driving,

Depends on the training too. I got the 30% discount from my RoSPA applied after driving only 18 months (6 on a full licence).

nereid wrote: »
    Depends on the training too. I got the 30% discount from my RoSPA applied after driving only 18 months (6 on a full licence).

Exactly if you get a grade 2 it saves 30% so if your in your first few years driving it makes a big difference

I am a first provisional with no no-claims bonus etc and 395 is my quote on a cb400 so precentage of that off was verysmall compared to the cost. Don't get me wrong, training is a good idea but lined up a friend who is an experienced biker willing to spend some time with me on dos and don'ts.

• Advertisement

thats a good quote thedriver. That fully comp or what.

Advertisement