Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can you drive on a provisional licence?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Third Party only, comp was about 750 I think but bike isn't worth it, 3rd party will do me just fine to get on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've just sent off for my provisional, and I think I'm going to go down the scooter route.

Would most scooters be learner legal? I would be looking for a decent sized one as I'm big enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JoeJC

http://www.magireland.org/33bhp.htm

this is a list of a fair few learner legal bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    You can drive any bike as long as it's restricted to the 33bhp or falls under to power/weight ratio.

I've always wondered what you could get away with there. I'm on a restricted license and riding a '89 CBR 250. Now the factory spec was 44hp, but it's almost 20 years old - there's no way it's still at full power. I'd also wonder how the power to weight ratio is calculated. Is it done on the dry weight of the bike, or the dry weight plus oil, petrol, coolant and the big sweaty bloke on top with a belly full of chips? Mind you, I was stuck at a red light for a while during the week. There was a sensor under the road so the light would only go green if a car was waiting. I was too light to set it off.

Fe*king restrictions are a joke anyway. Whatever use they are for *young fellas, I'm twenty ****ing eight, and while not hugh, am above average height. I shouldn't be riding around on a sports bike designed for a little Japanese fella, that hasn't the power to maintain 120kph in the face of a stiff breeze without changing down and reving the **** out of it. I'm very tempted to get a bigger "restricted bike".......

*A CBR 125 will go like a rocket and reach 100mph anyway. Any engine size can be dangerous if you're not responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

*A CBR 125 will go like a rocket and reach 100mph anyway. Any engine size can be dangerous if you're not responsible.

:eek: nsr/rs will, cbr wont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

On further ispection it was a CBR 125 heavily modified with CBR 150 parts that would reach 100mph....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

Forget bout d R6 unless it is restricted to 33bhp. A buddy of mine got his CBR6 taken off him cos he only had a provisional licence and no proof of the bike being restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Red Hornet wrote: »
    Forget bout d R6 unless it is restricted to 33bhp. A buddy of mine got his CBR6 taken off him cos he only had a provisional licence and no proof of the bike being restricted.

I have never heard of a bike been taken off someone for not being restricted.

Did ur mate have the following in order
    • current Provisional licence
    • Tax displayed on bike
    • Current insurance for bike he was on
    • hi vis with L on it
    • bike was road worthy
    I feel that if ur on a learner permit you should comply with ALL the laws when it comes to biking, u are only learning and you really don't need the hassle from the gardai do ya. If everything looks in order they tend not to hassle ya, it they find one thing wrong they tend to ask more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭prodigy1

Hi I have just got my provisional licence, I am 30yrs old and im looking to pick up a nice cruiser bike like a harley!!! Can i get 1 without having a full licence?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

prodigy1 wrote: »
    Hi I have just got my provisional licence, I am 30yrs old and im looking to pick up a nice cruiser bike like a harley!!! Can i get 1 without having a full licence?:confused:

Probably. Harley's are quite heavy low power bikes so as far as I know most come under the power to weight restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭prodigy1

Probably. Harley's are quite heavy low power bikes so as far as I know most come under the power to weight restriction.

Thats great news, i also heard if i do the advanced driving course i could get insured easier...does this make sense!!!also taking into consideration that i am 30.. does this add up.
    Thanks for the reply by the way!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

I did bike training in the north on a 125 which had all the power of a hair dryer and which didnt look very flash or go very fast. So when not having to worry about how stupid you look, you pay attention to other things like road position and bike control. These skills are pretty important & are what keep you alive. Bikers starting out should keep to a nice small simple well balanced bike to begin with until they pick up the basic skills of control. Plus if we stop this restriction crap and bring propper learner bikes such into the country such as honda CB250's there will be more arround for people to learn on & we will encourage more people into biking - which is what we want - isnt it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭mihau

doesn't matter what type of license you hold. it's all about the age. i have a full license since september and they don't give a crap about it. sorry for the language.

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    I have never heard of a bike been taken off someone for not being restricted.

Did ur mate have the following in order
    • current Provisional licence
    • Tax displayed on bike
    • Current insurance for bike he was on
    • hi vis with L on it
    • bike was road worthy
    I feel that if ur on a learner permit you should comply with ALL the laws when it comes to biking, u are only learning and you really don't need the hassle from the gardai do ya. If everything looks in order they tend not to hassle ya, it they find one thing wrong they tend to ask more questions.

The buddy had a current licence, bike taxed and insured, hi vis vest and the bike is in A1 condition but the guard told him that since the bike was not restricted his insurance was invalid and impounded the bike. He only got it back because his dad was able to ride it under his insurance and as able to take it to a bike shop to be restricted. Still got a nice fine and points though. Better to be safe and legal than sorry and bikeless.

so if I'm 21 and I have a FULL A driving license I can drive any bike I want?

mihau wrote: »

No not unless you passed your test 2 or more years ago. If your are still inside the 2 year restriction period then your bike either needs to be restricted to 33bhp or have a power to weight ratio of 0.16kw/kg

Red Hornet wrote: »
    No not unless you passed your test 2 or more years ago. If your are still inside the 2 year restriction period then your bike either needs to be restricted to 33bhp or have a power to weight ratio of 0.16kw/kg

Knew that. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My licence has

A<25kW 16 Sep 2008 - 15 Sep 2010
    A 16 Sep 2010 - XX XXX XXXX

That's pretty clear to me on what I was licensed to ride and when.

You can ride any bike you like as long as it's below 25kW.

The insurance company don't give a f**k. They'll take your money but if sh!t happens they will be even faster to look for a way to get any money paid out back from you. Which they are perfectly entitled to do if YOU can't prove YOU where riding to conditions of your licence, presumed innocent is only for criminal cases not civil cases.

thing is i don't have a restricted full license. I doesn't say anywhere on my license that i'm restricted. It only shows the date when it was obtained and the expiry date which is 2020. btw i have a full european license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

just as a heads up, got insurance on my current bike off quinn 3 months ago, they would not insure it if it was over 25kw unless restricted, sent them in a letter from honda which explained the licensing laws for power to weight ratio and showed the power/weight ratio of my own bike. they insured me on it but 2 months later they had a change of mind and sent me out a letter to forward my restriction cert. long story short i cancelled my insurance and put cover back onto my old bike cos i hadnt the cash to restrict

• Advertisement

thing is i don't have a restricted full license. I doesn't say anywhere on my license that i'm restricted. It only shows the date when it was obtained and the expiry date which is 2020. btw i have a full european license.

Happy days so you can ride whatever you like.

cool :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

cool :D

If you're living in Ireland you have to exchange it for an Irish licence within a year. In Ireland they like to impose a restriction on licences obtained abroad in the last 2 years.

So unless you are resident in the country you got your licence in, you might find yourself in trouble down the line!

my dad had his full european for 2 years before he changed it and never had a problem. and we do live in ireland. it's just that i did the driving school courses in 2008 and i went this summer to get the full license. :-))

PS: The insurance companies have no problem with my full european :-))

weeder wrote: »
    just as a heads up, got insurance on my current bike off quinn 3 months ago, they would not insure it if it was over 25kw unless restricted, sent them in a letter from honda which explained the licensing laws for power to weight ratio and showed the power/weight ratio of my own bike. they insured me on it but 2 months later they had a change of mind and sent me out a letter to forward my restriction cert. long story short i cancelled my insurance and put cover back onto my old bike cos i hadnt the cash to restrict

I got the same letter. So I did up a A4 piece of paper with Restriction Cert written across the top, my bikes details and my signature. If they are stupid enough to ask for the Cert, clearly they are stupid enough to accept whatever you give them.

my dad had his full european for 2 years before he changed it and never had a problem. and we do live in ireland. it's just that i did the driving school courses in 2008 and i went this summer to get the full license. :-))

PS: The insurance companies have no problem with my full european :-))

The insurance company will have no problem with it, the cop who tells you to report to the local station with your Irish License as you are a resident here will feel differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The insurance company will have no problem with it, the cop who tells you to report to the local station with your Irish License as you are a resident here will feel differently.

Or more then likely the insurance company will have no issue taking money off you with it. But if you need them to pay out they could decide you aren't correctly licensed.

It's always up to the driver to driver of a vehicle to ensure they are compliant with the law not the insurance company or the Gardaí and ignorance of the law is never a defence.

BTW what's an EU licence? I thought that all licenses where issued by the country you acquired it or where you live not the EU.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Or more then likely the insurance company will have no issue taking money off you with it. But if you need them to pay out they could decide you aren't correctly licensed.

It's always up to the driver to driver of a vehicle to ensure they are compliant with the law not the insurance company or the Gardaí and ignorance of the law is never a defence.

BTW what's an EU licence? I thought that all licenses where issued by the country you acquired it or where you live not the EU.

The license is issued in a certain country, but the tests are done via european standards, and the license is recognised in all the EU country members.

Advertisement