Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten Free Beer

• 12-11-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

i like drinking Heineken in pubs and when i get a carry out i usually get harp, carling, dutch gold or others lagers.

However i found out recently that i am allergic to wheat and yeast. Does this mean i have to stick to cider and wine?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Bob Z wrote: »
    i like drinking Heineken in pubs and when i get a carry out i usually get harp, carling, dutch gold or others lagers.

However i found out recently that i am allergic to wheat and yeast. Does this mean i have to stick to cider and wine?

Its cider for you, not to sure on wine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

The thing although i like cider i always get bad heart burn from it
    Vanbis wrote: »
    Its cider for you, not to sure on wine though.

i think red wine is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

All red/white/rose wines are fine, as are ciders and alcopops. Spirits are grand too, vodka, gin, rum etc... Pretty much beer is off limits. You can get some gluten free beers in the odd off licence, but they're very expensive. We've had coeliacs in my family for years, it's all wine wine wine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There is not likely to be any wheat or yeast in any of the beers you mention.

But to the best of my knowledge, no-one here is a qualified dietician. Ask your doctor what you can and can't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

what about creams eg mccormicks, baileys etc? are they gluten free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

There's a few gluten free beers available but they're quite expensive. One thats sticking in my mind is heron. A friend of mine used to drink it, I think she was celiac or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Not all Ciders are gluten free, because many manufacturers add barley to them.

http://gfkitchen.server101.com/GFAlcohol.htm#Cider

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

If you are on a gluten-free diet, all beer is off limits that does not specifically say it is gluten-free, as barley and malt are not allowed.

The Green's range e.g. (Trailblazer, Pioneer) are gluten-free, as are GFA and GFL by Hambleton Ales. There is also an "Irish" beer called Heron that is guten-free.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I don't think being allergic to wheat/yeast and being a coeliac are the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

aye, coeliacs don't dig gluten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

sorghum-based beers would be another good choice, I have not seen any here but an African based foods store might have some or get some in

Advertisement