Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60GB of phantom data

Options
  • 12-11-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

I've never come across this before - a laptop HDD that shows 70GB used but when I go through everything on the C: Drive I can only find ~15GB of data. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've never come across this before - a laptop HDD that shows 70GB used but when I go through everything on the C: Drive I can only find ~15GB of data. Am I missing something?

Tools, folder options, show hidden files and folders, and show system files. Then check the amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

What I do is ,type command at the search bar for a shell window

CD\
    DIR/AH

Shows all the hidden files ,including pagefile etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i use freeware WinDirStat.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Some poor guys stash of XXX has been found :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

lol!

Pagefile is 2GB.
    Hidden, System, Operating Files, unhidden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

install ccleaner and see what it finds. :)

Linkage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Check the windows folder, there might be a full copy of windows in a few places, also check for $foldername$ type folders, these are service pack files. I would imagine that you proberly have a recovery partition which has an original version of the install on there.

Run a checkdisk as well, also, there mght be a lot more wrong wiht your system so back things up just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Overheal wrote: »
    i use freeware WinDirStat.

Use this.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nothing like sending pacman out to do your bidding. I only wish it played the arcade music while he worked away.

Advertisement