Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants on Parnell Street etc..

Options
  • 12-11-2008 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey, my boyfriend is coming down soon and I wanted to take him out for a meal. We really love Asian food and I'd heard that there were some great Korean, Chinese and other Asian restaurants on Parnell Street. Can anyone of you recommend any of these places? - why - what did you enjoy about it - how was it priced etc?

I can afford about 40 euro all together for a nice meal (exc. drinks) so please recommend to me.

Also, if anyone has been to any other nice restaurants (type of food is unimportant) then please can you tell me about them - somewhere in city centre (northside/southside) would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

xfirefishx wrote: »
    if anyone has been to any other nice restaurants (type of food is unimportant) then please can you tell me about them
    It's way over your budget but Chapter One in Parnell Square North is one of the best restaurants in Dublin (and my favourite) :).

Apologies - I know nothing about the restaurants along Parnell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's way over your budget but Chapter One in Parnell Square North is one of the best restaurants in Dublin (and my favourite) :).

Apologies - I know nothing about the restaurants along Parnell Street.
    Ah don't tease the poor girl!!

Anyhow the pre theater is only 37.50 euro, extremely good value.

Maybe one of them can go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I've been to a few of them.
    My favourite of them is Han Yang (Korean), which is on the left hand side if you're walking towards O'Connell Street. Really really nice food, and not too expensive. Great value for money too, I've always had too much to finish..

My favourite of them is Han Yang (Korean)
    Is the menu written in English?

(Apologies if it sounds like a stupid question but it seems that many of those restaurants are geared towards their own people).

(Apologies if it sounds like a stupid question but it seems that many of those restaurants are geared towards their own people).

Yeah, it's quite a big menu if I recall.. Korean language, with English underneath. Some pictures of the some of the dishes aswell for people like me who are wary of trying new things!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There's an all you can eat for 8 quid(last time i looked) chinese at the 40 bus stop on Parnell St.
    Never eaten there so cannot comment but it looks like a regular meal type of place to drop in for a quick bite to eat rather than a place for romantics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Iv been to loads of the asian places on Parnell St and Capel at and have never been dissappointed with a meal. Great value for money and really tasty food. My fav is I thing called China Cottage and is up the Cineworld end of Parnel St. There is a korean place on Capel st (cant remember the name) and the salt and chili chicken is fantastic. All menus are written in english in the places ive been and the staff really friendly. Good luck and enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I've been to a few of them.
    My favourite of them is Han Yang (Korean), which is on the left hand side if you're walking towards O'Connell Street. Really really nice food, and not too expensive. Great value for money too, I've always had too much to finish..

I can confirm this. been there quite a few times and you get a lot of good food for a reasonable price.

As far as i remember they do a lunch and diner menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

40 quid will get you half the menu in any of those places. I recommend the Hop House where the Shakespeare pub used to be, close to the Parnell Monument.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hop House very good, also one opposite Mc Donald's in the ILAC - there are two there, the best one is the one with the Buddha in the window - can't remember its name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Yeah, The Hop House pub and attached retaurant KimChi, - The old Shakespeare pub - are very good with very authentic Korean cuisine, I have that on the authority of some actual real live Koreans.

Charming Noodles also do great Korean and Chinese food in nice surrounding.

I would also reccommend "The China Room" although this is more of a cafe vibe about it, the food is still excellent and you can nip upstairs for some karaoke too.

Two people would be busting at the seams from €40 worth of food in any of the places in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I would also reccomend the Hop House and also Madina on Mary Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

+++ for Hop House, though it isn't as cheap as some of the other places. Very tasty tho and it's the strangest vibe eating suishi in what was obviously a traditional Irish pub at one point - this is especially obvious when you go to the gents and find a big long white urinal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 macaroni+cheese

The restaurants on parnell street are great for picking up stomach viruses. there is a lovely italian ice cream shop in the italian district. near cactus jacks. which is great by the way. they do great coctails. for cheap and clean chinese food, try kingfishers in killester. they deliver as well. great noodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 macaroni+cheese

blonde moment there. sorry. golden grain.

The restaurants on parnell street are great for picking up stomach viruses.

Can't be that "great". I've never picked one up!

Hop House, as mentioned, is very nice. I've only eaten there once, but was well impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

me neither and ive eaten there a half a dozen times, in various restaurants too!
    Can't be that "great". I've never picked one up!

Hop House, as mentioned, is very nice. I've only eaten there once, but was well impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xfirefishx

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I'll try Han Yang or Hop House m- Korean is the kinda thing we've been looking for! Thanks all!

And I've eaten from a load of street stalls in Malaysia and that and my stomach withheld all of it. We have stomachs of steel. :-D

Here's a little pic of the Hop House.

ParnellStreetHopHouse.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xfirefishx

Haha brilliant - it looks very authentic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There's another one Ive heard mentioned before called the Hilan. I think it's on Capel st.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know is The Shakespeare building listed? It hasn't been given the makeover that all the other restaurant fronts have.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

if you like indian, you have to try "madina" on mary street (i think).Not very expensive either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Was wandering around town last night and decided to hop in to the hop house (recognised it from pic :)) Food was nice, toilets were a disappointment though. Have some leftover kimchi for lunch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know is The Shakespeare building listed? It hasn't been given the makeover that all the other restaurant fronts have.. :confused:

Dunno about listed, but it used to have some "interesting" clientele in it's previous life!

The best chinese I've found on Parnell Street is the one a few doors down from the new Tesco on the way to Cineworld. I've no idea the name but the outside is yellow and red. While the hygiene level wasn't fantastic by any means, the food was lovely and the service excellent. Good prices too.

To the person who said Chapter One, great call but pricey! Love the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Just eaten in Wox in a Box there, the place on the corner. Can't go wrong for €5 for boiled rice and whatever dish you want. You can actually get a couple of different things. Only drawback is the plastic fork, I hate getting such large bits of meat and having to eat them whole. Lovely food though, 2 hours later and I feel no ill-effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

hop house is gorgeous but very overpriced.

mitsuba is my new favourite sushi spot in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

They're often the best places to go!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

bc dub wrote: »
    mitsuba is my new favourite sushi spot in Dublin.

Wherezat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement