Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove flue - can I use stainless steel piping?

Options
  • 12-11-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Putting an old stove in a workshop. If you look at the attached image it might help explain things.

Anyway, what I currently have is two 5" cast iron pipes and a cast iron 45 degree angle piece that goes as far as a hole in the wall.

What I'm wondering is, could I complete the rest of the flue with 5" stainless steel piping (illustrated by the red) ie. I'd need a section to get me through a cavity block wall, another 45 angle piece and a lenght to bring the chimney up above the shed roof.

I can get 5" stainless steel piping handy enough, cast iron piping is another story though and I dont really want to be paying put for that as I believe its pricey. Its just that I've got mixed feedback, some say it'd be fine, but then i was in a hardwares today and they wouldnt entertain the idea, I was told that it'd burn out in no time! Personally I dont think it would. Help! :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Croppy once your going through a wall or outside it should be insulated stainless at about €120 a meter you may get away with a good quality stainless flue depending on how hot you run the stove is there any thing flamable near the flue? the reason for the insulation is to keep the flue gases warm and therefore rising if the flue gets cold so does the smoke and it stops rising. That said I have seen single wall pipe like you are proposing runnung with no problems, for a workshop you migght be ok with some smoke coming back down the odd time. Make sure the stainless flue is for solid fuel as some are availalbe for gas/oil only and would burn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I was told the same.

Ye have to use twin wall stainless . Very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated ;)

Hmm, I 'had' a 7 foot or so lenght of double wall piping, when I say 'had' I mean that I ran an angle grinder up along it to nick the 5" pipe out of the centre :eek:....d'oh! Ah well, I got it free anyway, so I'm not at a loss. That pipe originally came from a caravans stove, so I assume it'd be good quality piping?

The stove itself would only be used to burn scraps and offcuts and to prevents my hands from falling off during the coming winter :P, I doubth I'll be burning coal or such in it.

Advertisement