Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 206 yes or no?

Options
  • 12-11-2008 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi, I have to buy a new car as my old 1 is about to die I wasn't planning it so I only have around €3500 to spend. Went to a dealer today and saw a lovely 206 it's '99 with only 40k miles on it for €3000, but just had a look at some reviews and they were mostly bad, was just wondering do people mostly write reviews when something has gone wrong or is the 206 a bad choice?

There will be a 3 month waranty on the car, just need some advice as I really can't afford to be getting repairs done. If you don't recommend 206 any other advice on what's good in my price range? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That's 3 month warranty won't be worth much to ya, it's more than likely engine and gearbox warranty which will cover only what it says on the tin. 206's aren't terrible bad car for the size/money etc. The pedals are very very small and close together would be one thing i have to say about. If it's 99, i'd try aim for a bit less money wise. As everyone who will post here will say the market is flooded with cars, so get yourself a good deal.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/206/1.1-3-Do/200840190264565/advert
    Here's a 01, with a bit higher mileage for the same money, and you would more than likely get it for 2750. Keep your eye's open.

What nct has the car? Is there a service history to justify the low mileage? Any visual signs of wear etc.? A little bit of searching will go a long way, you might get something a few years newer for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Thanks for that Limerick-man, excuse my ignorance but does mileage count for much? my own car is a 97 punto with 75k miles and needs so much work that it's not worth it, so buying a car with almost the same mileage is a bit off putting for me. I did a search on CBG.ie and most of the '99 206's were more expensive than €3000 but I would definitely try to bargain him down a bit. The car has NCT til Sept 09.

Does anyone know what is classed as the best small car?

lily lou wrote: »
    Thanks for that Limerick-man, excuse my ignorance but does mileage count for much? my own car is a 97 punto with 75k miles and needs so much work that it's not worth it, so buying a car with almost the same mileage is a bit off putting for me. I did a search on CBG.ie and most of the '99 206's were more expensive than €3000 but I would definitely try to bargain him down a bit. The car has NCT til Sept 09.

Does anyone know what is classed as the best small car?

As far as pricing 99's go, look at the prices of 00's 01's as well. I think you will be surprised at the similarities in prices. Mileage doesn't matter alot as long as it's not massive. For example a car with 70,000 , serviced on the button is better than one with 40,000 and not serviced if you understand me. www.carzone.ie could be another alternative to cbg.ie

I would imagine the fact that it's an old model Punto could be a reason for the problems your having, mileage irrespective. Smalls cars to look at would be things like Vw Polo, Opel Corsa, Ford Fiesta (although a bit out dated, and if your looking and one of these try get the 1.25 rather than the 1.3. Better engine.)

Have a look on carzone at 99's, 00's and 01's and see what you think price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Thanks again, had a look at newer cars and you're right I can definitely get a better deal, didn't really want to buy a car that was almost 10 years old but the low mileage turned my head for a while there. My first car was a Fiesta and I loved it so think I'll look out for 1 of them. Thanks for all your help:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

What about this?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1250651

I think its a dreat car and you'd probably get it around 3000-3200, with a full service history.

Best of the small cars I think, bulletproof.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That Yaris is a private sale and I'd guess that the owner would be horrified that you'd insult them by going way under their expectations despite the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

the 206 isn't a bad car. its cheap and gutless. basically nothing happens when you push down the accelerator but for 3k it doesn't seem that bad. that thing about the peddels being very close together is true though. i think they were designed for chinese women with bound feet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Friend just got a '00, 50K miles for 2750 so I'd say the price is a bit high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

would the 1.4 version of this car be better?

ciaran76 wrote: »
    would the 1.4 version of this car be better?

Your onto a bigger market of cars then with the 1.4 (ie. Golfs, Astra, Leon etc. etc.) I think the point of the 206 is the small engine, lower tax, insurance comsumption etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

towel401 wrote: »
    the 206 isn't a bad car. its cheap and gutless. basically nothing happens when you push down the accelerator but for 3k it doesn't seem that bad. that thing about the peddels being very close together is true though. i think they were designed for chinese women with bound feet :)

I drove one for 2 years, and got used to the pedals no bothers. They are close together, but not as bad as the 106. Don't agree that it's cheap, I think the interior and specification is as nice as most cars of its era in the supermini market. Mine was a 01 LX and came with fogs, electric front windows, stereo remote on steering wheel, massive electric sunroof (about a £400 option) and automatic wipers.

1.1 is slow, but relaxing enough to drive off the motorway. My wife has had hers for nearly two years now, and I have no problems adjusting to it when I use hers.

anyone drive the 1.4 or higher spec? Are they a better drive and better acceleration?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

no

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

kbannon wrote: »
    That Yaris is a private sale and I'd guess that the owner would be horrified that you'd insult them by going way under their expectations despite the market.
    So its ok to haggle with a dealer but not another person?

Advertisement