Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk Taxis

Options
  • 12-11-2008 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I have been meaning to start a topic on this for a while, but the Argus beat me to it today. It will come as no surprise to many that taxi drivers are overcharging, but how have they got away with it for so long? Not only that but has anyone ever sat in a newish taxi? Most taxis in town seem to be 1994 Carinas or battered old Hiace minibuses, surely we are entitled to better for such ridiculous fares. One of the taxi companies in Newry had dropped its fares because the price of fuel has come down, I doubt there is much chance of that happening here in Dundalk.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

TommyT wrote: »
    I have been meaning to start a topic on this for a while, but the Argus beat me to it today. It will come as no surprise to many that taxi drivers are overcharging, but how have they got away with it for so long? Not only that but has anyone ever sat in a newish taxi? Most taxis in town seem to be 1994 Carinas or battered old Hiace minibuses, surely we are entitled to better for such ridiculous fares. One of the taxi companies in Newry had dropped its fares because the price of fuel has come down, I doubt there is much chance of that happening here in Dundalk.

+1

One thing i have heard is that they listen to your accent and base their price on that!

If your local you get normal price if your not local you get their special rate!

Only certain taxi drivers that do it but these few are giving the rest a bad name.

But if your overcharged i recommend www.taxireg.ie and report them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

I dont know about the accent, the article in todays paper was about a local taxi driver from Glenwood who got a taxi from the square on a night out. The driver took a roundabout way to Glenwood and charged him €10.50 for the privilege.
    Most of the taxis in the town are only worth about €10.50 anyway. Surely taxis should have to be quite new, under 6 years old say, but in town they arent even fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

Most of the taxis in the town are only worth about €10.50 anyway.

LOL

Do what I do, if you know one or two guys who drive a taxi get their mobile number and used them all the time. When you stick to the same guy and you know him there will be less chance of being ripped off.
    only use others if you're really stuck and as mentioned above report it to the taxi regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Demand a receipt off them if your unhappy with the fare, I do what the above poster does, take a mobile number from a taxidriver you trust and stick with him, and you'll be looked after. Had a taxi driver try to charge me €10 a few months ago, but he reduced it to seven when I questioned him, he had thought I was drunk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

I dont know about the accent,

I know a guy from Wexford who was ripped off he was new too Dundalk so he didn't exactly know the price of the fair until he got another taxi and it was cheaper.

• Advertisement

I must have been very drunk last night, I could have sworn I saw a 08 reg Taxi, surely we wouldnt have something that new in town? The Toyota Carina brigade would run him out of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

I used Sevens or whatever they are called and they charged €3 per head for going from Faughart to Crowne Plaza - 6 people in the mini bus so €18 total.

First time using a taxi in years so no idea how this stacks up but I did not feel screwed by the price.

He went direct as well but hard not to really!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

To be honest Sevens are renowned for stunts like that. They looked for a fiver a head on their full 14 seater from Dundalk Stadium to Fitzpatricks out in Rockmarshal ! Thats 6 miles for anyone unfamiliar with the run.
    Personally I use Shevlins around town, they have let me down once in about 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bingles

its been a while since i used a taxi and i tell you it will be a long time till i use one again got shevlins tonight and the dude was out of it I swear he didnt have a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Hey Duffman,

So did 7's screw/overcharge me or was it the normal price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

Are you sure it was a taxi? Shevlins still drive hearses. Was there a fella in the back that didn't speak a word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bingles

:eek:
    Are you sure it was a taxi? Shevlins still drive hearses. Was there a fella in the back that didn't speak a word?

lol its funny you mention that I did think the taxi had rather long windows in the back

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

hello to the people of dundalk
    im not from the area im a taxi driver in dublin but i will say that the operation that some drivers are doing in the town is totally illigal .the rules are clearly set down by the taxi regulator for the whole of ireland .
    all taxi journeys must be on the meter and the driver must be able to provide a PRINTED reciept .
    if you feel that you have been ripped off then take the roofsign number .
    take the drivers name ,from the id card that MUST also be on display
    make sure the photo is the same as the driver .
    ask for a printed reciept .this will tell how the driver went on the journey .time it took etc .
    dont let some cowboy rip you off
    REPORT THEM

Guvnor wrote: »
    Hey Duffman,

So did 7's screw/overcharge me or was it the normal price?
    If you didn't feel screwed then they didn't :D 18 euro for that run isn't too bad I wouldn't think. However if it was on the meter in a rank taxi then it probably wouldn't have been quite as much.
    TBH its only 6 yoyos around town now with Shevlins although I got one from out front of Parkes last weekend and he looked for 14 yoyos to go from there to Glenwood to Belfry Avenue. "Reciept please" and lo and behold it became a tenner. As an aside it was an out of town driver too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

A1/Blue Star and Dundalk Cabs are usually fairly sound, might not be the fastest at times but never felt that i've been overcharged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

as regard the article in the argus, my friend got into a taxi last night and was talking to the driver about what happened to your man in the argus, when she got to her house the driver charged her 6 euro for what has always been an 8 euro fare. maybe your man thought she was from the taxi regulator or something and wanted to impress ! anyway i think she'll be using this conversation topic again, or at least until she gets every taxi driver at least once !!!!

bettedavis wrote: »
    as regard the article in the argus, my friend got into a taxi last night and was talking to the driver about what happened to your man in the argus, when she got to her house the driver charged her 6 euro for what has always been an 8 euro fare. maybe your man thought she was from the taxi regulator or something and wanted to impress ! anyway i think she'll be using this conversation topic again, or at least until she gets every taxi driver at least once !!!!

Was it a rank or an office? And if so which office? And seeing as I am asking questions was she coming home al vino or sober? :p

A1/Blue Star and Dundalk Cabs are usually fairly sound, might not be the fastest at times but never felt that i've been overcharged.

I used to use A1, but they have changed ownership that many times that the good drivers have gone somewhere else. They always had crap cars and buses though.

Was it a rank or an office? And if so which office? And seeing as I am asking questions was she coming home al vino or sober? :p

sevens, and vino was insitu but not noticeably and it was after midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Got a taxi from park street to the red barns road last night with a "foreign national". The meter was going up 20 cent every 5 seconds no joking. By the time he got me to the red barns it was at 10.85 . I told him there wasnt a hope in hell of me paying that, that the most ive ever paid for a taxi is 7 euro (true). He locked the doors and started shouting at me. I just stayed calm and repeated that he could say what he wanted but I wasnt paying his rip off fair. He took the 7 euro. Scum, and a lot of the foreign taxi drivers are at it also. Will be avoiding getting a taxi from them in future, if im called a racist so be it, but there are a large majority of them ripping people off. :mad:

• Advertisement

I`ve heard a lot of similar stories to the one above, all involving "foreign nationals." You do not have to take the first car on the rank.

I`ve heard a lot of similar stories to the one above, all involving "foreign nationals." You do not have to take the first car on the rank.

would it be that easy to rig the meter? you have to admire the ingenuity of all these non irish people who can seem to come up with ways to beat the system, whether it be skimming cards or fake clothes charities and now meter tampering. how come they always beat our scumbags
    to it with the scams! Fas should start doing courses !

Its nothing to do with rigging the meter, I have never seen a meter used in a taxi at night time. Those that are using meters and trying to overchare usually take a roundabout way to your destination. I think you will find that the majority of local taxi drivers seem to be pretty honest. And before you jump on your high horse and accuse me of racism, its realism not racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mickdlk

If i get a taxi on my own from Glennwood to town centre it costs €6, if there is 4 of us its €3 a head = €12 and if its a mini bus with 14 of us it costs €2 a head which is €28.

Surely this cant be allowed or is it different for different passangers

Taxi from Crowe Street to Suil na Mara on the Point road and then to Glenwood Friday night, €15.45 :mad: 7.8Kms. Thats 1 cab I won't be getting in again

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Vivi13

I've used the same company for as long as i have been living in dundalk and they have always charged me the same, regardless of who picks me up and every fare is checkable with the office - even if you pick them up off the rank.

I would not swap Rock Cabs with any of the other local companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

I always used Top Rank (whatever happened to them :confused:), then i started to use classic, good at the start, but then became unreliable. So im using Sevens now, think i will stick with them, my fare is always 6.00, and thats from the bottom of the town, to the coes road.

Been using Sevens myself. Very reliable and set fares which is a bonus on a Satrday night when you are counting change to see if you have enough for another round and a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Vivi13 wrote: »
    I've used the same company for as long as i have been living in dundalk and they have always charged me the same, regardless of who picks me up and every fare is checkable with the office - even if you pick them up off the rank.

I would not swap Rock Cabs with any of the other local companies
    Been using Sevens myself. Very reliable and set fares which is a bonus on a Satrday night when you are counting change to see if you have enough for another round and a taxi.

Probably the best two ranks in town and would be the ones i would use. Would recommend them to anyone.

As for the foreign nationals. Same thing happened me was charged €9.80 for a fair from the taxi rank in town centre to the back of the wall which is a fair that normally costs €6.
    Took the receipt and said i would be complaining but the guy didn't give a crap. Never bothered complaining mind. Only seems to happen in Dundalk as don't seem to get ripped off by the foreign nationals in Dublin.

I like other posters will never get one of the foreign drivers again at the rank, it's not about racism its about saving money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

doncarlos wrote: »
    I like other posters will never get one of the foreign drivers again at the rank, it's not about racism its about saving money

Re-igniting an old thread i know but they've really been getting to me over the last few nights out. i would usually make a point of getting a particular company or picking and choosing my cabs but for the past few nights out over the last months circumstances have put me in the back seat of these fleece merchants.

the first time a gang of us walk out of a pub on park street and lo and behold theres a rank taxi right in front of us. (i can't think what the phrase is but i know they aren't allowed/supposed to pick off the street. so three of us get in, luckily only three cause he was basically sitting in the back seat, lying back almost. we've two drops, one redbarnes, one kingswood. he takes off, and instantly lifts his phone to his ear and proceeds to have a screaming conversation, over the radio which was on too. in the cold light of day i know i would have made a point of telling him to stop the car but you know how things seem less important when your just glad to be heading home. so we drop to red barnes , (she paid for lift in so we're intending on paying home ) we get to kings, yer man pulls up, that's 8 euro, (thats fine) so i hands him a tenner and immediately, he does this big theatrical, oh i have no change. but me being drunk i'm like, yeah whatever keep it ! (i'm a millionaire you see !) of course the next day, i remembered it and thought wtf, cheeky bastard !

so anyways this past weekend, come out of late night eating establishment which in my sober moments i wouldn't feed my dog from but seems like fine dining at 2 in the morn ! once again, taxi waiting illegally outside. this time we're going to medebawn and kingswood. get to medebawn and the guy we're with tries to be a gentleman and says, take for the whole fare, how much will it be. so yer man starts this, i cannot possibly say, i have no idea how much it will be. and we're like, no yer grand we'll get it, but our mate says ok, how much is it to here (medebawn).....and taxi boy says ' 12 euro ' Wtf !!! we're looking at each other in the back in stunned silence and yer man pays probably out of pure embarassment rather than query it in front of us.

so we get to kingswood and i purposely get him to pull up away from the house cause i was expecting a row. ok so how much is that ! so he starts fiddling with the machine, umming and aahing and next thing he goes.....
    8 euro !!!!!!!! Cue expletives from us and lengthly discussion of the breakdown of fare. to cut a very long story short and after a refusal of receipt, and me telling him i'm taking down his number (with what !) i hand him 2 quid and get out. he didn't come after us so i assume he thinks he got a lucky escape. so to be succinct ! and with the knowledge that i'm probably gonna get a barrage of abuse from pc nuts...........do not get into a foreign drivers cab..........fleece merchants !

Advertisement