Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smoking while driving

Options
  • 12-11-2008 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

I was listening to the radio a few days back, and there was a show on, and they were talking about the banning of smoking while driving, especially for mothers with kids and all that.

Driving around today (while smoking), and some one was flashing in my rear view. Long story short i got a bit distracted and it made me come to think in the event of a crash etc. and you were smoking, it could lead to burns etc. etc.:confused:

I haven't a clue really what it could lead to, but i'm just wondering for people opinions on smoking in cars etc. Are you a keeper of the buts in the ash-tray? Or an out the window kinda person.

Curiosity really, and no "give up smoking it's bad for you" etc. etc. lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Although I hate smoking and my father smoking while im in the car etc etc, I think drivers should be still allowed smoke in their own car if they want. Its one of the few places smokers have left and I don't see it to be especially distracting or dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

I haven't a clue really what it could lead to, but i'm just wondering for people opinions on smoking in cars etc. Are you a keeper of the buts in the ash-tray? Or an out the window kinda person.
    No, no, the polite custom is to put your butts in the ashtray and then empty the ashtray out the window while stopped at traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

No, no, the polite custom is to put your butts in the ashtray and then empty them at while stopped at traffic lights.

Lol! I don't think that would go down well with the peeps around you haha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I don't smoke but I always wonder about people smoking in cars.

When you're lighting a cigarette, how much attention are you paying to the road? Is the process of getting the pack, getting a fag out and lighting it not as bad as answering your phone or something?

And what if you drop a light fag on your crotch and it's burning you, while you're driving? What happens then?

I don't go around campaigning that people shouldn't be allowed smoke in their cars but those two points always occur to me when someone mentions it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd imagine the last thing you'd be worried about in a car accident is the off chance of a tiny circular cigarette burn.

Be more worried about female drivers applying makeup to be honest. Now THAT scares me :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ergonomics wrote: »

And what if you drop a light fag on your crotch and it's burning you, while you're driving? What happens then?

That happened to me years ago when I used to drive a car "shudders". I just told the lack at the time to hold onto the steering wheel while I look for the nad burning cigarette.

Wouldnt smoke while driving now cos the helmet would fill up arter one drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

how much attention are you paying to the road? Is the process of getting the pack, getting a fag out and lighting it not as bad as answering your phone or something?

I smoked for years especially while driving - how I miss it!.

Taking out a cigarette and lighting it is second nature and requires absolutely no concentration.

A ringing telephone is an entirely different matter as one is interacting or thinking about the interaction with a 3rd party.

And I've never seen sober person drop a cigarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

When you're lighting a cigarette, how much attention are you paying to the road? Is the process of getting the pack, getting a fag out and lighting it not as bad as answering your phone or something?

Always out of me pocket to and easy reach area before i start driving. Other than the risk of burning your eyebrows (lol) it can be done very easily with little attention to the road lost.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

A funny thing happened my mate who was smoking while driving.
    He went to throw the butt out the window but it blew back in and went down the back of his shirt. He was jiggling like a madman then the Cigarette made it out of his shirt and burned him on the ar$e

Quite Dangerous at the time

Quite funny looking back on it....:D

mik_da_man wrote: »
    He went to throw the butt out the window but it blew back in and went down the back of his shirt. He was jiggling like a madman then the Cigarette made it out of his shirt and burned him on the ar$e

jaysus I remember years ago when I wasnt old enough to smoke in front of me parents, we was on the way upto Sligo from Waterford, We where a few hours intot he journey and me da smoked a fag and threw it out the window and it blew back in on top of me, I was sitting right behind him. Was bloody delighted to have a sneaky drag and flick it out the window hehe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,984 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have... fingers never really got used to the 'burning thing' factor.

I've noticed less and less cars have 'smokers equipment' in them. My last one had a lighter socket, a removable ashtray that went in to a cupholder... and no lighter!

New one (same car, different spec) has the lighter back, though. Not that I've ever seen anyone use one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Taking out a cigarette and lighting it is second nature and requires absolutely no concentration.

A ringing telephone is an entirely different matter as one is interacting or thinking about the interaction with a 3rd party.
    s2_ep8_john_fags_200x150.jpg

I enjoy having a smoke in the car (not with mrs. or kids though!) and I'd like to meet the politician that thinks I'd be better off without my fix. I agree that it doesn't affect concentration.
    No, no, the polite custom is to put your butts in the ashtray and then empty the ashtray out the window while stopped at traffic lights.
    I usually wait until a biker is about to overtake me!!! :D

Joking

kbannon wrote: »
    I usually wait until a biker is about to overtake me!!! :D

Joking

ha ha ha if someone done that to me I'd prolly fall off the bike from all the laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Lol! I don't think that would go down well with the peeps around you haha:D

i don't think they'd give a toss unless they're the uppity dublin type

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That happened to me kinda, went for throwing the fag out the window, came flying back past me and landed on my mates neck in the back seat. By god did he yelp haha.:cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

+1

I haven't burnt a nad yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I wouldn't be at all surprised that someone wants to ban smoking while driving. After all, the "ban it all" brigade must be running out of bannable things by now.

I developed an aversion to throwing fag ends out of the window ever since someone in a nearby car did that on a hot summer day when I had all my windows open. His fag end flew in through my passenger side window and left a nice burn hole in the seat, giving me an interesting moment while trying to get it out again. So yes, cigarettes in cars can be distracting in some circumstances:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I smoke all the time when driving. There is a very momentary lapse of concentration just at the moment of lighting the fag. (When you look at the end of it to make sure the lighter is not too far away from your face).

I have never dropped a fag when I was sober, I use the ashtray so it wont flip back in the window. I don't smoke when my son is in the car. I know where my smokes and lighter sit in the car, so I don't have to rummage for them (I keep them in the well by the handbrake, there is a decent space there in my car).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My uncle's S class was written off by a guy trying to light a smoke while driving. He dropped the cig lighter and reached down to get it before it burnt a hole in the carpet and looked up and bang.

Hit the back of the car so hard he snapped the axle in two.

(My uncle was alright though, he was in bed at the time:))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Are you a keeper of the buts in the ash-tray? Or an out the window kinda person.
    My other pet peev.
    I don't care if you smoke, but there is no need to be a fucking scumbag and litter. Some smokers somehow think it's acceptable to throw their buts on the ground, like it's somehow not litter. :confused: WFT. Use a fucking bin/ash tray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

They may not all have 'dropped' one but:
    seanybiker wrote: »
    That happened to me years ago when I used to drive a car "shudders". I just told the lack at the time to hold onto the steering wheel while I look for the nad burning cigarette.

MYOB wrote: »
    I have... fingers never really got used to the 'burning thing' factor.
    R_H_C_P wrote: »
    That happened to me kinda, went for throwing the fag out the window, came flying back past me and landed on my mates neck in the back seat. By god did he yelp haha.:cool:
    ART6 wrote: »
    I developed an aversion to throwing fag ends out of the window ever since someone in a nearby car did that on a hot summer day when I had all my windows open. His fag end flew in through my passenger side window and left a nice burn hole in the seat, giving me an interesting moment while trying to get it out again. So yes, cigarettes in cars can be distracting in some circumstances:rolleyes:
    My uncle's S class was written off by a guy trying to light a smoke while driving. He dropped the cig lighter and reached down to get it before it burnt a hole in the carpet and looked up and bang.

Hit the back of the car so hard he snapped the axle in two.

I've never gone around campaigning to stop smoking in cars but nearly everyone has a story to tell about smoking in cars gone wrong. I know ye don't agree with me, and I'm not going to try and change your minds but the fact that so many people have stories would make me completely opposed to smoking in cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So long as there are no children or non smokers in the car, I have no problem with people smoking - so long as they pull over to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Penalty points and a fine based on the emissions level of the cigarette. :D

I hate smoking but I don't think people should be banned* from doing it while driving. But I think there should be a bit of a clampdown on throwing them from cars. If you managed to put up with the smell while you were smoking it, you can put up with it after it's out until you get to a bin.

*The exception to the rule is anyone with kids in the car. Anyone with a "Baby on Board" sticker on their car while smoking is a hypocrite of the highest order. Why should I show extra concern for your kid's health if you don't? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I think we need to start with much more important matters..

like breast feeding while driving...

drinking mocha wacka's and doing your make up etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I don't smoke and can stand the smell of fag's, but I don't think it is fair to force people to stop smoking in their own cars. Like others said, don't chuck your butts out the window, no need most if not all cars have ashtrays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I can't belive that anyone who claims to be interested in cars would smoke in their own car:eek:?

I just simply could not degrade my car's interior and have that smelly atmosphere inside in my car all the time.

As you might have guessed, I don't smoke:D.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I've never gone around campaigning to stop smoking in cars but nearly everyone has a story to tell about smoking in cars gone wrong. I know ye don't agree with me, and I'm not going to try and change your minds but the fact that so many people have stories would make me completely opposed to smoking in cars.

Thats only a small majority on boards. You cant base it on that.

Before I drove nearly all the time I got in a car with someone who smoked got me to light their fag. And to alot of people it really is a second nature.

But seriously, I think you should campaign for it, I would really like to see what would happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

E92 wrote: »
    I can't belive that anyone who claims to be interested in cars would smoke in their own car:eek:?

I just simply could not degrade my car's interior and have that smelly atmosphere inside in my car all the time.

As you might have guessed, I don't smoke:D.

If I spend tens of thousands on a car and spend a couple of hours a day
    sitting in it I'm going to enjoy it fully - and that includes smoking in it.

If this government wants to see road rage, let them introduce a ban. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

What about if it's a work car .... and the employee pays BIK on it?
    Can you tell them not to smoke if you're driving to a meeting with them during working hours?
    "Smoking in the workplace" etc etc :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Until you hit a pothole while lighting a cig! Lucky for us Irish drivers are roads are perfectly smooth.

Advertisement