Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smoking while driving

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

E92 wrote: »
    I can't belive that anyone who claims to be interested in cars would smoke in their own car:eek:?

I just simply could not degrade my car's interior and have that smelly atmosphere inside in my car all the time.

As you might have guessed, I don't smoke:D.

I lasted nearly three months (of the summer i might add) without smoking in the car. Now it's just a pain in the arse to be out in the cold, so it has to be done:D. And wouldn't you know it, i burned a small ugly rotten hole into my carpet... :mad:

Like some one's story above i was smoking in a car one day (as a passenger) and flicked it out the window. A few mins later i felt an awful burn on my neck, bloody thing flew back into my hood lol.

I hate the smell of fags in the car, but in wintery times, it beats being out in the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Great scene in The Big Lebowski when the dude drops his joint while driving. Luckily he's also drinking a beer, so he tries to put it out by pouring beer between his legs. Think he ends up driving into a skip!
    ergonomics wrote: »
    I've never gone around campaigning to stop smoking in cars but nearly everyone has a story to tell about smoking in cars gone wrong. I know ye don't agree with me, and I'm not going to try and change your minds but the fact that so many people have stories would make me completely opposed to smoking in cars.

Could probably have the same reaction with stereos in cars. People crashing cos of changing cd's or radio station, or driving dangerously after getting destracted by music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Quint wrote: »
    People crashing cos of changing cd's or radio station, or driving dangerously after getting destracted by music

I remember years ago my mate was driving me and a few others back from the pub when he decided to change the radio station as he was going around the bend but unfortunatly to do this he put his hand through the steering wheel and wasn't able to turn the steering wheel back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Heroditas wrote: »
    What about if it's a work car .... and the employee pays BIK on it?
    Can you tell them not to smoke if you're driving to a meeting with them during working hours?
    "Smoking in the workplace" etc etc :confused:

Its already illegal to smoke in work cars isnt it?

I smoke in mine all the time, im paying a fortune already for MY car so Im gonna smoke in MY car whenever i want. Dont forget that some heavy smokers might lose concentration if theyr goin mad for a smoke after a lenghty time.

I smoke rolly's - I once (this happens often by the way) drove from Athy to Dublin with the same rolly between my fingers, only light it "on departure" and then half way to dublin. was still a full smoke by the time i was home so its also kind of a psychological thing to even have a smoke in your hand.

And another thing is I wont go anywhere unless ive tobacco with me, if I dont then something bad will happen and il end up stuck in the a*se end of nowhere with no nicotine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Used to smoke a lot including in my car but thankfully off them 10 years:D Managed to sell a car a few months back - guy who bought it from me said the fact that it was advertised as a non-smokers car was a big plus. So lesson is if you car stinks of smoke you're probably going to put of most if not all non-smokers when it comes to selling it - and "air fresheners" don't fool anyone!

I remember seeing a car advertised on adverts.ie guy made a big deal of how well kept etc the car was but one of the interior photos featured a pack of Marlboro on the dash:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I remember years ago my mate was driving me and a few others back from the pub when he decided to change the radio station as he was going around the bend but unfortunatly to do this he put his hand through the steering wheel and wasn't able to turn the steering wheel back! :D
    How pissed was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

fletch... wrote: »

I smoke rolly's

One of my friends does this, he is a master of rolling while driving the transit with his knees on dodgy backroads.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I said it a year, ago, they'll try ban smoking while driving now. I don't smoke but would they ever go f*** themsevles. People are entitled to do what they want in their cars, if they want to **** fairies let them do so. They'd be more along the lines to try and stop people driving who are whacked off their face on drugs.

If mothers and fathers have any sense, they won't smoke with their own children in the car, and if they do smoke, they're just plain idiots. This country is slowly trying to turn us all in to the one generic ideal person. Give me anywhere, america, australia, just get me out of here !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Sick of people going on about the "Nanny state"...

People should be free to do what they want but not when other people are involved, so I'd be in favour of banning smoking in a car with children... And tossing fag-butts out the window!

Of course people in a car on their own can do what they want... (as long as it's not distracting them from driving of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

ASH were trying to get smoking in cars banned before.

I'd say smoking will never be banned in your own car, that's a step too far and it's pretty much also unenforceable.

Only a complete idiot would consider this a worthwhile ban but hey, there's a fair few around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm not a smoker, never liked being in cars when people smoked, but i'd be completely against this whole trying to get people to stop. Next they'll ban radios because they distract you, then they'll try and get rid of comfy seats....no one likes a nanny state!

Advertisement