Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Blu-ray's in ireland.

• 12-11-2008 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,just trying to locate blu-rays in shops here at good prices ?
    I understand i could have posted in bargain alerts ,but movie buffs might have better knowledge ,I hope:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I think you will find it hard to buy blu ray discs in the high street here. I have bought all my movies online and when I go into the shops here I can't believe how much I have saved. I usually buy from play.com or sendit.
    Just as an example I have preordered The Dark Knight from play for 20.99eu delivered have a look or ask how much this title will cost in the shops.
    When blu ray won the war with hd dvd I thought prices would drop.They have with players but the movies are slow to fall in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I get all mine with play.com aswell, if you go and look in HMV for example you will be shocked at the price difference and play.com screw you with the exchange rate and they are still cheaper than the shops here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Cheers for the replies ,yeah I've found the prices shockingly different in shops.
    I was afraid I was looking in the wrong places ,obviously not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Gamestop are the most competitive with lots of titles for €17.99

(lots of titles may be an exaggeration ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Zavii and HMV are doing a 3 for 2 deal on Blu-Ray at the moment on selected films.
    They have films like Pans Labyrith, Die Hard 4.0, Transformers.

I buy most of mine from Play.com, bought Godfather Collection & Band of Brothers Blu-Ray last week.

• Advertisement

I watched the first two godfather movies and the transfer is excellent. My band of brothers arrived this morning so a busy w/end ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm really tempted to get Band of Brothers, I held off for the Blu-Ray release. HMV are selling it for €50, which seems very cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Buy online as sterling is really weak atm.

One set I really want to get is Planet Earth ,but it's around fourthy euro on amazon.

I think it's silly that shops keep this lark up ,they did it with dvd's aswell.

I bought band of brothers for 45.49eu from Sendit.com.

• Advertisement

Picked up Felon for 20 euro in Gamestop recently and stopped off in HMV afterward and discovered much to my horror that it was 38 euro in there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

311 wrote: »
    One set I really want to get is Planet Earth ,but it's around fourthy euro on amazon.

I think it's silly that shops keep this lark up ,they did it with dvd's aswell.
    In fairness it is a 5 disc set packed with hours of stunning content. If you were to compare it to the price/runtime of a movie it's excellent value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Planet Earth is well worth 40 euro - it's absolutely breathtaking.

stevenmu wrote: »
    In fairness it is a 5 disc set packed with hours of stunning content. If you were to compare it to the price/runtime of a movie it's excellent value.
    Planet Earth is well worth 40 euro - it's absolutely breathtaking.

Yeah I'd say it is a great set ,but I wanted to buy it in a shop here and I couldn't find it at a good price:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There's 3 for 2 on Amazon.co.uk - got Pan's Labyrinth, Cloverfield and The Nightmare Before Christmas for €45 (including shipping).

Most brick and mortar shops are quite expensive.. but Gamestop seem to be the cheapest for them - suprisingly considering they're robbing bastards for practically everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

So when are blu-ray going to be the same price as dvd's - 2010 maybe ?

Personaly I can't see blu ray at the same price as dvd, but you will get bargains. I will never pay 30eu or more for a new release as is the case in most shops here. I have bought all my films online,this is a sad but true state of affairs with the retailers here. Sony have ploughed a lot of money into this format and with the new generation profile 2.0 players available at decent prices more people should be buying.

I was thinking recently about why are Blu-Ray's more expensive.. and the only reason I could really fathom was the media (Blu-Ray discs) are more expensive to produce.

However.. having watched my first film on Blu-Ray in full 1080P HD today (Sunshine), it is worth every penny of the little extra!

basquille wrote: »
    However.. having watched my first film on Blu-Ray in full 1080P HD today (Sunshine), it is worth every penny of the little extra!

Have to agree with you on that, the difference can be quite breath taking. Picked up Iron Man, Dooms Day and The Bank Job for 70 euro tonight and watching Iron Man I have to say that it was worth every penny. It looks astounding. The best Blu Ray I have had the pleasure of viewing was The Fall. Quite simply it is the most visualoly stunning film ever made and the Blu Ray is out of this world.

the little extra - 20 euro or more a title isn't little, and you can hardly go changing for subjective experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

If you buy new Blu Rays on Amazon.com, it works out to be about €20 delivered. New DVDs are €19.90 to buy in Tesco, who are the cheapest brick and mortar shop for new DVDs.

MooseJam wrote: »
    the little extra - 20 euro or more a title isn't little, and you can hardly go changing for subjective experience
    If you're paying more €20 or more extra on a Blu-ray title, you're simply shopping the wrong places to be honest!

Example.. The Dark Knight on Play.com

Standard DVD: €17.99
    Blu-Ray: €21.99

I've seen some places charging a tenner but can't say I've seen any extraordinary priced more unless it's a boxset.

DVD's were expensive at the start too compared to VHS remember.

that may be so for new titles but you can pick up old DVD titles for 5, even old blu-ray titles are at least 20 and if you don't shop online can be 40

Moosejam wrote:
    that may be so for new titles but you can pick up old DVD titles for 5, even old blu-ray titles are at least 20 and if you don't shop online can be 40
    If they bring out a new remastered edition of a film you can buy for €5 (e.g The Shawshank Redemption) in a sale, do you honestly think they'll sell it for roughly the same as the one on sale - a fiver? Absolutely not!

well thats a special case isn't it, blu-ray is more expensive is the bottom line, sure you can point out buying online etc but I could buy 100 classics on dvd and have change out of a grand - try that on blu-ray

Yeah, but I think you're missing the point.

Blu-Ray is more expensive because it's a new technology.. it's as simple as that. DVD's were the same when they were introduced compared to VHS.

It'll take at least 2 - 3 years when they're more established until they'll be able to push prices down. And even longer before you see them on sale at the same price as DVD's on sale.

It's saturation of the market.. simple as that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Blu ray is just awesome. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

internet, for everything except for food

For me the difference in sound as well as picture makes the extra few euro worth spending. I think once you have watched blu ray consistently you get used to excellent quality. I spent a good few bob updating sound system for blu ray and I really appreciate the difference even if my neighbours disagree. Lossless audio is stunning.

• Advertisement

Agreed, lossless sound is a definite plus - especially for John Murphy's stunning soundtrack to 'Sunshine'.

Fecking Amazon.co.uk are out of stock of The Nightmare Before Christmas Blu-ray.. so I've to wait til the end of the month before they'll send it out to me. Can't wait to see that on Blu-Ray.

Review:
    Nightmare's squeaky-clean image has obviously been touched up since DVD to remove artifacts, dirt and other unwanted blemishes that Blu-ray owners have grown to hate. The result is a sharp image that doesn't suffer from the dreaded digital noise reduction that some Blu-ray owners have grown to hate even more than dirt. An obvious edge halo only appears once, when Jack steps in front of the moon during his opening song. Otherwise, the transfer is more than pleasing from beginning to end.

Disney spared no expense on the audio front with an impressive 7.1 Dolby TrueHD 48 kHz/24-bit treatment. This mix has to be one of the cleanest and enveloping audio experiences on Blu-ray in the last several months. Voices are always spot-on accurate and easily heard, even when they're required to travel to the rear soundstage. One such scene involving the mayor speaking as he moves around the camera is translated perfectly through the mix to where it really sounds like the mayor is standing behind you. Other "surround moments" are so convincingly real that it is hard not to turn around.

Animation in HD does look amazing. I would try CDWow for Blu-Rays. They can be quite cheap compared to other websites and there are a few £1 off vouchers around.

Yeah, but I think you're missing the point.

Blu-Ray is more expensive because it's a new technology.. it's as simple as that. DVD's were the same when they were introduced compared to VHS.

It'll take at least 2 - 3 years when they're more established until they'll be able to push prices down. And even longer before you see them on sale at the same price as DVD's on sale.

It's saturation of the market.. simple as that!

Yea it's new technology so lets bump up the price 100% because there's alway those special people who are easily parted from their money , they console themselves with stories of it looks better so it must be worth it. It isn't worth it, the prices are artificially high because you people still buy them, if nobody bought them the prices would fall, some hope of that though there's always the few

Yea it's new technology so lets bump up the price 100% because there's alway those special people who are easily parted from their money ,
    Jesus.. are you even reading what I'm saying? If it's bumped up 100%, you're shopping in the wrong places!

Most new-release Blu-Ray's (bar the older films re-released) are typically €5 - €10 more than their DVD counterparts. Many people (including me) think it's more than worth the extra.
    they console themselves with stories of it looks better so it must be worth it. It isn't worth it
    Yeah, and people said no-one would embrace DVD when VHS was "just fine!"

No offence.. but you're clearly speaking out of your ass.. and not "worth it" - obviously spoken by someone who either has never seen a Blu-Ray or hasn't watched it on a nice 1080P LCD TV with a good 5.1 surround sound system behind it.
    , the prices are artificially high because you people still buy them, if nobody bought them the prices would fall, some hope of that though there's always the few
    "Artifically high"? Always the few that buy them? Sorry to beat an old horse.. but DVD was also highly (or "artifically") priced when it was released too. People still bought it in droves and eventually saturation occurred and prices dropped. Blu-Ray will be the exact same! ;)

If you haven't ordered it yet play have it in stock and as part of their 3 for 2 offer might be worth checking out. They have some other good titles in the offer.

Jesus.. are you even reading what I'm saying? If it's bumped up 100%, you're shopping in the wrong places!

Most new-release Blu-Ray's (bar the older films re-released) are typically €5 - €10 more than their DVD counterparts. Many people (including me) think it's more than worth the extra.

yes but I can guarantee that the discs don't cost 5-10 euro more to produce
    they are just a plastic disc - so I call bullsh1t on the price , the greedy buggers just slapped the biggest price on the things that they think those few "special" people will fork out.
    No offence.. but you're clearly speaking out of your ass.. and not "worth it" - obviously spoken by someone who either has never seen a Blu-Ray or hasn't watched it on a nice 1080P LCD TV with a good 5.1 surround sound system behind it.

Actually my pc is the bomb, I have a 26 inch monitor and 5.1 surround, I also have high speed BB so I've downloaded many 1080P, yes I can see an improvement in the picture, pimples, blackheads and all kinds of skin blemishes are now highly visible, however I don't think this equates to a higher price. Pricing something based on subjectivity is bullsh1t, what if in buying your next TV you were told they were slapping 500 extra onto the price because in their opinion it looked nicer than your old one, would you smile and hand over the readies ? I think not. same difference dude, think about it !
    "Artifically high"? Always the few that buy them? Sorry to beat an old horse.. but DVD was also highly (or "artifically") priced when it was released too.

that doesn't make it right , I'm always prepared to part with my money when the price is right, but in this case it ain't. In my opinion the price should be the same as DVD, it isn't because maybe 30% of the population are "special" and easily seperated from their money, the rest of us with sense will just buy dvds untill the price comes down - In short you basquille and people like you are the reason most of us are still buying DVD's,

• Advertisement

Eh why should it be the same price as a dvd? There is a massive difference in quality you realise?

thats subjective

But Blu Ray and DVD are two different types of technoogy. A Blu Ray disc can hold up to 50GB of info while a DVD can only hold 8GB at the most. Therefore, it would cost more to produce the product. The price of Blu Ray could have alot to do with demand. There isn't as big of demand for Blu Ray as DVD so the retailer won't buy as many BR discs so therefore wont get as big of a discount as they would when buying a big bulk of DVDs.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

DVD's were just as expensive if not more so when they came on the scene. They were just plastic aswell.

However, there is a difference in cost between a dual-layer DVD with a max capacity of 8.5GB, and a BD-DL with 50GB.

Also is the "economies of scale" as BD's are less popular than DVD, ergo they'll cost more, just like DVD did when VHS was the norm. As the BD's become more popular, they should become cheaper to manufacture/press.

Edit: Dman more or less beat me to it!

they would also be cheaper if nobody bought them at this price, thats all I'm saying

• Advertisement

What the hell is this guy on about?

dude it's easy, nobody buy blu-rays at the inflated price and they will have to drop the price to sell any, couldn't be any simpler

You off on some mission or something? Did you do the same with DVDs?

hey I've got your best interest at heart

they would also be cheaper if nobody bought them at this price, thats all I'm saying
    Ah now, MooseJam is right..

Listen.. if nobody buys a BMW at their inflated price, soon they'll drop down to the price of a 1999 Corsa.

That's the plan!

HA! :D

haha, this is so pathetic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Moose, your fighting a losing battle, DVD's were inflated a few years back, I remember paying nearly £30 punts for Titanic for a featureless movie only version in Dixons, this was back in the DVD = New technology times, Blu-Ray is still relatively new, people pay the premium to get the best quality picture and sound, no point saying its subjective if your watching Blu-Rays on a 26" monitor, you really need to watch on 37" plus size screens and run the sound through the a high-def amp like an Onkyo 605 or 606. One day it will be the norm and prices will tumble, but that time the next best thing will have come along and us early adaptors will jump ship and this arguement will come up again :)

Sorry Snake.. I couldn't read past that fact you paid £30 for Titanic! :D

Ah no.. you're spot on. I'm just watching the Cloverfield Blu-Ray on my 37" 1080P LCD TV through my Creative DDTS 5.1 decoder running to a Creative Inspire T6100 surround sound system and it truly is just brillant!

Don't get me wrong.. I still own a fair share of DVD's but watching a few Blu-Ray's have me sold. I'll still buy DVD's as they're far from past their sell-by date but watching big action flicks in HD (my copy of The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray is on pre-order for €19) is the only way to go.

Where did you get The Dark Knight for €19? Its a very good deal.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Where did you get The Dark Knight for €19? Its a very good deal.
    TheHut.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement