Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Troops hands Iraqi cities back to the Iraqis

Options
  • 13-11-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.military.com/news/article/us-troops-leaving-iraqi-cities.html

Although nothing new, I can see the American press hoping over this in the coming days, saying it's part of Obamas plan, etc, etc. The thing is, you can't just up and leave, without prior planning, esp for the logistics. They've moved into desert cities, nearby the main cities that they're leaving.

It's also seen as a gamble. When your child takes it first steps, without your help, they may walk, or they may fall face down, and cry. Likewise with the Iraqis: it's the best way to see can they handle themselves, or will they just go down the drain to pre-US intervention?

I see it as Vietnam all over again. The US goes in, fights, kicks ass, and when it's about to get somewhere, politicans pull the forces out. No doubt the Sunni's who helped the US will have their cries for help ignored, just like the cries of the ARVN were ignored when the US pulled out of there.

I'm hoping it'll pan out ok, but I don't know.
    Tagged:

Advertisement