Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacology

Options
  • 13-11-2008 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi. Thinking about doing pharmacology in UCD and was wondering if someone doing the course could give me their personal opinion on it - whats it like etc. Any info would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

bit of a bump but Im doing it and another two people here do it
    and I think its great, I will most likely be in college after my degree though but it is a good bit of work, are you thinking about going in as denominated?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the course is intersting itself,obviously,if ye like drugs :pac: how they work,what diseases they work on,what do u need to know to run some experiment in a lab etc

bear in mind tho,like woop implies (hi buddy it's 2am you are still here!ha),our future prospect is more likely to be a researcher,high chances in academia area,well,generally speaking 50% people who do science stay in academia i'd say.

take a look of chemistry,biochem,medicinal chem etc courses as well,you never know what do you like :Da friend of mine change his major to chem this year,he didnt like biology aspect much.do some research yourself.pharm course in UCD is good i can assure you about that.hardwork involved tho :pac:

seraphimvc wrote: »
    the course is intersting itself,obviously,if ye like drugs :pac: how they work,what diseases they work on,what do u need to know to run some experiment in a lab etc

bear in mind tho,like woop implies (hi buddy it's 2am you are still here!ha),our future prospect is more likely to be a researcher,high chances in academia area,well,generally speaking 50% people who do science stay in academia i'd say.

take a look of chemistry,biochem,medicinal chem etc courses as well,you never know what do you like :Da friend of mine change his major to chem this year,he didnt like biology aspect much.do some research yourself.pharm course in UCD is good i can assure you about that.hardwork involved tho :pac:
    ah yes just came in and dont wanna sleep so:p
    still though any of the major pharm companies will take you on...........myself and seraph were talking to all the major ones and they were happy to have us if you were interested in working with them so theyre are jobs in those areas, theres also teaching:rolleyes: which would depress me tbh and lots of others............college science in particular sorta trains/molds you so that you work in a certain way and I feel it will stand to me for the rest of my life

but as a degree and subject I love it .............suprised I do after all the cao madness but it all seemed to fall into place

look at the subjects you like now also remember that in 1st year you will do no pharm and little in 2nd year so dont be put off..........a lot of people drop out in 1st year.....combination of the workload, low points for the course and a few other things

lets here it for pharm!

1st yr science bored my a** off,they wanna make sure we know all the basic stuffs.

science degree may not have a high CAO points to get in,but you will be surprise how many people drop out every year :pac: no worry if you like the subjects tho,science courses are meant for people who like what they study,it is highly interesting due to you will go into something quite advanced in your field.*imagine the cool stuffs spoken by Grisom from CSI*:pac:

in case you are confused why we are talking science course now (instead of pharm),the system of the college is ,you can get into pharm from the general science course.same goes to biochem/chem/microbiology etc.you will need to fight for a place tho.

check out Conway's institute if you are interested.the biomedical research centre in UCD.we will do our final year project there.cool stuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'd reccomend you do omnibus entry (1st year is the sae regardless). Most people I know (including myself) who did pharmacology in 2nd year either went on to do chemistry instead, or did a joint with chemistry. Some now regret doing pharmacology joints.

It boils down to what you like, so make sure to do both in 2nd year and I urge you to do DN008 (omnibus) so that you don't limit your choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I did pharm though I finished up in 2007. It was once I started studying it that I really enjoyed it.

I'm currently doing a PhD in Conway (along with my "blondey" girlfriend, whom I read seraphimvc seems to perving over a bit) although the opportunities for jobs are varied; a good friend of mine and member of my pharm class recently got awarded european worker of the quarter in a very large international investment bank.

mloc wrote: »
    I did pharm though I finished up in 2007. It was once I started studying it that I really enjoyed it.

I'm currently doing a PhD in Conway (along with my "blondey" girlfriend, whom I read seraphimvc seems to perving over a bit) although the opportunities for jobs are varied; a good friend of mine and member of my pharm class recently got awarded european worker of the quarter in a very large international investment bank.
    lol mloc thats the mystery senior i believe none of us have met him before

now before this thread get too steamy and lock by our overlord...i wanna say thank you for she was indeed an eye candy during the summer camp,tho i must say there are plenty of blondeyyy in conway:pac::pac::pac:

p/s:yes,mloc your flickr has sold you out!
    p/s2:yes!scientists are hot:Pdo science!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

It's less technical than chem/biochem so if you're interested in qc/qa etc you might be better served with a different course. Clinical/regulatory stuff it's great for as well as the fact you can branch into different areas as Mloc said.

For the record I graduated this year with a 2.1 in Pharmacology and can't get a related job at all, fun times, time for a masters so lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

now before this thread get too steamy and lock by our overlord...i wanna say thank you for she was indeed an eye candy during the summer camp,tho i must say there are plenty of blondeyyy in conway:pac::pac::pac:

p/s:yes,mloc your flickr has sold you out!
    p/s2:yes!scientists are hot:Pdo science!!

Why thank you.

As a PhD student, I do of course spend a considerable amount of time on here, and I am guessing you were a UREKA student of some sort... stung. :pac:

Bui wrote: »
    Why thank you.

As a PhD student, I do of course spend a considerable amount of time on here, and I am guessing you were a UREKA student of some sort... stung. :pac:
    *click username--->wow,homepage?*

rofl as a man,i for one vote this thread as the most embarassing thread in UCD forum history...

and m'am while i mentioned 'summer camp' in a research center i guess it is pretty obvious that i was one of those kids who running around in the building during summer:D

should have pretended i was lost and ask for asistance from you:pac:i actually did that and visited some research group in that way

• Advertisement

*click username--->wow,homepage?*

rofl as a man,i for one vote this thread as the most embarassing thread in UCD forum history...

and m'am while i mentioned 'summer camp' in a research center i guess it is pretty obvious that i was one of those kids who running around in the building during summer:D

should have pretended i was lost and ask for asistance from you:pac:i actually did that and visited some research group in that way

Cute... and yes you win the prize for getting yourself stung so badly - you really should be more careful, UCD is actually much smaller than you think, as is this forum! I'm guessing you're one of these enthusiastic summer campers. You also realise your fourth year project will be in one of the groups here, I have two pharm and one biochem this year, try not to get yourself in too much trouble, you never know where you'll wind up!

OP, you've seen what a fun bunch of people go into this field, with an unmatched ability to embarrass themselves... It's a fun course that way!
    I myself did my undergrad in Biochem, most of my friends were in Pharm and if its biomedical research you're interested in going into, I'd recommend it. Like most courses, it gets more interesting as you get further into it. Job prospects coming from these degrees are better then most, and there is always the option to stay in academia like a few of us here. As has already been suggested, if you are unsure try general omnibus entry and try a few different modules before you make your decision.

Yeah I should prob point out when I went into science in 2003 there was no denominated entry for Pharm, just the omnibus option.

I was actually set on chemistry until the 2nd year exams when I put some time into studying Pharm and realised I found it really interesting. Very glad I did; a great course and a great class of people. I took a year to change my surroundings a bit when I finished and did a Masters In Management in Smurfit before returning to Conway to start a PhD in Nutrigenomics, an area not directly related to Pharmacology but where the skills and knowledge I built up in my Pharm degree could be applied in a slightly different area.

Perhaps if you are really having trouble deciding, talk to a lecturer? I'm not sure who's running the Pharm course at the moment but I'm sure if you rang UCD they could tell you. Taking the initiative to find out more would most likely be appreciated by the lecturer.

Cute... and yes you win the prize for getting yourself stung so badly - you really should be more careful, UCD is actually much smaller than you think, as is this forum! I'm guessing you're one of these enthusiastic summer campers. You also realise your fourth year project will be in one of the groups here, I have two pharm and one biochem this year, try not to get yourself in too much trouble, you never know where you'll wind up!

well i have always been careful on internetz since IT IS a serious business :oi was just for a moment forgot internetz has wimmin too...:(

and i have to point out that that photo is the worst photo i have ever seen....or the way i was taken in that photo...*i defo shud stick my photobucket link here,i do care about camera/shooting angle!*

i am pretty sure people in Conway are all cool people,especially i didnt say anything offensive,quite the other way around actually...so no worries:D

now i wonder OP just disappear after opened the thread lol

well i have always been careful on internetz since IT IS a serious business :oi was just for a moment forgot internetz has wimmin too...:(

and i have to point out that that photo is the worst photo i have ever seen....or the way i was taken in that photo...*i defo shud stick my photobucket link here,i do care about camera/shooting angle!*

i am pretty sure people in Conway are all cool people,especially i didnt say anything offensive,quite the other way around actually...so no worries:D

now i wonder OP just disappear after opened the thread lol

This is a common problem, most people take the 'assume male until proven otherwise' stance here, generally I find it quite amusing! Also I wasn't saying you were being offensive, I was merely joking as you never know which lab group you might end up in thats all! I'm sure you'll get on just fine if you were nerdy enough to do UREKA (I did it too when I was an undergrad so Im allowed say that) :p

I think the OP had been scared off, that or this thread helped him make up his mind very quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Bui wrote:
    OP, you've seen what a fun bunch of people go into this field, with an unmatched ability to embarrass themselves... It's a fun course that way!
    noted

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it

Well its good to know that its interesting. I think I might really like it.

Sorry for not responding sooner; I don't often post as you probably have guest, but I certainly read the posts:o

well I'll just keep zippin around for info. May as well take a good look at the other science courses.

This is a common problem, most people take the 'assume male until proven otherwise' stance here, generally I find it quite amusing! Also I wasn't saying you were being offensive, I was merely joking as you never know which lab group you might end up in thats all! I'm sure you'll get on just fine if you were nerdy enough to do UREKA (I did it too when I was an undergrad so Im allowed say that) :p

I think the OP had been scared off, that or this thread helped him make up his mind very quickly!
    lol need to behave since ya showed up guess i am doing well here*nerd wink*

ohya i remember now,biochem is for hardcore all the way, killed me for the 100+ enzyme names in metabolism pathways,you heard this HUNK!good luck in your LC anyway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cajl2

A pharm graduate working in an investment bank? How does that work out?

cajl2 wrote: »
    A pharm graduate working in an investment bank? How does that work out?

Very very well, he's on about ten times our salary! That's what you get for staying in academia....

Basically it looks very well on your cv; with a good science degree, you can get in most places, they take you into a graduate program and train you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

great news tribulus. graduated with a 2.1 and can't get a job. thats just bloody fantastic news while im taking a break from studying for my pharmacology exams. great boost of encouragement. feck. :(

your the guy who hangs around tissue culture from time to time then. you know R hates you.....but she does hate everyone. pure evil.

• Advertisement

Pharm07 wrote: »
    your the guy who hangs around tissue culture from time to time then. you know ruth hates you.....but she does hate everyone. pure evil.

Hmmm prob not me, don't use TC at the moment. Who is Ruth?

Hmmm prob not me, don't use TC at the moment. Who is X?

next

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Your not the guy who comes in looking for "blondey?" Must be someone else then. Ruth the polish girl with the really red hair, kinda glares at everyone and usually wears earphones in TC. Have heard many people in the lab refer to her as (sarcastic voice) "my best friend." everyone seems to have had a little run in with ruth. Her anger amuses me though cos im only a temp :p.

Now this I have to know... is this the big TC suite in core technologies wing or elsewhere.

I think we should be told. Purely so that I can avoid another of the Conway's famous "strong female personalities" :cool:

Ah is this in the 1st West TC suite? Yeah that's me then I guess! Ah Ruth, didn't know her name, never spoken to her I think; I'm sure she's grand!

BTW I'd be careful about talking about people by name etc. here, boards.ie has a larger audience than you'd expect!

yeah i'm sure she is nice, i just heard some people in the lab bitching about her. ive never even being talking to her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

great news tribulus. graduated with a 2.1 and can't get a job. thats just bloody fantastic news while im taking a break from studying for my pharmacology exams. great boost of encouragement. feck. :(

In fairness I haven't been trying that long and part of it is that there's feck all graduate jobs being advertised more so than I'm being turned down. I also haven't sent a speculative CV to any agencies yet which is the next step although I'm not a big fan of them.

Just suck up big time to the ICON and Shire Pharm people when they come to give you a talk :pac:

tribulus wrote: »
    In fairness I haven't been trying that long and part of it is that there's feck all graduate jobs being advertised more so than I'm being turned down. I also haven't sent a speculative CV to any agencies yet which is the next step although I'm not a big fan of them.

Just suck up big time to the ICON and Shire Pharm people when they come to give you a talk :pac:

ICON.............I dunno about that crowd they sure seem to like theyre data co-ordination

seraphi............this thread is quite hilarious...........the pic is the icing on the cake

and its good to see post grads have lots for doing :D
    probably waiting for some gel or something

:confused:

HUNK wrote: »
    :confused:
    sorry I dont know how to help you..............I always think itd be a good thing if somebody like yourself could come to one of our or 2nd year lectures to see what its like............problem is you dont ever really see the course until you start it

I think I said it before but I love it.............but the people make it, you get youre nerds and seeing as Im posting here could be considered one but you get a great mix has to be said and Ive met lots of good people that I have plenty in common with

• Advertisement

woop wrote: »
    sorry I dont know how to help you..............I always think itd be a good thing if somebody like yourself could come to one of our or 2nd year lectures to see what its like............problem is you dont ever really see the course until you start it

I think I said it before but I love it.............but the people make it, you get youre nerds and seeing as Im posting here could be considered one but you get a great mix has to be said and Ive met lots of good people that I have plenty in common with

k :D

Advertisement