Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squarepusher takes over the Guardian website's music section

• 13-11-2008 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Squarepusher takes over the Guardian website's music section. He decides that all music singles are rubbish, talks about the art of noise, including noiseniks like Russolo, and performs a new drums and bass (not drum'n'bass) piece specially commissioned for the Guardian.

Enjoy!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/series/squarepusher-takeover

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Great stuff, nice to see Russolo being discussed after all these years :pac:

Anyone now what squarepusher's new record is like? Liked Hello Everything but not as much as his more 'hardcore' earlier albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Daddio wrote: »
    Great stuff, nice to see Russolo being discussed after all these years :pac:

Anyone now what squarepusher's new record is like? Liked Hello Everything but not as much as his more 'hardcore' earlier albums.

Wasn't mad about the new album but I've only listened a couple of times so maybe its a grower. I'm a big fan of some of the stuff he did about a decade ago, especially Hard Normal Daddy.

I've heard that his earliest stuff (which he released under his real name, Tom Jenkinson) is absolutely nuts drill'n'bass but I've never come across it, has anyone heard it?

Yeah, Hard Normal Daddy is fantastic. I think my favourite of his is Go Plastic though, it gets fairly manic at times. I don't know what his earliest stuff is like though, it hasn't been officially released yet has it?

I've listened to Just A Souvenir (the new album) again and I'm really not enamoured :p

To any potential Squarepusher fans reading this I'd recommend picking up Hard Normal Daddy. Or Burning'n Tree if you really like your drum'n'bass with nicely mashed-up Amen breaks. Or This Is Squarepusher if you like crazy digital drill'n'bass madness. Tis all good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

cornbb wrote: »
    Wasn't mad about the new album but I've only listened a couple of times so maybe its a grower. I'm a big fan of some of the stuff he did about a decade ago, especially Hard Normal Daddy.

I've heard that his earliest stuff (which he released under his real name, Tom Jenkinson) is absolutely nuts drill'n'bass but I've never come across it, has anyone heard it?

It's not that hard to come across

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Tom+Jenkinson

I really like his new album - it's a very logical progression from Ultravisitor and Hello Everything. Really wish I was going to see one of his live shows soon - meant to be a full band show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Major squarepusher fan here
    <---- who'd have thunk it?

I'm not that impressed with his guardian stuff or other writings or anything and stick purely to the music and then again mostly to the live sets which is where he shines...
    live at Liquid 1997, Roppongi Set 2004, bangface, the breezebock sets, alive in Japan etc (all available at watmm.com). Going to Manchester gig in Dec and hopefully will record the lot on vid.

His new stuff is great.. back to the thrash metal roots. I know it'll be even better live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I haven't been wowwed by the new album at all even though I haven't given it a 'proper' listen. Had it on in the background but nothing caught my attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think squarepusher's last 3/4 albums have been very dissappointing, I don't feel the urge to get his new album at all because I'm just expecting to be dissappointed now. I used to be a big fan, and I love his earlier stuff but I think he's gone a bit up his own rear end lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i received The pushers new ep just before Xmas -its very good, if you like his eraly stuff you'll like this, has an acid feel to it - its out in January or february

Squarepusher live in Dublin - April 25th. Venue tbc.

• Advertisement

Where did you hear this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Umack is putting it on...he posted about it over on thumped.com :)

It's fo' real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Awesome-oh.

:cool:

Actually, considering there are so many IDM heads on here, could we use this as an opportunity for an experimental music beers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Dammit, I'll prob be in Canada for this :( /spitewishes he plays his recent jazzy attempts rather than his baddass d'n'b stuff

Kold wrote: »
    Dammit, I'll prob be in Canada for this :( /spitewishes he plays his recent jazzy attempts rather than his baddass d'n'b stuff

I think thats pretty likely, given the direction his last album seemed to be headed. That and the fact that he'll be touring with a band (or at least a drummer).

Kold wrote: »

It'll be a mixture of both, based on recent setlists. Hopefully finishing with Journey to Reedham

John wrote: »
    Actually, considering there are so many IDM heads on here, could we use this as an opportunity for an experimental music beers?

Yes, thats a great idea, I'd love to make it to this gig and I reckon lots of the regulars here would too :)

Time for a new thread methinks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

penexpers wrote: »
    It'll be a mixture of both, based on recent setlists. Hopefully finishing with Journey to Reedham

Yeah I was reckoning that too, I would love a bit of drill and bass!
    Have you seen the set-up he uses these days? It's impressive.

Yeah I was reckoning that too, I would love a bit of drill and bass!
    Have you seen the set-up he uses these days? It's impressive.

No, but the gear-slut in me would love to see. Any links?

Advertisement