Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH vs SCOTCH whisky -(ey)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Was up in Bushmills in Antrim recently- the 12 year old they sell on the premises only is excellent- very smooth- 16 year old also good- they use a comination of bourbon port and sherry casks to age the whiskey and use hot air to roast the barley as opposed to peat fires so you can taste the difference over peat roasted

In terms of other whiskeys, 8 year old single malt Lockes distillery from Kilbeggan is good- especially served with just a bit of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 therealzilch

I happened upon this thread by googling "Irish vs Scottish whisky". I just wanted to say de gustibus non est disputandem: there's no reason for any competition here. I love Laphroaig and prefer Scottish whisky in general, but I can see that it's just a matter of taste.

cheers from cloudy Vienna, zilch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Irish Whiskey all the way. 12 year old Jameson is nice stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I happened upon this thread by googling "Irish vs Scottish whisky". I just wanted to say de gustibus non est disputandem: there's no reason for any competition here. I love Laphroaig and prefer Scottish whisky in general, but I can see that it's just a matter of taste.

cheers from cloudy Vienna, zilch

Absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There are no real "Irish distilleries" any more though. There are a few distilleries in Ireland but they as Irish as Guinness, as in not owned on run by Irish companies.

I'm a fan of either, depends on what it is. Overall, Scotland probably has better whiskey because it has a much wider selection than we do. And then you have stuff like Ballantines which my wife unknowingly brought me back. Tastes like cheap whiskey to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Saruman wrote: »
    There are no real "Irish distilleries" any more though. There are a few distilleries in Ireland but they as Irish as Guinness, as in not owned on run by Irish companies.

Thats going to change over the next few years.

Indeed it will. The porterhouse is one that springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Saruman wrote: »
    Indeed it will. The porterhouse is one that springs to mind.

Have you any source for how they are getting on with that?

No source but I head on the grapevine that we should be seeing some form of spirit (gin perhaps) in the coming months. The Whiskey will not be ready for at least another year though.

They have commissioned the stills, which have been completed. Might be in Dingle by now. They're raising funds through a Founding Fathers scheme.

There's two new distilleries going ahead in Northern Ireland, one in Belfast and one in Derry.

The Teelings are planning two distilleries.

Slane Castle is planning a distillery.

There's a few planned for the west of Ireland and one in Wicklow.

I believe there's about 12 altogether.

The Irishman might even be doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Brockagh wrote: »
    They have commissioned the stills, which have been completed. Might be in Dingle by now. They're raising funds through a Founding Fathers scheme.

There's two new distilleries going ahead in Northern Ireland, one in Belfast and one in Derry.

The Teelings are planning two distilleries.

Slane Castle is planning a distillery.

There's a few planned for the west of Ireland and one in Wicklow.

I believe there's about 12 altogether.

The Irishman might even be doing something.

That would be brilliant if it all works out.

Advertisement