Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Driving Licence

Options
  • 13-11-2008 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi folks,

Grateful for some advice on an unusual driving licence query.

I have had now for many years a full Irish driving licence. However, as I learned to drive in an automatic and took the test in one, my licence is (naturally) confined to automatic cars.

I knew this would be the case at the time and it didn't bother me. However, lately, I've been thinking it would be good to be able to drive any car (the vast majority of which are manuals).

I was just wondering how I would go about learning to drive a manual car licence-wise. I realise I'd have to go through the whole learning process (theory test, practical), presumably on a provisional licence. My question is what happens to my full Irish licence for automatics? Am I still licensed to drive automatics as a full license holder (i.e., without the need for a full license holder with me at all times) whilst also holding a provisional license for manuals? This is very important, as I'm not in a position to fully revert to 'learner' status, as I currently need to be able to drive an automatic unaccompanied to get to work.

Hope I've made myself clear.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You will need to apply for a B learner permit, however you will not need to re-do the theory test as you already have done it for the relevant category. You'd need to be accompanied by a fully licensed (unrestricted) driver who has held his/her license for at least 2 years, while driving a Manual, you are fully licensed to drive an auto, you do not get demoted by choosing to learn to drive a fully manual car. So yes, you'd still be able to drive an auto unaccomp while holding a learner permit for a manual B.

Advertisement